Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MMA League Results Round 1 2011

• 14-03-2011 10:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭

MMA League 2011 Round 1 is in the books! I was probably more nervous about this round than I have been about a League for some time, but I am happy to say that Saturday was a tremendous success. The change to the implementation of the head shots rule, in my opinion (and I am interested in hearing anyone else's), was a roaring success. We dropped from a DQ every couple of matches to two DQs in 106 matches! It looked as though there were no adverse affects to any of the participants either, with the League remaining the safe, fun and easy way to have a lash at MMA.
    There are still new clubs springing up all the time, it amazes me that MMA is still growing, in a country the size of our fair island, new clubs are still appearing - and there doesn't seem to be any slow down yet. I am in a very lucky position to be able to meet these new comers more often than not and I have to say that the enthusiasm is great to see.

We set one additional goal for Saturday - get done in time for Cage Contender; and we succeeded beyond my expectations. We ran off 106 matches in 3 and a half hours, that kind of efficiency is what has made the League so successful, and it embiggened my spirit after the fiasco in Dublin at the end of last year. We will maintain the early finish to our events and improve it over the course of this year. We are always trying to improve what we do at the League, so if you have any suggestions on something you would like to see us change, start or stop doing, drop me an email on info [at] MMALeague [dot]com

Before I post the results, I need to thank a few people without whom I couldn't have run the event so well.
    Jim and Paul - excellent, straight down the line reffing all day long, you guys made the implementation of the new rule effortless.
    Tim for reffing his fair share of matches before having to jet to Dublin and for his use of the Point Blank mats.
    Darren, James, Mick and Alan for always having a fighter ready to go whenever a match finished. You guys are the main reason that the event finished in time for us all to get up to Cage Contender.
    Alex and Sean for helping out with all the other jobs that fell between the cracks
    Avril from Ultimate MMA Supplies, without your continued support the League wouldn't be viable.
    Peter Spellman, Oliver McCarthy, Adrian Lawless and the rest of the NUI, Galway Taekwondo club for letting me use the mats and hall they had reserved and agreeing to take the replacement mats I offered.
    John Ferguson of Cage Contender for providing tickets for the match of the day, and generally being a good sport for my constant date clashing with his events!

Match of the day went to Neil Hegarty of Sligo Higashi vs. Seán Ó Tuathail from Point Blank Gym for a tremendous barn burner of a match right down to the final bell.

Results posted below, as always mail any corrections to info [at] MMALeague [dot] com

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭mark.leonard

No# Fighter 1 Name Fighter 1 Club vs. Fighter 2 Name Fighter 2 Club Weight Category Winner Won By
    0 John Hickey Combat Sports Center vs. Ryan Russell Rilion Gracie Ireland Rookie 60kg Strawweight Draw
    1 Piotr Torkowski Bray MMA vs. Hugh Devlin Rilion Gracie Ireland Rookie 70kg Lightweight Draw
    2 Dean Smullen Husaria Fight Team Ennis vs. John Dillon Bray MMA 75kg SLightweight Draw
    3 Aaron Mcgrath Athlone MMA vs. Barry Peoples Rilion Gracie Ireland Rookie 80kg Welterweight Draw
    4 Mark Farrell Pankration Kickboxing Academy vs. Owen Cassidy Evolve Rookie 90kg Super Middleweight Draw
    5 Cian Bourke Pankration Kickboxing Academy vs. Stephen Ring Tuatha De Danann Rookie 95kg+ Heavyweight Cian Bourke Arm Bar
    6 Tom Halpin Combat Sports Centre vs. John Mc Namara Point Blank Gym Teen 60kg Strawweight Tom Halpin Front Choke
    7 Culann Ryan Combat Sports Center vs. Conor Savage Celtic MMA Teen 70kg Lightweight Draw
    8 Ryan Russell Rilion Gracie Ireland vs. John Hickey Combat Sports Center Rookie 60kg Strawweight John Hickey No Contest
    9 Josh Bass TITAN MMA IRELAND vs. Michael Aiken Rilion Gracie Ireland Rookie 70kg Lightweight Draw
    10 John Dillon Bray MMA vs. Dean Smullen Husaria Fight Team Ennis 75kg SLightweight Dean Smullen Arm Bar
    11 ciaran daly boxing clinic vs. Ryan Sheridan Rilion Gracie Ireland Rookie 80kg Welterweight Draw
    12 Dominik Szerszen Sligo Higashi vs. David O`Sullivan Pankration Kickboxing Academy Rookie 90kg Super Middleweight Dominik Szerszen Rear Naked Choke
    13 Albert Szczesny Pankration Kickboxing Academy vs. Olegs Dembovskis Bray MMA Rookie 95kg+ Heavyweight Draw
    14 breen lynch westside kickboxing vs. jake OhAmhsaigh Bray MMA Teen 60kg Strawweight jake OhAmhsaigh Rear Naked Choke
    15 marcin panowicz westside kickboxing vs. shane benson Team Ryano Teen 70kg Lightweight Draw
    16 Dawid Milewski Pankration Kickboxing Academy vs. Piotr Torkowski Bray MMA Rookie 70kg Lightweight Draw
    17 Stewart Rosborough Evolve vs. Aaron Mcgrath Athlone MMA Rookie 80kg Welterweight Stewart Rosborough No Contest
    18 Marcus Monaghan Rilion Gracie Ireland vs. Cianan Toland Evolve Rookie 90kg Super Middleweight Marcus Monaghan Arm Bar
    19 stephan doyle Athlone MMA vs. Paul Walsh Extreme Fitness Rookie 95kg+ Heavyweight Paul Walsh Arm Bar
    20 Martin Gillen Sligo Higashi vs. Daniel Thompson Evolve Teen 60kg Strawweight Daniel Thompson Arm Bar
    21 Aaron Gleeson Cill Dara MMA vs. Aaron O'Sullivan Xtreme Fitness Teen 70kg Lightweight Aaron Gleeson Supine Arm Bar
    22 Paddy Murphy Tuatha De Danann vs. Michael Aiken Rilion Gracie Ireland Rookie 70kg Lightweight Paddy Murphy Rear Naked Choke
    23 Kamil Kozeko Tuatha De Danann vs. Barry Peoples Rilion Gracie Ireland Rookie 80kg Welterweight Barry Peoples Omoplata
    24 John Dowling Tramore BJJ vs. Karl Burrowes Rilion Gracie Ireland Rookie 90kg Super Middleweight John Dowling Arm Bar
    25 Cian Bourke Pankration Kickboxing Academy vs. Olegs Dembovskis Bray MMA Rookie 95kg+ Heavyweight Draw
    26 Brook Kinsella mma bray vs. Arron Tucker Team Ryano Teen 60kg Strawweight Draw
    27 luke o connor boxing clinic vs. Culann Ryan Combat Sports Center Teen 70kg Lightweight Draw
    28 philip doyle Bray MMA vs. Josh Bass TITAN MMA IRELAND Rookie 70kg Lightweight Draw
    29 Damien Conway Combat Sports Center vs. David Keane boxing clinic Rookie 80kg Welterweight Draw
    30 Cian Smith boxing clinic vs. Mark Barrett Rilion Gracie Ireland Rookie 90kg Super Middleweight Draw
    31 Albert Szczesny Pankration Kickboxing Academy vs. stephan doyle Athlone MMA Rookie 95kg+ Heavyweight Albert Szczesny No Contest
    32 Tom Halpin Combat Sports Centre vs. Brook Kinsella mma bray Teen 60kg Strawweight Tom Halpin Guillotine
    33 Conor Savage Celtic MMA vs. Aaron O'Sullivan Xtreme Fitness Teen 70kg Lightweight Conor Savage Guillotine
    34 Jonathan Bryan Bray MMA vs. Hugh Devlin Rilion Gracie Ireland Rookie 70kg Lightweight Draw
    35 Bernard O`connell Point Blank Gym vs. ciaran daly boxing clinic Rookie 80kg Welterweight Bernard O`connell Triangle
    36 Janis Malins Team Ryano vs. Mark Farrell Pankration Kickboxing Academy Rookie 90kg Super Middleweight Draw
    37 Stephen Ring Tuatha De Danann vs. Paul Walsh Extreme Fitness Rookie 95kg+ Heavyweight Paul Walsh Arm Bar
    38 John Mc Namara Point Blank Gym vs. breen lynch westside kickboxing Teen 60kg Strawweight John Mc Namara Guillotine
    39 marcin panowicz westside kickboxing vs. Aaron Gleeson Cill Dara MMA Teen 70kg Lightweight Aaron Gleeson Arm Bar
    40 Dawid Milewski Pankration Kickboxing Academy vs. philip doyle Bray MMA Rookie 70kg Lightweight Draw
    41 Gary Jennings Point Blank Gym vs. Ryan Sheridan Rilion Gracie Ireland Rookie 80kg Welterweight Draw
    42 Dominik Szerszen Sligo Higashi vs. Marcus Monaghan Rilion Gracie Ireland Rookie 90kg Super Middleweight Dominik Szerszen No Contest
    43 Martin Gillen Sligo Higashi vs. jake OhAmhsaigh Bray MMA Teen 60kg Strawweight jake OhAmhsaigh Arm Bar
    44 shane benson Team Ryano vs. luke o connor boxing clinic Teen 70kg Lightweight luke o connor Disqualification
    45 Paddy Murphy Tuatha De Danann vs. Jonathan Bryan Bray MMA Rookie 70kg Lightweight Draw
    46 Stewart Rosborough Evolve vs. Kamil Kozeko Tuatha De Danann Rookie 80kg Welterweight Draw
    47 John Dowling Tramore BJJ vs. Janis Malins Team Ryano Rookie 90kg Super Middleweight John Dowling Arm Bar
    48 Arron Tucker Team Ryano vs. Daniel Thompson Evolve Teen 60kg Strawweight Daniel Thompson Guillotine
    49 Damien Conway Combat Sports Center vs. Bernard O`connell Point Blank Gym Rookie 80kg Welterweight Draw
    50 Owen Cassidy Evolve vs. Cian Smith boxing clinic Rookie 90kg Super Middleweight Draw
    51 Gary Jennings Point Blank Gym vs. David Keane boxing clinic Rookie 80kg Welterweight David Keane Arm Bar
    52 Cianan Toland Evolve vs. Mark Barrett Rilion Gracie Ireland Rookie 90kg Super Middleweight Draw
    53 Karl Burrowes Rilion Gracie Ireland vs. David O`Sullivan Pankration Kickboxing Academy Rookie 90kg Super Middleweight David O`Sullivan No Contest

No# Fighter 1 Name Fighter 1 Club vs. Fighter 2 Name Fighter 2 Club Weight Category Winner Won By
    0 Gareth Lambe Celtic MMA vs. Paul McLaughlin Rilion Gracie Ireland Rookie 65kg Flyweight Paul McLaughlin Arm Bar
    1 Niall Coyle Rilion Gracie Ireland vs. Mark Fogarty Tuatha De Danann Rookie 75kg SLightweight Draw
    2 anthony cassidy westside kickboxing vs. Luke Corr Xtreme Fitness Rookie 85kg Middleweight Draw
    3 David O`sullivan SBG vs. Daniel Cassidy Rilion Gracie Ireland Rookie 95kg Light Heavyweight Daniel Cassidy No Contest
    4 Conchúr Mc Cartney Evolve vs. micheal neary Team Ryano Teen 55kg Bantamweight Draw
    5 Stephen Barr Westside Kickboxing vs. Philip Lambe Celtic MMA Teen 65kg Flyweight Philip Lambe Guillotine
    6 Conor Gannon Point Blank Gym vs. Damian Kopyto Impetus Castlebar Teen 75kg SLightweight Conor Gannon Triangle
    7 simas skatikas westside kickboxing vs. Filip Rybicki Evolve Teen 80kg Welterweight Filip Rybicki Guillotine
    8 Noel Bowen Combat Sports Center vs. Matt Real Killarney Grappling Club Rookie 65kg Flyweight Draw
    9 Stephen Mailey Rilion Gracie Ireland vs. Val Olshansky Combat Sports Centre Rookie 75kg SLightweight Draw
    10 Luke Corr Xtreme Fitness vs. anthony cassidy westside kickboxing Rookie 85kg Middleweight Luke Corr DQ
    11 Daryl Keogh Combat Sports Centre vs. Keith Gamble Rilion Gracie Ireland Rookie 95kg Light Heavyweight Keith Gamble North South Choke
    12 micheal neary Team Ryano vs. Bernard McLoughlin Team Ryano Teen 55kg Bantamweight Bernard McLoughlin Arm Bar
    13 Mark O'Brien Team Ryano vs. Steven Rogers Xtreme Fitness Teen 65kg Flyweight Draw
    14 Damian Kopyto Impetus Castlebar vs. ian corr Team Ryano Teen 75kg SLightweight ian corr Rear Naked Choke
    15 Daniel Wardin Evolve vs. Kieran Gaynor Xtreme Fitness Teen 80kg Welterweight Daniel Wardin Arm Bar
    16 Edwin Agejev Husaria Fight Team Ennis vs. David Heffernan Bray MMA Rookie 65kg Flyweight Edwin Agejev Arm Bar
    17 Gavin Denihan Combat Sports Center vs. Stephen Mailey Rilion Gracie Ireland Rookie 75kg SLightweight Stephen Mailey Arm Bar
    18 Jacek Walaszczyk Pankration Kickboxing Academy vs. Romald Mullarkey Sligo Higashi Rookie 85kg Middleweight Draw
    19 Shane Mcdaid Evolve vs. Daniel Cassidy Rilion Gracie Ireland Rookie 95kg Light Heavyweight Shane Mcdaid Rear Naked Choke
    20 Conchúr Mc Cartney Evolve vs. Bernard McLoughlin Team Ryano Teen 55kg Bantamweight Conchúr Mc Cartney Triangle
    21 Andrew Benson Team Ryano vs. Jay Sheridan Xtreme Fitness Teen 65kg Flyweight Jay Sheridan Arm Bar
    22 ian corr Team Ryano vs. Conor Gannon Point Blank Gym Teen 75kg SLightweight Draw
    23 simas skatikas westside kickboxing vs. Daniel Wardin Evolve Teen 80kg Welterweight Daniel Wardin Arm Bar
    24 Gareth Lambe Celtic MMA vs. Niall Scollard boxing clinic Rookie 65kg Flyweight Niall Scollard No Contest
    25 Declan Broderick Combat Sports Centre vs. Niall Coyle Rilion Gracie Ireland Rookie 75kg SLightweight Draw
    26 Neil Hegarty Sligo Higashi vs. Seán Ó Tuathail Point Blank Gym Rookie 85kg Middleweight Draw
    27 Daryl Keogh Combat Sports Centre vs. Shane Mcdaid Evolve Rookie 95kg Light Heavyweight Shane Mcdaid Arm Triangle
    28 Stephen Barr Westside Kickboxing vs. Mark O'Brien Team Ryano Teen 65kg Flyweight Stephen Barr KO
    29 Filip Rybicki Evolve vs. Kieran Gaynor Xtreme Fitness Teen 80kg Welterweight Filip Rybicki Arm Bar
    30 Eoghan Ó Searcóid Wild Geese Martial Arts vs. Paul McLaughlin Rilion Gracie Ireland Rookie 65kg Flyweight Paul McLaughlin Triangle
    31 Mark Fogarty Tuatha De Danann vs. Gavin Denihan Combat Sports Center Rookie 75kg SLightweight Mark Fogarty Guillotine
    32 Tomas Darela Husaria Fight Team Ennis vs. Michael Canning Evolve Rookie 85kg Middleweight Tomas Darela Arm Bar
    33 Keith Gamble Rilion Gracie Ireland vs. David O`sullivan SBG Rookie 95kg Light Heavyweight Keith Gamble No Contest
    34 Philip Lambe Celtic MMA vs. Jay Sheridan Xtreme Fitness Teen 65kg Flyweight Jay Sheridan DQ
    35 Noel Bowen Combat Sports Center vs. Eoghan Ó Searcóid Wild Geese Martial Arts Rookie 65kg Flyweight Draw
    36 Val Olshansky Combat Sports Centre vs. Mark Murray Husaria Fight Team Ennis Rookie 75kg SLightweight Draw
    37 Vinny Lawless Xtreme Fitness vs. Tomas Darela Husaria Fight Team Ennis Rookie 85kg Middleweight Tomas Darela Arm Bar
    38 Andrew Benson Team Ryano vs. Steven Rogers Xtreme Fitness Teen 65kg Flyweight Steven Rogers Triangle
    39 Edwin Agejev Husaria Fight Team Ennis vs. Niall Scollard boxing clinic Rookie 65kg Flyweight Draw
    40 Declan Broderick Combat Sports Centre vs. Kris Flynn Husaria Fight Team Rookie 75kg SLightweight Kris Flynn TKO
    41 Seán Ó Tuathail Point Blank Gym vs. Romald Mullarkey Sligo Higashi Rookie 85kg Middleweight Seán Ó Tuathail NC
    42 David Heffernan Bray MMA vs. Matt Real Killarney Grappling Club Rookie 65kg Flyweight Matt Real Triangle
    43 Danny Lennon Combat Sports Centre vs. Shane Galvin Gracie Barra Tralee Rookie 75kg SLightweight Shane Galvin Rear Naked Choke
    44 Neil Hegarty Sligo Higashi vs. Michael Canning Evolve Rookie 85kg Middleweight Michael Canning Front Choke
    45 Edmund Finn Combat Sports Centre vs. David O`dwyer Pankration Kickboxing Academy Rookie 75kg SLightweight David O`dwyer Kimura
    46 Jacek Walaszczyk Pankration Kickboxing Academy vs. Vinny Lawless Xtreme Fitness Rookie 85kg Middleweight Vinny Lawless Head and Arm Choke
    47 David Collumb Point Blank Gym vs. Laurence Coughlan Tuatha De Danann Rookie 75kg SLightweight Draw
    48 Danny Lennon Combat Sports Centre vs. Kris Flynn Husaria Fight Team Rookie 75kg SLightweight Draw
    49 Edmund Finn Combat Sports Centre vs. David Collumb Point Blank Gym Rookie 75kg SLightweight Draw
    50 Laurence Coughlan Tuatha De Danann vs. David O`dwyer Pankration Kickboxing Academy Rookie 75kg SLightweight David O`dwyer Guillotine
    51 Mark Murray Husaria Fight Team Ennis vs. Shane Galvin Gracie Barra Tralee Rookie 75kg SLightweight Mark Murray Knee Bar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Jason McCabe

I'm very happy that the rule change went well. The drop in the losses by DQ makes it well worth while I think.

Fair play to mark for running this event. It's a great way to get people involved at a safe level.

Now If only you could get Scotty or Warf to beam us up and down to the venue that would be great

I have had a tremendously low number of corrections on the results this time around, which means the improved system of record keeping we used at the event and the diligence of Darren, Alan, James and Mick paid off.

If you have any corrections, please get them to me before Wednesday 5pm as I intend on uploading the data to the MMA League Database then.

Advertisement