Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox Noob

• 15-03-2011 12:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 462 ✭✭

I have a PS3 but would like to get the Xbox for a few exclusives like Pinball FX 2 and so on.

I use O2 broadband for the PS3 which works fine all the time, no problems connecting. But wondering would it have problems connecting to Xbox live? Cos there would be no point in getting it if I can't connect. Heard a lot of weird stuff about strict, moderate and open. Never had that on the PS3.

Also wondering if every Xbox comes with a HDMI cable?

And would a 4GB be a good one to get? Obviously the cheapest but wouldn't be going all out for games cos the of the PS3. But would like a few XBLA games to download.

And last but not least.... I have this annoying problem when downloading games on the PS3. At 14% installation it stops and then says error, corrupt file. Anyone ever have this problem on the Xbox?

I tried downloading the new Tiger woods demo on PSN and it was 1.7GB. Wasted bandwidth cos of the installation error. Was going at a decent download speed, 5MB, but no joy.
    Thought it might be the PSN being very stubborn with mobile broadband. Maybe XBLA would be more forgiving.

Any good deals out there? I can get to HMV and Xtravision and Game stop.

I already have an account set-up and avatar made. I like the way it's done online. Lot of access to info on friends and stuff. A lot better detailed then the PS3 online.

Thanks for reading the noob tube.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 462 ✭✭Btwndeyes

well if your downloading alot of arcade games the 4gb will fill up.
    Never had a problem with the error you mentioned.
    No hdmi is seperate.
    Gamestop did have a good offer on a 250gb but that might be finished by now.
    Jeff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 462 ✭✭Suspiria79

Thanks, Jeff. As long as I can connect, it would be perfect. Would have to search around for a good 250GB deal cos I know 4GB sounds like nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Willbbz

Now to break this down :pac:
    I use O2 broadband for the PS3 which works fine all the time, no problems connecting. But wondering would it have problems connecting to Xbox live? Cos there would be no point in getting it if I can't connect. Heard a lot of weird stuff about strict, moderate and open. Never had that on the PS3.

You should be able to connect to xbox live but you will have to connect with either an ethernet cable or wifi. No USB dongle will work in the xbox 360
    Also wondering if every Xbox comes with a HDMI cable?

Open to correction but I don't think so
    And would a 4GB be a good one to get? Obviously the cheapest but wouldn't be going all out for games cos the of the PS3. But would like a few XBLA games to download.

Arcade titles vary in in size. Some can be 100mb, others can be 1GB. A few titles will be able to be stored on the HDD. I don't think you can backup many Xbox 360 games though with that much space as games Like Black Ops are around 8GB. Might be alright for downloading demos and trying them out though

and last but not least.... I have this annoying problem when downloading games on the PS3. At 14% installation it stops and then says error, corrupt file. Anyone ever have this problem on the Xbox?

Well that's a playstation and we're talking about an xbox :p Different platforms
    I already have an account set-up and avatar made. I like the way it's done online. Lot of access to info on friends and stuff. A lot better detailed then the PS3 online.

Great but I know if you set up your account on a new xbox 360 you are entitled to one month free XBL Gold subscription.

Forgot say about the 02, know a few ppl using it, it can be tough for the more active online games such as call of duty etc but is doable!!

I have an ethernet cable. That's how I can connect to the PS3. Always works. Might lag now and then during the peak hours but I can live with that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

spend the extra 50 quid on the 250gb, we all know you'll be selling the ps3 when you realise you made the wrong choice of console in the first place ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

garv123 wrote: »
    We all know you'll be selling the ps3 when you realise you made the wrong choice of console in the first place ;)

Not this again.....

Epic-Facepalm.jpg

tactical_facepalm.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭DY2011

spend the extra 50 quid on the 250gb, we all know you'll be selling the ps3 when you realise you made the wrong choice of console in the first place ;)

This.

Just wondering how sky player works on xbox live. Do you just subscribe with an account for free on the sky player and connect to it on xbox live for free?
    Or do you need to pay subscription fee on top of your xbox live gold membership?

• Advertisement

Suspiria79 wrote: »
    Just wondering how sky player works on xbox live. Do you just subscribe with an account for free on the sky player and connect to it on xbox live for free?
    Or do you need to pay subscription fee on top of your xbox live gold membership?

as far as i know if you have sky plus you can link it to your xbox for free and without sky plus you pay for it

Sky player is a waste then. It should be free after spending 50 euro membership on xbox.

Sky player is a waste then. It should be free after spending 50 euro membership on xbox.

its only good if youve got sky plus already.

Does an ethernet cable come with the xbox? Heard it did before, dunno about lately, though.

Does an ethernet cable come with the xbox? Heard it did before, dunno about lately, though.
    any xbox ive seen had one with them. a decent length too.

I get a NAT type 2 on my PS3 which is a good thing. Would this mean I'd get an open NAT on the xbox? Cos that's good, too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

It doesn't. You don't get hdmi cable too.

I really find it stupid, all this hd gaming advertising and you get scart cable.... Like WTF?!

Are xbox games region free? Can play American games on an Irish console?

Are xbox games region free? Can play American games on an Irish console?
    Nope, region locked

Btwndeyes wrote: »
    Nope, region locked

Strange, the PS3 isn't locked like that at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Strange, the PS3 isn't locked like that at all.

True regarding the PS3..... (I have one aswell!)

On the 360 some games work, some dont, afaik most Ubisoft games are region free, and Valve ones, see a compatible list on Play Asia.com.....

When you make a transaction on XBLA and had trouble installing the download, is it possible to start over and download again and try install it?
    I had loads of trouble installing some stuff on PSN but there was a chance to download it again and install.
    Not sure how Xbox is for downloads. Wonder if anyone had trouble installing stuff. I had trouble on installs on the PS3 at 14% then it stops.
    I haven't the bandwidth to be messing around with.

When you make a transaction on XBLA and had trouble installing the download, is it possible to start over and download again and try install it?
    I had loads of trouble installing some stuff on PSN but there was a chance to download it again and install.
    Not sure how Xbox is for downloads. Wonder if anyone had trouble installing stuff. I had trouble on installs on the PS3 at 14% then it stops.
    I haven't the bandwidth to be messing around with.

once you pay for it you can download it and remove it and then download it over and over. i'd to do it twice with online codes for battlefield

once you pay for it you can download it and remove it and then download it over and over. i'd to do it twice with online codes for battlefield

Ah right, did you have trouble installing?

Ah right, did you have trouble installing?

no problems downloading anything before. only reason i had to do it was because for some reason they vanished when i moved the console to a different room

So I got an xbox today and can connect grand to xbox live and so on.
    I already made an account online before I got the xbox.
    I'm signed in now and it's downloading a trial game.
    I was wondering.... can I get my free months subscription to xbox live with this account? Cos I realized there is an option to join xbox live but I just went with the other account. Will I be able to use this account to get the month free?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Why would Sky give it free to all XBOX Live subscribers?

I can't see where the free one month gold subscription is at all?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭The Little Fella

I can't see where the free one month gold subscription is at all?

at the dashboard, go into connect to xbox live and go through the sign up process and eventually you'll be offered the month free.

• Advertisement

I found it eventually after clicking on 'upgrade later'
    Not very clear as to how to sign up but I suppose I got it now.

Advertisement