Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

interview dress wear

• 15-03-2011 12:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭

I don't know were to put this but i'll let the mods change it.

i'm currently getting job offers and have gotten 2 and had 2 interviews and was advised by my brother in law to wear a suit to them as he works with people to get a job and what to wear.

the job is panel beating in a garage, i've heard to dress casual but dressy jeans not baggy and a shirt shoes. should i wear that to one or slacks shoes shirt and tie?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Doesnt matter what the job is,one should always,always,always wear a suit to an interview.As far as Im concerned a formal interview should be treated as such and the interviewee should be dressed accordingly.

I get Otis' point about the suit, but something tells me that it just wouldn't work for the job you're going for. I think that your second option (slacks, shoes, shirt and tie) is better. It's a step up from smart casual and treats the interviewer with respect, without being OTT.

Do you know anyone managing in a similar place who could advise you?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Yeah, that one is a tough call, The way I'd look at is
    Dress like you were invited to the Afters of a Wedding, Look smart, but don't overdo it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Chaotic_Forces

I'd say slacks and a shirt and shoes. Depending on the weather and what you plan to wear out (if you get a suit jacket and it's like 28 degrees, you'll just look bad). I'd never go to any interview in jeans or anything less than slacks, shirt and and shoes. Even if it's for a job digging up muck all day; it's their first impression with you, you should look your best.

Always go slacks/shirt/shoes. Tie and suit jacket optional, at least that's my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

While I get where the above posters are coming from - its not a suit and tie wearing job - I still feel that for any job interview the interviewee should be in a minimum of a shirt,tie and slacks,it just looks IMO better.

Id be fairly sure that most other guys attending the interview will be in similar attaire but if not,at least you will stand out from the crowd,first impressions in an interview can make the difference,especially if your competition are similar to yourself experience wise.

Best of luck with it what ever you decide anyway,let us know how you get on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

i would agree with Otis except in the case where your told to go casual. it doesnt bode well when someone turns up for an interview and the only thing youve said to them hasnt been listened to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

While I get where the above posters are coming from - its not a suit and tie wearing job - I still feel that for any job interview the interviewee should be in a minimum of a shirt,tie and slacks,it just looks IMO better.

Id be fairly sure that most other guys attending the interview will be in similar attaire but if not,at least you will stand out from the crowd,first impressions in an interview can make the difference,especially if your competition are similar to yourself experience wise.

I disagree. I know a guy who turned up to a similar interview in a suit and the guy interviewing him was surprised to say the least.

Best advice is to just ring them and ask.

I know a suit should always look better, but you are dressing to impress/fit in with the organisation you are applying to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Nice trousers, no jeans, and shirt, no tie. You're not applying for an office job.
    Imo you should look nice and clean but not overdo it.

At the end of the day it's your personality and skills that will win you the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

biko wrote: »
    Nice trousers, no jeans, and shirt, no tie. You're not applying for an office job.

At the end of the day it's your personality and skills that will win you the job.

Bang on the money. Dress smart casual. Nothing sloppy but if it genuinely is a dress down, jeans only sort of place, a pair of slacks and a shirt should be the right call. If it was any sort of job with an office aspect, from toilet cleaning to MD I'd say wear a suit. However, people not only interview you on your skills and ability, you are interviewed on your suitability for the organisation. If an organisation has no suits whatsoever and everyone is very casual, then dress somewhat casually but appear neat and professional.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

biko wrote: »

Exactly,i had an interview last week for a factory job,and while i wore a pants and shirt with shoes and i got a call back.To the OP as long as you dont go in with a hoddie and look like you just rolled out of the bed you will be alright.

As Biko said they wont be hiring you because of your dress sense,it will be work experience skills etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

As Biko said they wont be hiring you because of your dress sense,it will be work experience skills etc.
    True enough, I once got a job for a management position after doing the interview in t-shirt, chinos and sandals.
    Through some mix-up I got the dates wrong for the interview and got called on the day asking where I was. They agreed to go ahead with the interview if I could come in there and then so there was no time to go home and change.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭nowayout1

cheers guys for the advice, i should know this week some time if i got the job. if i get another interview it'll be slacks, shoes, shirt and maybe tie

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

nowayout1 wrote: »
    I don't know were to put this but i'll let the mods change it.

i'm currently getting job offers and have gotten 2 and had 2 interviews and was advised by my brother in law to wear a suit to them as he works with people to get a job and what to wear.

the job is panel beating in a garage, i've heard to dress casual but dressy jeans not baggy and a shirt shoes. should i wear that to one or slacks shoes shirt and tie?

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭nowayout1

hey guys cheers for the advice. I got a phone call on Wednesday to say i got the job in a garage I'm so happy finally back to work and get my apprenticeship finished. I wore a suit to the interview i guess I dressed up well to get the job.

Agent_Smith - i like the video, i like it a lot.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Congratulations, I hope you enjoy your new job and do well in it :)

nowayout1 wrote: »
    hey guys cheers for the advice. I got a phone call on Wednesday to say i got the job in a garage

Nice one. Well done and all the best in the job.

Advertisement