Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adult returner, advice re: financial aspects?

Options
  • 14-03-2011 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭

Hi,anybody. I'm just going to throw this out there and c if anybody can shine a light.
    I'm 35, I've worked as a carpenter for nearly 15 years. I'm on Illness benefit for ??? 6 months and surgery on my shoulder in October 2010 is leaving me unable to return to my work. After thinking about it for some time i came to the conclusion that retraining in computers/software was the answer. I filled out the CAO and thought....Its going to be tough for the next couple of years but at least I'll have a better shot and getting a job!!!.... but... i will not get social welfare or the back to education allowance cos my wife works with the HSE.
    We are "JUST" surviving, With 2 kids starting school in September and a baby due soon, big mortgage and some loans, we don't drink we don't smoke.
    I know I'm a small fish in a big pond but possibly someone, somewhere has been there and survived and can literally... shine a light.

THANKS

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

Webdesign? Though I dont want you muscling in on my turf.

Easy enough to learn if you're half way competent with a computer. Looks really difficult so you can charge loads. Cash in hand too a lot of the time.

Also you could move to Canada/Australia. They are crying out for construction workers. You could teach carpentry with your experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭steloide

Webdesign? Though I dont want you muscling in on my turf.

Easy enough to learn if you're half way competent with a computer. Looks really difficult so you can charge loads. Cash in hand too a lot of the time.

Also you could move to Canada/Australia. They are crying out for construction workers. You could teach carpentry with your experience.

Thanks man good advise, but i cant move anywhere, house won't cover bills and i still need qualifications to teach and i cant afford squat and social welfare dont give a f**k, as for web design i did look into it, was going to do flash. The brother in-law offered my a job in his company that is till it went belly up last year, to hard to get money.... but i like your thinking.
    I was thinking strongly about software development any thoughts on that???

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Thread (somewhat) cleaned up and moved to Mature & Non-Trad.

Advertisement