Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homefront

Options
  • 14-03-2011 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Edge mag gave the game 5/10. Would be disappointed if I paid full price for what is at best 6 hour single player campaign. Nothing original about the game. Suppose all our hopes are with crysis 2 now.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

oneoff wrote: »
    Edge mag gave the game 5/10. Would be disappointed if I paid full price for what is at best 6 hour single player campaign. Nothing original about the game. Suppose all our hopes are with crysis 2 now.

It was bound to happen. Every FPS multiplayer is basically the same thing, just with a few added features here and there. Tack on to that a crap excuse for making the single player purchase your game (€50 for less than 4 hours of play) and it was never going to work. I'd be hard pressed to even rent this to be honest, that still costs too much for what it gives :D.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Thats disapointing,I wasn't gonna get it anyway for a few months anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Redlion

We've also got Battlefield 3 incoming, so there's quite a bit of hope yet! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭NunianVonFuch

The Call of Duty series, the Battlefield: Bad Company series and Medal of Honor all say: "Hello!" :D

Also: multiplayer.

The Call of Duty series, the Battlefield: Bad Company series and Medal of Honor all say: "Hello!" :D

Also: multiplayer.

Multiplayer doesn't excuse a poor half hearted single player mode. COD and Bad Company at least made a decent attempt at a story with some reasonable length to it (for example the Black Ops campaign lasted me about 8 hours and was worth every cent).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

I thought this was being advertised as a single player game :s 6 hours is pathetic unless its an insanely good 6 hours.

Magill wrote: »
    I thought this was being advertised as a single player game :s 6 hours is pathetic unless its an insanely good 6 hours.

Not even 6 hours - another poster on a different Homefront thread here has already cleared it in less than 3. And general feedback about the SP is that its a piss poor generic shooter with a half decent last level.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Have this preordered and payed for in full and reading this I think I might pass tbh!!

Isn't this meant to be a sequel to frontlines fuel of war? I ****ing hated that game

• Registered Users Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

Have this preordered and payed for in full and reading this I think I might pass tbh!!

Isn't this meant to be a sequel to frontlines fuel of war? I ****ing hated that game

Yep made by the same people so i reckon it will have a similar feel. Think ill pass on this game, Doesn't look all that great from the videos I've seen

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

iMuse wrote: »
    Yep made by the same people so i reckon it will have a similar feel. Think ill pass on this game, Doesn't look all that great from the videos I've seen

Really disappointed hearing this is terrible tbh I was looking forward to it

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Was anyone seriously expecting this not to be a mediocre COD knock-off? The whole thing seemed to be a pretty silly attempt to cash in on the franchise, while bolting on some John Milius plot lip-service.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

This is a shame, was really hoping that this could be an alternative to BC2 and in a similar pace also. its doing mid eighties on metacritic currently from the press, but people that are actually playing it say its shockingly bad/ordinary in most aspects.

fingers crossed for Crysis 2 multiplayer and singleplayer but that looks like Black ops with a invisibility suit:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭mise

I'm still considering picking this up. Have been reading about the multiplayer, and it seems like they bring some new ideas to the table. The battle commander especially sounds really interesting, so hopefully it works well ingame.

Unless the campaign is amazing in an FPS, I won't bother with it. If I do pick it up, it will be for the multiplayer aspect only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I'd planned on getting this on friday but i probably won't bother now. I kind of had a gut feeling it would get a bad reviews but had hoped i was wrong.

If i hear good things about the multiplayer i might pick it up cheaper in a month or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

It has an 87 on metacritic right now. I'd never judge a game solely on one review, let alone an edge review
    Black ops was less than 6 hours and this has more originality than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

ShaneU wrote: »
    It has an 87 on metacritic right now. I'd never judge a game solely on one review, let alone an edge review

I found black ops sp horrible so far! It's such a boring experience! I can't even imagine how badly this is then!

I was hoping to grab it aswell, but deep inside I knew it will be generic fps. As I can honestly say not a single viideo I watched hyped me up...

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭DarC_Kn1ght

This isn't fit to polish Black Ops shoes. At least the COD series knows that its SP is a core element of it and never fails to deliver an action packed 7 or 8 hours of pure enjoyment, on top of its multiplayer. The fact this can't even manage half that length says all you need to know about comparing this crap to COD.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

DarkJager wrote: »
    This isn't fit to polish Black Ops shoes. At least the COD series knows that its SP is a core element of it and never fails to deliver an action packed 7 or 8 hours of pure enjoyment, on top of its multiplayer. The fact this can't even manage half that length says all you need to know about comparing this crap to COD.

You haven't even played it :rolleyes:

You haven't even played it :rolleyes:

And I won't be either, not even renting it. This game had no intention of being a single player as they are obviously far too concerned with their multiplayer audience. As least with Black Ops, I paid my €50 and got around 8 hours of pure enjoyment out of it. Paying the same amount for a game that struggles to last 4 and will not be able to compete in anyway with Black Ops SP seems a bit of a waste to me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

Black ops like ALL call of duty games had a mediocre campaign :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Well I thought the Black Ops campaign was a load of noisy, incoherent nonsense, so I guess horses for courses n' all that

Trevor451 wrote: »
    Black ops like ALL call of duty games had a mediocre campaign :rolleyes:

Depends what you class as mediocre. Personally, it was like playing through a good action movie with just the right pace and set pieces thrown in to keep it fresh. I enjoyed MW & MW2 as well, although some people just like to bash COD now for the sake of it. The difference with COD - at least they made the effort to give the single player what they paid for. When something like Homefront comes along and says "heres 4 hours of a story, but we've got mulitplayer as well" its very clear where their heart was in making this game.

I really wish they'd just split these 2 modes apart. If you're going to make a multiplayer, leave the SP out of it because its only going to be half arsed. If its Single Player only, don't shoe in some MP mode for the sake of it - give us a solid SP title that we will want to come back to. Going half and half is clearly not working.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I wouldn't hold Black Ops up as an example of a good SP campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,870 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

How to read Edge review scores

Xbox exclusive subtract 3 marks
    PS3 Exclusive add 2 marks
    Multiplatform add 1-2 marks.

Example Edge scores
    Halo 3 10/10
    Killzone 3 7/10
    Homefront 5/10

When deciphered
    Halo 3 7/10
    Killzone 3 9/10
    Homefront 7/10

Looks much better.

On Homefront if played on normal and rushed through its around 4-5 hours long if played on a higher difficulty level and you talk to everyone and read all the papers 7-8 hours.

Simple fact is COD cost around 55million to develop and small studios cant spend that kind of money so the games wont be as long, but what they did was put a good interesting story and tried something a bit different. Hopefully the game sells well and they get backed to build further in the series and have the cash to increase the SP campaign.

Also no one should hold up COD as an example of a good SP campaign its garbage, its so cheesy and ill thought out the writers of James Bond would blush.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

I happen to enjoy the MP aspect of FPS's more than the SP mode.

For example I put in maybe 10+ plus hours into playing the SP mode with Black Ops while I put in nearly 80+ when playing MP.

MP is alot more important to me that SP.

For this reason alone I will be getting Home Front I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

On Homefront if played on normal and rushed through its around 4-5 hours long

its almost exactly 3 hours long

Eurogamer - 6/10
    Not that sub-par characterisation will be at the front of your mind as you follow these cardboard cut-outs through a single-player campaign that is slim even by current first-person shooter standards. Most of the time you'll be wondering why these characters are even here, since you're always either being shoved aside while they move the plot forwards, or left to fend for yourself while they hide behind scenery. There's no middle ground.

So when the game tells you which button to press to jump into a mass grave and hide from a Korean patrol, it's especially pointless. You already know that's what you've got to do because the game has manoeuvred you into a place where it's the only logical response, while your NPC companions have voiced the thought for you and jumped in to illustrate the point – but you can't actually do anything until that prompt appears and gives you permission 10 seconds later.

That's how scripted this game is. Every ladder, every door, every obstacle forces you to step aside and wait while AI drones take the lead. Then you follow in their wake, always heading for the little white blob that says "follow", in case you were in any doubt

It sounds utterly boring beyond belief. And Black Ops single player is being compared to this? That's laughable.
    But there's no personality and there are no moments: none of those perfect collisions between concept and execution which give you that fist-pump rush that a good shooter needs. You're always aware that this is a pale echo of a more successful formula.
    Homefront floats in the limbo between "not bad" and "pretty good", and is hamstrung by a single-player element that feels like a half-hearted obligation. What's most disappointing is that Homefront wanted so much to join COD and Battlefield at the top of the genre, but has ended up as merely a weekend timewaster for players waiting for the next shooter fix

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-03-15-homefront-review?page=1

That last point validates what I've been saying. If you make a half hearted attempt at a single player, it will be noticed regardless of what your multiplayer mode does.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Based on those reviews I think I'll wait till its very cheap.

• Advertisement

I watched the first 15 minutes of the game via Eurogamer & tbh, the "Cod knock-off" comment holds true. Massively scripted, lots of "interactive" cut scenes, they even have the melodramatic loading videos.

We already had the "Omg American's invaded, watch as you fight in a burger bar" in MW2, I'm not sure why we're meant to feel shock at Homefront's jingoistic schtick.

Advertisement