Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Home Conversion.

• 14-03-2011 11:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭

I understand that the procedure for declaring van to camper conversion has changed. Form VRT6 must be completed and forwarded to Rosslare along with photographs, receipts etc.
    At what stage in the process can you tax the vehicle as a camper and what should I bring along to my local motor tax office. I picked up a "change of particulars" form RF111 today. Is that the correct form ?

I would appreciate any advice on this matter especially from someone who has
    dealt with a similar situation recently.

Regards.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

unfit2006 wrote: »
    I understand that the procedure for declaring van to camper conversion has changed. Form VRT6 must be completed and forwarded to Rosslare along with photographs, receipts etc.
    At what stage in the process can you tax the vehicle as a camper and what should I bring along to my local motor tax office. I picked up a "change of particulars" form RF111 today. Is that the correct form ?

I would appreciate any advice on this matter especially from someone who has
    dealt with a similar situation recently.

Regards.

I went through the whole process last November, and used the form VRT6GEN. Here's what I had to do:
    • Send in VRT6GEN along with about 20 photos, didn't send in receipts as it was a home conversion (I stated this on the form)
    • CVO in Rosslare replied within 10 days, and gave me an OMSP of my vehicle
    • You then have to pay c.13.3% of the OMSP in your local tax office
    • When that is done, you will get a letter from CVO stating that your van has changed classification
    • You bring this letter along with your tax renewal form to your local tax office
    • You're taxed!!

My van was over 3,000kg so I sent a weight cert to the tax office instead of paying the VRT on the van - this was done away with on the 1st of January so you will have to pay the VRT. Just a note, the OMSP of your vehicle will generally be a lot higher than you think your van is worth. This OMSP can be appealed, but only after you pay the full VRT amount. Also, the Motor Tax office will probably take your logbook to get it changed to a camper on the book, but you'll have it back within a week.

Best of luck with it, you should post some pics up of your home conversion!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

I'm about 85% of the way there with my conversion at the minute. I've paid the VRT on it as it was an english reg van and now on irish plates. I've no log book for the van as I was told that when I tax it, they'll send out a log book. I won't be taxing it as a van and will be getting it reclassified first. Should I just complete this form as you did steve?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

stevire wrote: »
    Just a note, the OMSP of your vehicle will generally be a lot higher than you think your van is worth. This OMSP can be appealed, but only after you pay the full VRT amount.

Under the old system that is not striclty correct but it may have changed. You can dispuit it on the day in the VRT office and after that you can appeal. I'd bring print outs to show what other vans are a selling for and argue. Friday evening when they want to go home is a great time

I'm about 85% of the way there with my conversion at the minute. I've paid the VRT on it as it was an english reg van and now on irish plates. I've no log book for the van as I was told that when I tax it, they'll send out a log book. I won't be taxing it as a van and will be getting it reclassified first. Should I just complete this form as you did steve?

You'll need the logbook to send it down to the CVO with the form, you can give the motor tax headquarters in Shannon a ring and they'll send out another logbook. Also you will have to pay VRT again when reclassifying it from a van to a campervan. The VRT will based on what price they think your van is worth as a campervan, so it'll be a lot higher than what you originally paid to get it on irish plates.
    Under the old system that is not striclty correct but it may have changed. You can dispuit it on the day in the VRT office and after that you can appeal. I'd bring print outs to show what other vans are a selling for and argue. Friday evening when they want to go home is a great time

Maybe it was different, but I tried to appeal it and my Local Tax Office told me it can only be appealed once the VRT is paid. They said that's the OMSP price given by the CVO. The lady also said that a lot of the time they have a chart of campervans and their current value so they will just look at that when coming up with an OMSP regardless of how good/bad your conversion is!

After I heard all this I went and got the van weighed and went down the 3 tonne route...

• Registered Users Posts: 48 merc camper

I think everybody has different experiences when getting their van reclassified.
    I think the rules changed at the new year but this is my story from December 2010 and about 3 years ago
    I have converted 2 vans, one I brought to clondalkin tax office they did not ask about the weight, they gave it a quick inspection and sent the log book off to be changed. No VRT was mentioned.
    The second van I had a similar experience at naas tax office. Only difference they wanted to see DOE before taxing it

• Advertisement

You'll need the logbook to send it down to the CVO with the form, you can give the motor tax headquarters in Shannon a ring and they'll send out another logbook. Also you will have to pay VRT again when reclassifying it from a van to a campervan. The VRT will based on what price they think your van is worth as a campervan, so it'll be a lot higher than what you originally paid to get it on irish plates.

I know that I'll have to pay more VRT, and I'm ok with that. The thing is, I don't have the logbook. I gave the NCT centre the uk one when they cleared it to irish plates.

Will the Tax HQ in Shannon send one out in this situation if i ring and ask? I didn't know that, must do it tomorrow.

I think everybody has different experiences when getting their van reclassified.
    I think the rules changed at the new year but this is my story from December 2010 and about 3 years ago
    I have converted 2 vans, one I brought to clondalkin tax office they did not ask about the weight, they gave it a quick inspection and sent the log book off to be changed. No VRT was mentioned.
    The second van I had a similar experience at naas tax office. Only difference they wanted to see DOE before taxing it

For the record I did all mine through Naas aswell last November! Wasn't asked for a DOE...
    I know that I'll have to pay more VRT, and I'm ok with that. The thing is, I don't have the logbook. I gave the NCT centre the uk one when they cleared it to irish plates.

Will the Tax HQ in Shannon send one out in this situation if i ring and ask? I didn't know that, must do it tomorrow.

Have you taxed the van yet? Think your tax office requests the logbook from the Department of Transport in Shannon after you pay your tax. You shouldn't have to pay for it in this case as it's not a lost/replacement log book, if you are ringing them yourself!

For the record I did all mine through Naas aswell last November! Wasn't asked for a DOE...

Have you taxed the van yet? Think your tax office requests the logbook from the Department of Transport in Shannon after you pay your tax. You shouldn't have to pay for it in this case as it's not a lost/replacement log book, if you are ringing them yourself!

No, not yet. Won't be taxing until its re-classified. Tried calling this morning. Can't get through surprise surprise.

Just been in touch with them and with rosslare and they told me to get the form on the revenue website.

This one

Can someone tell me if this is the VRT6 form? I don't know if it is, and they are also looking for a form to be filled in by a 'suitably competent' person to say the conversion was done right.

The VRT6 isn't listed on the website anywhere. Can anyone give me a copy of it perchance?

Just been in touch with them and with rosslare and they told me to get the form on the revenue website.

This one

Can someone tell me if this is the VRT6 form? I don't know if it is, and they are also looking for a form to be filled in by a 'suitably competent' person to say the conversion was done right.

The VRT6 isn't listed on the website anywhere. Can anyone give me a copy of it perchance?

That form is new to me, and is not the VRT6 form. All I did was fill out this form and send it in:

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vrt/forms/vrt6-gen.pdf

• Advertisement

That form is new to me, and is not the VRT6 form. All I did was fill out this form and send it in:

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vrt/forms/vrt6-gen.pdf

Either they've taken the form down or my computer doesn't like that link

Either they've taken the form down or my computer doesn't like that link

Sorry never even checked the link, just had it bookmarked and copied and pasted it in. Maybe they changed the process again??

I have the form attached, I had it saved locally on my machine:

vrt6-gen.pdf

Excellent. Thanks for that.....

Sent the revenue an email the other day and this is the response I got.

Fingers
    The VRT 6 Form has been updated. The form you are looking for is
    at:-www.revenue.ie, and,
    VRT, Forms, ( at bottom of list), then
    Declaration of conversion by vehicle owner .

Advertisement