Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What/Who is Cool?

• 14-03-2011 11:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭

After watching phil lynott's mother on the late late (i know) the other night it got me thinking that phil was a cool guy.

Lenny Kravitz also exudes coolness in my opinion as does Tom Ford.

Some gadgets also get my cool stamp.

One of my daughters also seems to be pretty cool for a 3 year old.

Gents anything or anyone to add?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Air Conditioners are super cool, if you want them to be.

Gary Oldman and Johnny Depp are cool given they can change their entire personality and appearance to suit any role they play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭yeahimhere

i always think someone who is a little different,does their own thing and is confident in their own skin comes across as pretty cool.usually a bit of a bad ass attitute is thrown in there for good measure!Although good looks tends to help the coolness along too.

Johnny depp is definitly the master of cool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

lebowski-mirror2.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Hank Moody from Californication (while a fictional character) is the worlds greatest hero imo - the man oozes awesome :)

Dan Carter the All Blacks out half seems to have ice running through his veins.

For being creative, different and simply brilliant - the album 'Go' by Jónsi is one of the coolest albums I've ever listened to

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Don Draper

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Mexihalo

Jack Nicholson....the early years

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Dont really have any idols or care about cool anymore. The closest would be Christopher Hitchens or maybe Henry Rollins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭HoneyRyder

the-fonz.jpg?w=500&h=400

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

PaulieC wrote: »
    Hank Moody from Californication (while a fictional character) is the worlds greatest hero imo - the man oozes awesome :)

I agree wholeheartedly, the character is so cool. Best show on TV at the moment IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Samual L Jackson surely must be mentioned?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

I can't define it, but I know it when I see it.

Steve McQueen was cool, Stephen Hawking is a different kind of cool, and Derren Brown is another kind of cool again.

My granny was the coolest person I ever knew, nothing phased her, nothing made her lose her cool. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

For me, it would be Al Pacino.

It's all about the attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 shebzy

tony soprano , ray liotta , al pacino my top 3 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Dimitar Berbatov.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Always thought Charlie Sheen in Ferris Bueller's Day Off was the coolest kid in the world.

Also Tallulah Bankhead

tb28.jpg

“The only thing I regret about my past is the length of it. If I had to live my life again I'd make all the same mistakes - only sooner.”

“my father warned me about men and booze but he never said anything about women and cocaine.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

The thing with Sheen is that Id agree,if he wasnt playing that very same person only as a middle aged man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Phillip Seymour Hoffman and William H. Macy for me.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 813 ✭✭✭wiger toods

Denzel washington:cool:
    Bruce Willis:cool:
    Maybe Mickey rourke:P

Ah fcuk it! mickey's cool too:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Professor Brian Cox

Is a physics professor
    Has his own T.V. shows
    Works at the Large Hadron Collider, in C.E.R.N.
    and was the key-board player in D-REAM

Hate him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Ebbs

Bear Grylls.

I dont care about your hotel poop, he is one cool guy.

Shirt and canvas trousers... ready for any climate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭suey71

Yul Brynner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

Paul Newman's character in Cool Hand Luke.

Gruff Rhys, the lead singer of the Super Furry Animals.

The only two famous men I genuinely fancy the holes off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Fishing with my dad - cooler than it may sound :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

Eve_Dublin wrote: »
    Gruff Rhys, the lead singer of the Super Furry Animals.

Yes. That is one cool, laid back dude. I've seen them live so many times and he is quality.

Steve McQueen too, one cool f**ker.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Up-n-atom!

Marlon Brando (lean days of course...)
    James Dean
    Humphrey Bogart

Nobody does cool anymore like old movie stars

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭Kevin Duffy

Good parents are cool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

I think Bill Murray is pretty cool.
    Notorious for not giving interviews or anything, although here's one from GQ
    Last question. I have to know, because I love this story and want it to be true. There have been stories about you sneaking up behind people in New York City, covering their eyes with your hands, and saying: Guess who. And when they turn around, they see Bill Murray and hear the words "No one will ever believe you."

[long pause] I know. I know, I know, I know. I've heard about that from a lot of people. A lot of people. I don't know what to say. There's probably a really appropriate thing to say. Something exactly and just perfectly right. [long beat, and then he breaks into a huge grin] But by God, it sounds crazy, doesn't it? Just so crazy and unlikely and unusual?
    Haha, awesome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 312 ✭✭man.about.town

we are truely living in the age of franco, james franco

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Fishing with my dad - cooler than it may sound :)

Seconded.
    That would be me fishing with my dad, not yours. That would be just weird

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

I reckon Ayrton Senna and that whole era of formula one was very cool. Movie star cool has to Steve McQueen, the baseball and glove scene at the end of the great escape after his bike chase is well ......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 RandomnoobIII

swu2hg.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Ehhhh lads.....? How has this thread gone this far without the coolest entity that has ever spontaneously combusted into existence being mentioned??

"My mistake....four coffins...."

(....fukk you youtube!!!!.....I know it is embedding disabled but fool on you if you don't click it!)

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭lecker Hendl

Paul Newman is the definition of cool
    Z+(15).jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭boblong

Cee Lo Green.

skEZ9.png

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25 RandomnoobIII

399px-Muammar_al-Gaddafi_at_the_AU_summit.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

someone mentioned Tom Ford, excellent call matey. Steve McQueen was uber cool.

Being "cool" isn't just about how you appear to the ordinary plebs like us, its about a whole demeanor, on and off the public stage. People like McQueen, just lived cool. They didn't have to think about it.

The characters that De Niro or Pacino played, were cool, but they guys themselves, I'm not so sure.

Right now though, no one is cooler than Don Draper....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Anybody in Mad Men is just uber cool!

25 Best 'Mad Men' Quotes | Extra

“What you call love was invented by guys like me to sell nylons."

“If you don’t like what’s being said, change the conversation.”

“They say as soon you have to cut down on your drinking, you have a drinking problem.”

“You want some respect? Go out there and get it for yourself.”

And my favourite:

“People were buying cigarettes before Freud was born.”

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Don Draper
    Jet Packs
    Kid Cudi
    Daft Punk
    Han Solo
    Patrick Bateman
    Jeff Bridges
    Jon Bonham
    Denzel Washington
    Sharks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭MightyMighty737

joestrummer-1.jpg

Definitly cool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

You know the world is kind of ****ed when there are more fictional characters and actors being named than honest to Christ real people.

Who is cool.

Randy Couture : consistantly written off in a sport of incredible physical demand he almost always finds a way to win. Spoken of incredibly highly by those who have met him, has done a huge amount of his sport and young athletes within it. In a time when MMA was being portrayed as barbaric Randy was the go to guy to do interviews to show MMA in the right light. During one particular championship fight he was supposed to lose he actually took the time to spank his opponent on the ass on route to giving him a vicious one sided beating.

Jack Johnson : "I feel obligated to the sporting public at least to make an effort to reclaim the heavyweight championship for the white race. . . . I should step into the ring again and demonstrate that a white man is king of them all." - the famous "last words" of James J Jeffries. Jack Johnson became the first black heavyweight champion in 1908, not even half a century after Lincoln signed the Emancipation Proclamation at a time when race was still a monumental issue. He was hounded in the press as being a coward and a fraud, despite the fact that he utilised techniques that white champions had been praised for. He has a smart mouth, a sharp mind and after he finally won the heavyweight belt people called for the "Great White Hope" Jeffries to come out of retirement and take back the belt for the superior white race. Johnson made dropped him twice over 15 rounds and his corner threw in the towel.

He would regularly and publically be seen with white women, a complete social taboo at the time and two seperate Ministers would called for him to be lynched. He was the original owner of the Cotton Club, now infamous with every person who wishes they were born a 1930's gangster. At his funeral his wife said she loved him because he feared nothing...and no one.

Now that is mother****ing cool.

Yuri Gagarin : The first man in space. How mother****ing cool is that? Because if waking up and being strapped to a giant missile with the goal of being launched off the face of the planet is not cool then you live in a sad damn world. And this guy did it FIRST.

Edmund Hillary and Tenzing Norgay : The first men to climb mount Everest - everything that came after was simply variations of a theme, mankinds invariable desire to do something that someone else has already done in a slightly different way. Different faces, different seasons, with or without oxygen. The simple fact is that every single person who ever climbed Everest had Edmund Hillary to look up to as someone who had done it, had dragged himself up every inch of the tallest mountain on the face of the planet. They all had inspiration...all he had was the will to get it done. (they would have had Tenzing to look up to as well but he simply wasn't cool enough to get all that much credit for doing the same thing Hillary did, the life of a Sherpa is a bitch ). Many people claimed to have climbed the mountain previous to Hillary and Norgay's climb, stating their efforts and as such, their success, simple wasn't recorded. Upon hearing this Hillary grinned, winked and simply said "Pics...or get the **** out".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Messi2

The Rock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

You know the world is kind of ****ed when there are more fictional characters and actors being named than honest to Christ real people.

This I totally agree with. Young men these days have few role models to look up to any more. What we do have is media constructs and "personalities" that are put in place.

Randy Couture : consistantly written off in a sport of incredible physical demand he almost always finds a way to win. Spoken of incredibly highly by those who have met him, has done a huge amount of his sport and young athletes within it. In a time when MMA was being portrayed as barbaric Randy was the go to guy to do interviews to show MMA in the right light. During one particular championship fight he was supposed to lose he actually took the time to spank his opponent on the ass on route to giving him a vicious one sided beating.

+100
    Jack Johnson : "I feel obligated to the sporting public at least to make an effort to reclaim the heavyweight championship for the white race. . . . I should step into the ring again and demonstrate that a white man is king of them all." - the famous "last words" of James J Jeffries. Jack Johnson became the first black heavyweight champion in 1908, not even half a century after Lincoln signed the Emancipation Proclamation at a time when race was still a monumental issue. He was hounded in the press as being a coward and a fraud, despite the fact that he utilised techniques that white champions had been praised for. He has a smart mouth, a sharp mind and after he finally won the heavyweight belt people called for the "Great White Hope" Jeffries to come out of retirement and take back the belt for the superior white race. Johnson made dropped him twice over 15 rounds and his corner threw in the towel.

He would regularly and publically be seen with white women, a complete social taboo at the time and two seperate Ministers would called for him to be lynched. He was the original owner of the Cotton Club, now infamous with every person who wishes they were born a 1930's gangster. At his funeral his wife said she loved him because he feared nothing...and no one.

Now that is mother****ing cool.

I know a bit about him before, but not a huge amount. It appears he was extremely cool
    Yuri Gagarin : The first man in space. How mother****ing cool is that? Because if waking up and being strapped to a giant missile with the goal of being launched off the face of the planet is not cool then you live in a sad damn world. And this guy did it FIRST.

See, I wouldn't call Gagarin cool. I would call him brave/mad and a pioneer alright. The concept of space flight is cool, that might not extend to the person actually doing it though. Does this even make sense?

Edmund Hillary and Tenzing Norgay : The first men to climb mount Everest - everything that came after was simply variations of a theme, mankinds invariable desire to do something that someone else has already done in a slightly different way. Different faces, different seasons, with or without oxygen. The simple fact is that every single person who ever climbed Everest had Edmund Hillary to look up to as someone who had done it, had dragged himself up every inch of the tallest mountain on the face of the planet. They all had inspiration...all he had was the will to get it done. (they would have had Tenzing to look up to as well but he simply wasn't cool enough to get all that much credit for doing the same thing Hillary did, the life of a Sherpa is a bitch ). Many people claimed to have climbed the mountain previous to Hillary and Norgay's climb, stating their efforts and as such, their success, simple wasn't recorded. Upon hearing this Hillary grinned, winked and simply said "Pics...or get the **** out".

It wouldn't surprise me if Hillary did say something along those lines, by many accounts he was bit of a bollix in his day. Anyway, yep, cool.

Maybe we have all become jaded? Maybe there aren't any achievements in this day and age. Its a media saturated and connected world we live in. I find it sad that the basic joy of things has been lost a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭dagdha

Josh Homme (lead singer for Queens of the Stone Age) and Dave Grohl seem really cool and they always seem to come across as real nice down to earth guys in any interviews I've seen them in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Joshua Radin

Some might say his music is depressing but I went to see him in concert in Dublin in October and the guy was brilliant, put on a great show.

Fans were calling for him to sing songs from his album which he hadn't actually released yet and he said the following line which I thought was so cool:

"Ah so some of you have my album which isn't out yet...downloading huh? the internets great for that, I don't mind if you download my album once you keep coming to see me play live - that's what music's all about in my mind"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

PaulieC wrote: »
    Joshua Radin

Some might say his music is depressing but I went to see him in concert in Dublin in October and the guy was brilliant, put on a great show.

Fans were calling for him to sing songs from his album which he hadn't actually released yet and he said the following line which I thought was so cool:

"Ah so some of you have my album which isn't out yet...downloading huh? the internets great for that, I don't mind if you download my album once you keep coming to see me play live - that's what music's all about in my mind"

This makes Joshua cool, not that he was uncool before. Same for Lifehouse in the Olympia - all the security were telling folks to stop recording and put away the phones but the lads on stage were like "Cellphones out, we're going to do some acoustic for you". Just struck me as a pretty cool thing to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

Gene Hunt, f**kin legend:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

WGC+Accenture+Match+Play+Championship+Round+FtLA4tobp34l.jpg

The+Masters+Preview+Day+2+MFaz3WAEvBVl.jpg

137th+Open+Championship+ZFzov9cKIgml.jpg
    3 very cool golfers (if such a thing is possible :) ) Camilo Villegas, Fred Couples and David Duval.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

chris-cornell-colour17.jpg

Supercool bloke. The guy must have a deal with the devil...

• Advertisement
Advertisement