Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setting up a car wash

Options
  • 14-03-2011 11:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

What would you be required to do to set up a car wash?

I have a Premiss's + Equipment?

Do you need Planning?

It will be open from May - September.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 CheckRaiseIRL

What type of carwash?

What is the location? E.g) garage forecourt.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

drver1 wrote: »
    What would you be required to do to set up a car wash?

I have a Premiss's + Equipment?

Do you need Planning?

It will be open from May - September.

Thanks

you need to talk to your local council or corporation.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭colly_06

I wouldnt mind getting some info on setting up a car wash, I have a location in mind, a disused forcourt, would be looking to use a mobile power washer. If anyone could provide info on all the formalities including insurance, tax, registering as a business etc. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭highlandseoghan

If there is a car wash drain in place then you just need to get onto the local authority and make sure planning permission was granted. If there is no car wash drain then you would need to get planning permission and then install a car wash drain. Instaling a car wash drain is going to cost you and if your only open for a few months it wont be worth your while.

You need to make sure your powerwasher is in top condition and can deal with large volumes of cars being washed. Do you have a back up powerwasher or do you know how to carry out maintance on your washer. Remember if your washer is down and you dont have a back up or know how to get it back working your loosing money.

use good quality chemicals, always check the safety data sheets for all your chemicals and keep a copy of all safety data sheets on site.

If you need anymore advise or have a question just let me know and ill try and answer it for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 bobnbarney

Drver1 I seen your post and I was wondering how you are getting on. Did you go ahead with the car wash. I was going to contact the council myself and ask them what is the process of getting permission to wash cars. Does anyone have any more info on the planning permission or permits to set this up. Is it hard to get the go ahead. Is it expensive to apply for planning and permits. I'm in county meath.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Dublinhurler

bobnbarney wrote: »
    Drver1 I seen your post and I was wondering how you are getting on. Did you go ahead with the car wash. I was going to contact the council myself and ask them what is the process of getting permission to wash cars. Does anyone have any more info on the planning permission or permits to set this up. Is it hard to get the go ahead. Is it expensive to apply for planning and permits. I'm in county meath.

If you have a location that has a car wash drain installed then it's not too hard it's pretty much make sure planning was granted for the drain, make sure your drain is cleared of any crap and away you go.

If you don't have a location and get one that doesn't have a drain that's when you hit problems because you will need to apply for planning for the drain and then pay to get a car wash drain installed depending on the drain installed it can be expensive.

Your best to try and get somewhere that already has a drain eg: a petrol station and rent that and set up your business from there.

Hey cheers for the info. The reason I'm looking into this is that I have a location on a busy road that I have been given the use of by my father. There is a high volume of traffic and close to the town. There has never been a car wash facility there before but the location is perfect. I'm willing to make a long term investment on the property so I guess I'll have see if it's financially viable to go for the planning if that's even possible and find out the cost of installing a drain system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

Better call Saul.

Hey cheers for the info. The reason I'm looking into this is that I have a location on a busy road that I have been given the use of by my father. There is a high volume of traffic and close to the town. There has never been a car wash facility there before but the location is perfect. I'm willing to make a long term investment on the property so I guess I'll have see if it's financially viable to go for the planning if that's even possible and find out the cost of installing a drain system.

Do you have experience in this business?

Costs can vary for car wash drains so to get a good idea your best to get a few quotes from leading companies. Will you be using a power washer to clean the cars? Will you be valeting?

The other thing you need to take into account is the speed of cars on the road. When you say it's a busy road are cars travelling at 60K or slower the reason I ask is, if cars are going over 60k you will find it hard to get them to stop to pull into your business.

The location that you have in mind is there anything else on the site to help attract customers?

I have no experience in this area. To be honest my brother was going to set up a sand and gravel etc etc. in the same yard. I was hoping to set up the car wash as a really small set up at the start and we were hoping between the two businesses that it would create a so called foot fall for both businesses. It's all very much in the very early planning hence we have not spoke to the local council. And it's in an 80km zone.

• Advertisement

I have no experience in this area. To be honest my brother was going to set up a sand and gravel etc etc. in the same yard. I was hoping to set up the car wash as a really small set up at the start and we were hoping between the two businesses that it would create a so called foot fall for both businesses. It's all very much in the very early planning hence we have not spoke to the local council. And it's in an 80km zone.

To be honest without the experience I think you would be absolutely crazy. I know a car wash business sounds like it would be very easy to set up and run but there's so much more than people think. Using the correct chemicals, knowing the best chemicals to use to clean wheels, what chemicals to use to remove hand prints on bodywork from sun cream, parking stickers etc...... Then there's the cleaning of interiors.

If cars are travelling at 80K your going to find it very hard to get enough to stop regularly to keep the business going financially.

Thanks for your advise and taking the time to reply. I will do more research and see how it goes.

Thanks for your advise and taking the time to reply. I will do more research and see how it goes.

Just do as much research as possible. Spend a day in the nearest town asking people basic questions where are they getting there cars washed currently, why do they go there, price, how often do they get a wash, do they know your location would they stop on that road for a car wash etc... Then work out all your costs, insurance water chemicals labor etc.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

Sand and gravel would that not = dust? Not ideal conditions for car washing.

Thanks for your advise Dublinhurler I appreciate your help. I'll do my research.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

Dont forget water charges, discharge licences, commercial rates, public liability insurance, these are all charges that can quickly add up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭enricoh

Would u not set up and see if there's a business in it? If yer making a few quid stick a tank n filters in asap
    Ask the council first and u'll be looking at megabucks to get the all clear off them

Advertisement