Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do I send a group email?

Options
  • 14-03-2011 10:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37

If I was to send out an email to everyone in my class, how would I go about it? I've seen group emails sent out before where people are looking for coursework or invitations to class parties but I've no idea how to do it myself. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

You can do them through Blackboard.

Pick the module you want to send the email to, go to communications and then send email. From there select the option suited to the users you want to send it to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Blackboard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Knuffel

Thanks a million!

Okay, I'm probably just thick but when I go into communications on Blackboard I can't find an option for email, all there is is stuff like groups, blogs and announcements... Any advice?

Just tried it for another module and the option for email was there but it doesn't seem to be availible for the module I need to email. What should I do now?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,010 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Knuffel wrote: »
    What should I do now?
    Nothing, it seems. I've always seen the option there, so if it's been disabled for that particular course, the course coordinator must have a reason for doing that, and I can only suggest you talk to them.

Even if you can email a whole class, you need to be a bit careful and assume all the course staff can see what you send. Don't even think about doing any kind of marketing by that route. Very Bad Idea. :eek:

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Advertisement

bnt wrote: »
    Nothing, it seems. I've always seen the option there, so if it's been disabled for that particular course, the course coordinator must have a reason for doing that, and I can only suggest you talk to them.

Even if you can email a whole class, you need to be a bit careful and assume all the course staff can see what you send. Don't even think about doing any kind of marketing by that route. Very Bad Idea. :eek:

You can choose different options for who to send it to, you don't have to necessarily send it to every single person including the course administator, lecturer etc.

Although it looks like the option has been disabled for that module. OP why did you want to send an email? Is it a module that has had too many people send class emails for some reason in the past (like in research modules where people just try and get their class to fill out surveys etc)?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

bnt wrote: »

+1 on that. Its a really bad idea to do anything of that nature. Unless its related directly to UCD, course work or of benefit to students, I would avoid using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Definitely dont send anything non academic. Blackboard is not confidential. Admins and lecturers can see everything you do and access on it.

Definitely dont send anything non academic. Blackboard is not confidential. Admins and lecturers can see everything you do and access on it.

Yeah people forget your every movement is tracked on it. So if a lecturer says people haven't been accessing notes, materials etc, they actually know what they are talking about! Well the ones who can actually use BB properly.

As regards to why I need to send the email, I kind of messed up something in my module and want to see if anyone else is in the same both so we could hopefully try and fix it together.
    Is there any other way to contact everyone in the module or am I completely doomed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Knuffel wrote: »
    As regards to why I need to send the email, I kind of messed up something in my module and want to see if anyone else is in the same both so we could hopefully try and fix it together.
    Is there any other way to contact everyone in the module or am I completely doomed?

Go through your class rep would be my advice. Or ask around. If you use BlackBoard your basically proclaiming to all (Including potentially your lecturer and TA's) that you messed up.

Advertisement