Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guy knocking on your door intending to rob the place!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭managerman

-Vega- wrote: »
    Nice recession buster!

bargain alerts!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

Robbers are so courteous in rathmines, here they just kick the door in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Inbox

Happened here in Raheny to us last year. They have seen my folks going out,my car was in getting fixed so looked like nobody home.I was up having a snooze after work and dinner. Guy rang bell once then rang it loads of times . I was like WTF ,saw him waking off.

10 mins later heard a noise from the back downstairs,thought to myself **** they're trying to break in,I got up and dressed as I wa putting shoes on heard them open the hall door and start walking upstairs .

Well all of a sudden the prehistoric man in me came alive and I grabbed my baseball bat that Ive had handy beside the bed for 20 years for this exact moment :D I chased them out screaming I'm going to effing kill ye! I rang Garda and they caught somebody,but my dad didn't want to press charges....sure they knew where we lived

There hasnt been a break in the estate since from what I know :D

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭breadandjam

I might be a bit paranoid but when I'm leaving the house empty I always shout in "See ye later" before I close the door and wave at the window as I walk away :)
    My dog also goes mental whenever anyone comes to the door so that helps too.

The guy next door to me got done the other day- two guys in high viz jackets told him they were checking the water and while he brought one out to the kitchen the other one ransacked his upstairs- didn't get anything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

The guy next door to me got done the other day- two guys in high viz jackets told him they were checking the water and while he brought one out to the kitchen the other one ransacked his upstairs- didn't get anything

Always ask for ID before you let anyone in and ring head office etc. to make sure they are in fact legitimate. If they're the real deal they shouldn't mind.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭R.Dub.Fusilier

no matter what part of dublin you live in you can be sure your back door , at one time or another, has been checked by an thief to see if it is open. if you get one of these callers report it to the peelers to be on the safe side.

PS if you hear your neighbours alarm going off in the middle of the day have a look over the fence , just to be on the safe side.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭sushisushi

That guy is probably legit.

Insurance selling door to door isn't new and has always been going on. I don't realy know your area but around here, I remember lots of calls from salesmen every few months, I know most of them at this stage.

The only 'salesmen' we've ever had are blokes wanting to do your gutterin' or wash your driveway. Or the occasional Eircom phonewatch person, who always has a branded jacket and prominent ID. This guy had no ID, no mention of a company and was a bit vague on what he was actually selling, so it still rings the dodgy bells here, unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭tapfit2004

2 lads tried to rob the car outside my house one saturday night last year, i heard them and went out and confronted them.

They kicked the car and said they could do what they wanted. I told them to f off so they came after me and followed me back to the front door.

I saw the vacuum cleaner tube on the hall floor as they followed me in and picked it up and swung it around to scare them away.

They retreated back to the footpath but then one of them made a run at me to try and take it off me.

I jumped out of the way and swung it at him. I hit him on the ear with it and bent the tube on the side of his head.

He fell around a bit and landed on his back out of it.

The other fella tried to come at me but i caught him twice on the legs and he backed off.

I went back and stood over the first fella, he couldn't get up. I was so wound up i was Going to hit him again but my brother shouted to stop.

He eventually got up and staggered off with his mate.

I dont condone voilence but when someone attacks you you should be entitled to defend yourself.

I didnt calm down for a few hours but i'd do the same again.

No respect for anything in this socitity anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

There was a group of guys going around last summer selling door locks on wooden planks along with the keys for these locks. I actually couldn't believe that some of my neighbors were buying them and getting them installed. I had to explain (for about 20 minutes) to one of my neighbors that those guys will probably come back and let themselves into the house.

Apparently it was legit because they handed her a piece of paper saying they were licenced and had been in business for 20 years. It was obviously fake by looking at it.

We get lads calling to the door selling DVDs and all the rest still. One guy called about 2 weeks ago and I stupidly answered the door thinking it was a take away delivery driver.He was trying to peddle DVDs and gadgets to me and when I said I didn't want any he stood there for about 5 minutes arguing with me that I was closing the door in his face. Obviously I won't be closing the door in your face if you just turn around and píss off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭edwinkane

I might be a bit paranoid but when I'm leaving the house empty I always shout in "See ye later" before I close the door and wave at the window as I walk away :)
    My dog also goes mental whenever anyone comes to the door so that helps too.

I often leave the Radio on on Radio4. Then if anyone does come around, they'll hear voices in the house. It may not be a good deterrent, but it might just fool some opportunists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Prior to buying our house the missus and myself rented in Hampton Square on the Navan Road. It's a gated apartment complex with a handyman on site for most of the day:

153966.jpg

http://maps.google.com/maps?source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=hampton+square+navan+road&aq=&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=50.823846,79.013672&ie=UTF8&hq=hampton+square+navan+road&radius=15000.000000&split=1&hnear=&ll=53.362311,-6.302317&spn=0.002279,0.006866&t=h&z=18&layer=c&cbll=53.361961,-6.302679&panoid=tIwPV6YSli8uboWfdDnkaw&cbp=12,180,,0,0.21

Don't think that an apartment complex can offer more security than a house. This place was robbed many times during the year that we lived there. The cops dropped leaflets warning people to lock their doors on more than one occasion. Ground floor apartments are especially vulnerable. The amount of cars which would pull up to the gates and sit there until someone let them in was shocking. I used to keep a bicycle in the 'secure' bicycle shed but stopped after it had been forced open. My neighbour who had lived there longer told me it wasn't the first time it had happened. Rather than replacing the gate the management company twisted the busted parts back into shape.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭edwinkane

Prior to buying our house the missus and myself rented in Hampton Square on the Navan Road. It's a gated apartment complex with a handyman on site for most of the day:

153966.jpg

http://maps.google.com/maps?source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=hampton+square+navan+road&aq=&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=50.823846,79.013672&ie=UTF8&hq=hampton+square+navan+road&radius=15000.000000&split=1&hnear=&ll=53.362311,-6.302317&spn=0.002279,0.006866&t=h&z=18&layer=c&cbll=53.361961,-6.302679&panoid=tIwPV6YSli8uboWfdDnkaw&cbp=12,180,,0,0.21

Don't think that an apartment complex can offer more security than a house. This place was robbed many times during the year that we lived there. The cops dropped leaflets warning people to lock their doors on more than one occasion. Ground floor apartments are especially vulnerable. The amount of cars which would pull up to the gates and sit there until someone let them in was shocking. I used to keep a bicycle in the 'secure' bicycle shed but stopped after it had been forced open. My neighbour who had lived there longer told me it wasn't the first time it had happened. Rather than replacing the gate the management company twisted the busted parts back into shape.

Of course, thats often down to the lack of community cooperative spirit. While a car can wait outside until someone else drives along and then follow them in or out,. if it were me I'd stop in just beyond the gateway and, if I didn't know them, would point out that its a private car park, and while we are talking the gates would have time to close.

Likewise, many apartment blocks have a lock on the front door, and if someone is hanging about the door waiting to be let in, I'd ask them to wait outside until the person they are visiting opens the door for them.

A handyman on site isn't a security guard!

In many apartment blocks, the lack of community spirit and lack of cooperation contributes greatly to a lack of security.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

edwinkane wrote: »
    Of course, thats often down to the lack of community cooperative spirit. While a car can wait outside until someone else drives along and then follow them in or out,. if it were me I'd stop in just beyond the gateway and, if I didn't know them, would point out that its a private car park, and while we are talking the gates would have time to close.

Oh I completely agree, I only knew my neighbour across the hallway as we parked our bikes beside each other and at that I just knew him to say hello.
    edwinkane wrote: »
    A handyman on site isn't a security guard!

Of course, you're right but the majority of robberies happened during daylight. You would imagine someone onsite would be some sort of deterrent.

Advertisement