Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

freezing veg

Options
  • 14-03-2011 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks. For years I have been preparing raw root veg and freezing. no problem.
    I notice that a lot of chefs say to blanch them in boiling water before freezing.
    Whys this then?:confused:

thanks for reading.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

From a quick google.....blanching stops the action of enzymes which cause color, flavor, texture, and nutrient losses. Freezing does slow down the action of enzymes but blanching first just acts as a better method to preserve the goodness in your veggies!

/googlos

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭the watchman

--LOS-- wrote: »
    From a quick google.....blanching stops the action of enzymes which cause color, flavor, texture, and nutrient losses. Freezing does slow down the action of enzymes but blanching first just acts as a better method to preserve the goodness in your veggies!

/googlos

Ah, so thats it. Now I know. Sounds like good advise.

Thank you for your time, appreciated.

Advertisement