Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recovering maintenance from father moved to UK

Options
  • 14-03-2011 7:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi

Ive just joined so apologies if i am not using this correctly. im hoping that some one can possibly give me some advice. i have a 7 year old daughter and myself and her father seperated 4 years ago. It wasnt very pleasant and it took me 2 years before i had the courage to go through the courts to seek maintenance. I was awarded 50 euro per week and later an increase to 70 euro per week. Needless to say the payments were not kept up to date. the last payment i received was May 2010 and in june her father shipped himself off to england. i have gone through the district court and filled in forms for a recovery of payments out of jurisdiction which i have been told goes through the high court and then to courts in the UK. it was an awful lot of hassle and took months before i was assured they had been sent off... now im told that it is out of their hands and they can no longer deal with it or advise me further that i simply have to wait for a reply!!!!!

Im currently in my 3rd year of studies in college and lost my job in June... i cant survive any longer without maintenance and i have been told by the district court that it is unlikely arrears will be recovered as he can state he is unable to pay. I may have to drop out of my degree year and seek fulltime work otherwise as i have no other income than loan parent.

can anyone advise me

a) who i can contact to follow up on the arrears
    b) who i can contact to have the payments reinstated
    and
    c) what is the likelihood that i will recieve the arrears.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Hi,

I've moved your question to a thread of it's own.

Do you have a solicitor??

January.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 single mummy

Hi

Ive just joined so apologies if i am not using this correctly. im hoping that some one can possibly give me some advice. i have a 7 year old daughter and myself and her father seperated 4 years ago. It wasnt very pleasant and it took me 2 years before i had the courage to go through the courts to seek maintenance. I was awarded 50 euro per week and later an increase to 70 euro per week. Needless to say the payments were not kept up to date. the last payment i received was May 2010 and in june her father shipped himself off to england. i have gone through the district court and filled in forms for a recovery of payments out of jurisdiction which i have been told goes through the high court and then to courts in the UK. it was an awful lot of hassle and took months before i was assured they had been sent off... now im told that it is out of their hands and they can no longer deal with it or advise me further that i simply have to wait for a reply!!!!!

Im currently in my 3rd year of studies in college and lost my job in June... i cant survive any longer without maintenance and i have been told by the district court that it is unlikely arrears will be recovered as he can state he is unable to pay. I may have to drop out of my degree year and seek fulltime work otherwise as i have no other income than loan parent.

can anyone advise me

and
    Hi

Thanks a million for that, much appreciated.
    I do have a solicitor and he is very good and not too costly but the maintenance was paid through the courts so as far as i know it has to be followed up in the same way.
    I just really need someone to point me in the right direction, maybe there is some where i can contact in the Uk???

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

Thank you so much. Hopefully Ill get somewhere with this organisation. I will let you know :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

There's a bit on it here,Solo.ie Support for People Parenting Alone, as well, seems you might be able to enforce through the courts here. Worth a ring anyway.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

Hi

can anyone advise me

and

You should look at the college to see if there is an option to support you at your stage of education to continue said education rather than just dropping out (if that is your main intention).

The last thing that the college wants is to see you as an intelligent indivdual drop out at this stage, they have already invested a lot in you. You would be surprised at the amount of support that they could provide.

If you really want to continue to your final year then I am sure that you should really talk to them and consider your options to finalise your education which will lead to better options for you and your child over some idiot that is a waster dad. Concentrate on that fact and you will end up being a serious earner due to your qualification and subsequent expertise.

You should really be looking at people that can help you in the college system (and they will) over concentrating and spending time on an abscent dad that will not pay out financially. Really and truly that is a waste of your time. Stick to 'revenge' by being sucessful;)

There will come a time when the waster dad comes back like the prodigal son / asshole, you will be in a postition determined by you and the child to see him as the waster that he was and is in the future. Take comfort in that for now, it will happen, stay on course and complete your course. Don't let him bring you down is all I can say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Splendour

Hi single mommy, I would agree with Deliverance and put your energy into your studies and your daughter. Pursuing maintenance can be time consuming, costly and exhausting.
    Have you looked into applying for a student grant? http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/education/third_level_education/fees_and_supports_for_third_level_education/higher_education_grants_scheme.html Not much use to you at this time of the year but I know but will be a big help next term if you continue with your studies.

Thank you. It does seem im at a dead end as the Irish courts say its out of their hands as they have sent on the info and the UK courts say they cannot do anything until the courts here have communicated with them. :-(

Hi Deliverance/Splendour

Thank you very much. Yes I have looked into a maintenance grant, however due to the fact that i was employed during this tax year, my earnings are over the limit :-(... im sure i can finish this year with a struggle, but completing my honours is looking highly unlikely. I had talked to the college before regarding support from within the system, however, unfortunately they consider the tax year when assessing your earnings also... so again i do not qualify :-( My average grade over the 3 years is a distinction1 so maybe next year things may change as then I will have been unemployed for a year. Heres to hoping!!!! Thanks a million for all your comments, its horrible to think "father" is happily living a comfortable life elsewhere without a care in the world. But cest la vie, unfortunately ive begun to accept that phrase.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Thank you. It does seem im at a dead end as the Irish courts say its out of their hands as they have sent on the info and the UK courts say they cannot do anything until the courts here have communicated with them. :-(

That was my suspicion but keep at them. Try and get a contact to deal with and keep ringing them regularly.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Hi

Thank you very much. Yes i have looked into a maintenance grant, however due to the fact that i was employed during this tax year, my earnings are over the limit :-(... im sure i can finish this year with a struggle, but completing my honours is looking highly unlikely. I had talked to the college before regarding support from within the system, however, unfortunately they consider the tax year when assessing your earnings also... so again i do not qualify :-(

Contact the Welfare Officer of the Student's Union - they will be able to advise what is available from various funds and help with applications. They may also be able to provide help from the USI Welfare Fund.

Also some universities employ student help at above minimum wage -usually in the library. The Welfare Officer will be able to tell you if this is the case.

Oh i wasnt aware of that, thank you... i will follow through , id probably enjoy that too.

K-9 wrote: »
    That was my suspicion but keep at them. Try and get a contact to deal with and keep ringing them regularly.

I intend to.... great to see such an excellent system in place, lol. thanks a million for all your feedback. it has been very helpful :-)

Rebecca Murphy is the national welfare Officer for the USI - her contact details can be found here: http://www.usi.ie/officers/welfare-officer.html

She is very good at what she does and knows everything about what options are available to help you.

Feel free to tell her I suggested she contact you - she will recognise my user name.

I have taken the liberty of emailing a link to this thread to Rebecca and advised her you may be in touch. Hope you don't mind.

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Rebecca Murphy is the national welfare Officer for the USI - her contact details can be found here: http://www.usi.ie/officers/welfare-officer.html

She is very good at what she does and knows everything about what options are available to help you.

Feel free to tell her I suggested she contact you - she will recognise my user name.

Thank You so much

No problem at all. Just emailed her the link. I know she is in London at the moment but is due back next week.

Advertisement