Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I get an exemption from Irish?

• 14-03-2011 8:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭

I was born in Ukraine and moved here when I was around 4, lived here ever since but I've been doing Foundation level ever since I came to this country and even when I was doing common levels in primary school I still sucked really badly. I have an Irish passport and I am a Irish citizen, for a long time now but still I am curious if I can get an exemption?

Thanks,

Vladimir.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Hey_Buddy

Scene that you lived here since you were 4 you cant because you have being doing it since a young age...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Short ans, no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭njd2010

I've seen people get exempt from some or part of Irish for medical reasons (Dyslexia, ADD etc) but otherwise if you've been here since before the age of 11 you have to do it. I moved here from the US when I was 6, I have to do it too.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

I was born in Ukraine and moved here when I was around 4, lived here ever since but I've been doing Foundation level ever since I came to this country and even when I was doing common levels in primary school I still sucked really badly. I have an Irish passport and I am a Irish citizen, for a long time now but still I am curious if I can get an exemption?

Thanks,

Vladimir.

My friend was born in England but moved here even younger then you , he got an exemption for the leaving , write to the department of education and speak to your principal or guidance counseller about it .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Probably not but no harm in trying, ring the department.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

The DOE / SEC are strict about giving out Irish exemptions. If you have passed Irish in your Junior Cert. You won't get one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

unknown13 wrote: »
    The DOE / SEC are strict about giving out Irish exemptions. If you have passed Irish in your Junior Cert. You won't get one.
    ...untrue! :P I did JC Irish, and LC Irish; they let me off the second time around etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

You are not entitled to an exemption under the DES rules.

However, the NUI criteria are much looser. You can get an exemption from the Irish requirement for NUI colleges once you were born outside Ireland. TCD does not have an Irish requirement - it's regarded in the same way as any other second language.

The upshot of all this is that, according to the rules, you must continue to study Irish as a subject, but there's no reason why can't go on to university if you fail it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

theowen wrote: »
    ...untrue! :P I did JC Irish, and LC Irish; they let me off the second time around etc.

That's not an exemption. Once you have passed Irish once at LC level it can be counted to fulfill requirements for a college course.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,232 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

OP - can you do Russian or Polish in your Leaving to compensate for Irish (points-wise anyway)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

That's not an exemption. Once you have passed Irish once at LC level it can be counted to fulfill requirements for a college course.
    Sorry, should have explained. I was going for Medicine, so I had to satisfy the matriculation requirements in the same year applying for the course. So I did need it, but they let me off. Supposedly schools lie i.e. dismiss any students queries because they get more money for more students taking Irish. Don't know though.

Advertisement