Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

which is more difficult to play in: 2 degrees on a cold day or 37 degrees hot day

• 14-03-2011 11:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭

We all hear about it being hard to play on a cold night, but what about when it is roasting. I can remember seeing a match in La Liga before and it was 37 degrees, the players were legging it to get a drink whenever they could. Plus I imagine the pitch would be affected in a big way too.

Which is harder?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

The warm.

At least on a cold day you could warm up.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭MonTheBiffy

Heat without a doubt, if its cold you can always wear an extra pair of thermal jocks to warm your gear but in extreme heat you overheat quickly, risk dehydration, sunstroke and getting a redneck and freckles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

I would say the heat.

It is much easier to wear protective clothing against the cold, I suppose.

Plus the problem of dehydration in hot temperatures.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

the heat. so tough to play in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

The heat definitely.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

The heat easily. The cold would be unpleasant for a few minutes until you get warmed up then you'd barely notice really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Heat is definately worse. We played a match (rugby) on the 18th December . The few peopel that did come to watch retreated to their cars after a bit. It was -2 according to the cars apparently.

Theres no escaping the heat, but cold is manageable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

37 degrees!?:eek::eek::eek:
    Jaysus where do you live?

Definitely harder playing in the heat, even cold heat like 20 degrees:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Another problem with real heat is you get things like steve staunton with his face all suncreamed up :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

The heat, a combination of the cold and Stoke though and you're fcked altogether, unplayable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,174 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Play in 2 degree weather all the time. You don't notice it after about 5 minutes. That's 6 aside though so there's not as much standing around. -10 or something stupidly cold might be a better question.

I struggle to just sit around in 37 degrees, forget playing football in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,026 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Any of you play in those conditions? I've played a lot in very hot temperatures but not so much in the freezing cold like 2 degrees.

From my own personal experience the body is under more pressure in the hot weather but its much easier to play the game than it is in cold weather.

I guess its a case of the body suffers more in hot weather while football is much harder to play in cold weather.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I find it easier function in heat than in the cold.

Depends where you are from.

A brazilian or african or middle eastern player would have no problems in the heat but would struggle in the cold, even with underarmour.
    Where as someone from Europe wouldn't be too bad in the cold but would be creased in the heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

eagle eye wrote: »
    Any of you play in those conditions? I've played a lot in very hot temperatures but not so much in the freezing cold like 2 degrees.

From my own personal experience the body is under more pressure in the hot weather but its much easier to play the game than it is in cold weather.

I guess its a case of the body suffers more in hot weather while football is much harder to play in cold weather.

Ive never played in 37 degree heat but I struggle to play during the summer here! The heat really gets to me even tho its only ~25 degrees.

Ive played at 2 degrees plenty of times and once you warm up properly I find it grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I play in 37 degree heat from January to March (my preseason is during the Aussie summer) and it's unreal. You're knackered after 10 minutes and in constant need of water. Sunday, 1pm kick off will almost kill you.

My last game in Ireland was -3 and three weeks later I played in 39 over here. It's not even a close competition for which one is easier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

Heat AINEC.

Agree with Xavi. Preseason here is ridiculously warm.

Im in Melbourne though so it cools a good bit faster as the months roll by.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

Have you ever been hit with the ball in the leg,face,balls when its near freezing!? That's pain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭partyndbs

im like allergic to the cold so id take heat over cold. not in the 30s i know but i was conditioned as a kid playing in marathon matches in over 20 degrees heat in those good summers we used to get. more enjoyable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

partyndbs wrote: »
    im like allergic to the cold so id take heat over cold. not in the 30s i know but i was conditioned as a kid playing in marathon matches in over 20 degrees heat in those good summers we used to get. more enjoyable

20ish degrees isn't hot though, it's warm. Anyone would take that over the cold but that's as obvious as saying you'd rather have a bj than a kick in the bollox.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭ollie1

I was playing a match in Canada and it was 40 degrees and I nearly fainted I was in bits :pac: . The humidity was really high and it was hard to breath.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Heat is certainly draining and oppressive but if you see the other players wilting around you and can muster up extra bursts of energy it's easier to beat a man as the weather has done some of the work for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

I think the cold is harder. Why the windchill factor alone would be an impediment to clear game thinking, not to mention leaving yourself open to all kinds of nipple twisters when the refs not looking.

Advertisement