Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United vs Olympique de Marseille / Tuesday 15-03-11 7:45pm

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

killwill wrote: »
    Lets translate to what you are really thinking, I am so damn annoyed United look to be progressing again to the CL latter stages. Now let me try annoy United fans and see if someone bites............tumbleweed!!!
    No Smalling has just been terrible tonight. Carry on with your paranoia

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

Can we have Inter Milan again? some result for them tonight

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Marseille roughing up Chico after the whistle lol.

He was impressive tonight, great poacher.

Fuhrer wrote: »
    Just saying im going to enjoy the Liverpool tommorow
    Right so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

Had a bit on Chico to score first and United 2-0 at 20/1... FU Wes Orange :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,953 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Champions Leage games are on Tuesday and Wedensday mate

And what competition are Liverpool playing?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Kirtsy up next.

She almost makes TV3s coverage worth watching.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Divorce Referendum

Mister men wrote: »

How has he been terrible?. What in your mind did he do wrong?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,313 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Just saying im going to enjoy the Liverpool tommorow

You will be on your own in that case :p

mars bar wrote: »
    And what competition are Liverpool playing?!

they in the competition for 6th spot:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

Samba wrote: »
    Both teams coming into this match off the back of 2-0 wins, Marseille won away to Rennes over the weekend taking them to second place in the league.

I hope united show up tomorrow and we take the wind out of their sails early on, if not this is going to be a nervy match.

I'll go with an excitable 2-1 with Hernandez to come on as a sub and pinch the game. I'm quietly hoping there won't be any need to bring him on, other than to give a striker a rest.

I expect a different game to what we saw in Marseille.

Ahh sure, can't get it all right ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

BERBA wrote: »
    Can we have Inter Milan again? some result for them tonight

no back trackin now, It's United for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

I don't suffer from paranoia, I enjoy it!!!!!!
    You know what else I will carry on enjoying? United into the quarter finals of the Champion's League yet again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Will be a different united team when nani and valencia are starting imo, job done all that matters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

lol at Smalling is terrible comment. What a rubbish poster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Champions Leage games are on Tuesday and Wedensday mate

Liverpool are in the Europa League, didn't you hear?
    Yakult wrote: »

Reminds me of myself playing football at lunch, tbh. Except he's fast and can score, other than that we're extremely similar.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Got away with that one, still you have to ride your luck to reach any final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,398 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Yakult wrote: »
    Marseille roughing up Chico after the whistle lol.

Looked to me like the other guy just went to shake his hand and he reacted badly.

He looked slow,bad positioning,not tracking the runner on several counter attacks for Marseille, that said he's young and has time on his side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Please get Schalke in the next round!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement

I don't suffer from paranoia, I enjoy it!!!!!!
    You know what else I will carry on enjoying? United into the quarter finals of the Champion's League yet again.
    You enjoy being Paranoid? Okay so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Rob113

notBigSam (@TheBig_Sam)
    15/03/2011 21:26
    I'd like to see Fabio, Valencia & Nani line up in a defensive wall. It'd be like looking at the different stages of Michael Jackson's life.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Graniaud's Minute-by-minute with Paul Doyle...
    Full-time: "Manchester United march on!" hollers Sky's commentator but United did not march, they staggered. Hernandez was the difference, showing the supreme poacher's instinct that Marseille lacked to give United the victory even though the visitors created the better chances. Marseille will be kicking themselves .. and probably missing.

:D

Marseille should put in a bid for Twigg. A side with no finisher against a home team who didn't impose themselves on the game as much as I had thought.Utd shouldn't have had this much trouble with such wayward opposition.

Please get Schalke in the next round!!!!!!!!

banker thats what will happen sure dont united always get the cushy draw:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

he's regurgitating the sky sports half time analysis as if it's his own opinion.

yes he was caught out of position a few times, but he's 21 and paired with somebody who works better at rb, isn't as vocal as vida and hasn't kicked much football this year, plus Marseilles are a good side. Smalling done a lot of things right in that game.

Rob113 wrote: »
    notBigSam (@TheBig_Sam)
    15/03/2011 21:26
    I'd like to see Fabio, Valencia & Nani line up in a defensive wall. It'd be like looking at the different stages of Michael Jackson's life.
    :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Divorce Referendum

He looked slow,bad positioning,not tracking the runner on several counter attacks for Marseille, that said he's young and has time on his side.

Im sorry but that is just bull****e. He isnt slow and the only case he may have been out of position was for the gignac chance in the first half. Hardly call him terrible for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

mike65 wrote: »
    Got away with that one, still you have to ride your luck to reach any final.

They must still have the fuzzy pictures in waterford Mike, we were confortable all nigh IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

I wouldn't say terrible, but I certainly wouldn't say he was good. The main issue for Smalling was that he was nowhere to be seen when a corner or cross from the by-line was whipped in. Also, it's the job of the central defenders to make sure that the opposition attacking threats are properly marked for corners. It was ridiculous seeing a tiny Paul Scholes marking a player half a foot taller than him. He's still young enough to learn this sort of thing, so I won't write him off yet. I certainly wouldn't be starting him by choice in a key match like this though.

• Advertisement

Im sorry but that is just bull****e. He isnt slow and the only case he may have been out of position was for the gignac chance in the first half. Hardly call him terrible for that.
    Opinions what

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

'Just the two of us' song is well suited to Chico and some United posters here.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

Smalling wasn't expected to play this many games in his debut season and has been mainly outstanding bar tonight, inexperience showed. But even with that rawness he is still a better defender than a lot of defenders outside the top 4 in england. Carragher isn't fit to lick his boots:P

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Looked to me like the other guy just went to shake his hand and he reacted badly.

Whistle went and I think the ball was between Hernandez legs, Diawara tried kicking it and kicked our hero!

Le King wrote: »
    lol at Smalling is terrible comment. What a rubbish poster.
    This is a discussion forum. If you are incapable of discussion maybe you should refrain from the insults.

You enjoy being Paranoid? Okay so.

woosh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

baz2009 wrote: »
    Liverpool are in the Europa League, didn't you hear?

Really?

But surely they'll have Champions League Football next season?

Smalling wasn't expected to play this many games in his debut season and has been mainly outstanding bar tonight, inexperience showed. But even with that rawness he is still a better defender than a lot of defenders outside the top 4 in england. Carragher isn't fit to lick his boots:P
    What's Carragher got to do with tonights match :confused: Strange comment tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,398 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Whistle went and I think the ball was between Hernandez legs, Diawara tried kicking it and kicked our hero!

Didn't see that TBH...just seen Diawara try and turn him around and Hernandez react badly.

kirstein is smokin hot mmmmmmmmmmmmm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

G'wan the Kirsty.

Nyom.

• Advertisement

This is a discussion forum. If you are incapable of discussion maybe you should refrain from the insults.

Refrain from insults? I have a saying for you, if you have nothing positive to say, just say nothing. You are just trying to wum your way through the thread trying to take away from United putting in a decent performance and qualifying for the Quarter Finals of the CL, something you are obviously upset about as the Pool won't be there for a least 2 more seasons at best!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Rob113

Really?

But surely they'll have Champions League Football next season?

Fail again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Baffled anybody could come out and say Smalling was terrible tonight. He was decent, what you would expect a young centre half to play like. He was mostly decent with the very odd slip. Brown was below average alright. But Smalling was decent, especially considering the occasion and his age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,469 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Have to agree that Smalling didn't have his best of games. Same as with the Liverpool game, him and Brown are useless together. The lack of understanding and/or communication is evident and resulted in a poor performance from the two. Smalling had a problem without having a player beside him talking to him and helping him with decisions, which is understandable when you consider how little professional coaching he has had. He simply was caught between dropping off to cover Brown or going to the ball and knowing Brown would cover him - the understanding wasn't there, so the performance wasn't there either.

If Vidic or Rio had been playing with him tonight, I reckon he would have had a much better game, simply because he would have been more sure about what he was supposed to do, and would have had someone leading the line beside him.

In all honesty, Brown should be experienced and forcefull enough to have fulfilled that role beside Smalling, and helped him more tonight.

They were both rubbish, but I would blame Brown more so for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Job done for United, pretty even overall but United took their chances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Am I still alone in thinking Rooney's career is going to mirror Scholes? He's shown again tonight how good a conductor he is. Perfect for a number 10 but I'm almost certain that he's going to drift back into centre midfield more and more where he's constantly involved and dictating play as Scholes has been so good at doing for many years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

What's Carragher got to do with tonights match :confused: Strange comment tbh.

You were saying how bad (the inexperienced) smalling was and i was pointing out how he is still a better player than carragher(an experienced defender you could you as a reference). Not sure if you can't understand that or were you're comments looking for a different reaction:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,469 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Also, looks like Rooney is getting back to something like his best, at just the right time. Was excellent on the ball tonight.

Looks like the selfless version from prior to last season though, which will hurt the goal tally for him - he is looking for a pass far more than he did last season. Don't know if that is confidence or a concious decision to look for the simple ball rather than having a go himself. Last season he was shooting whenever he got a look at goal. A lot of the time it did not come off, but enough of the time it did (Personally, I think last season was his worst in terms of all round play - though his goal scoring was phenomenal!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

Have to agree that Smalling didn't have his best of games. Same as with the Liverpool game, him and Brown are useless together. The lack of understanding and/or communication is evident and resulted in a poor performance from the two. Smalling had a problem without having a player beside him talking to him and helping him with decisions, which is understandable when you consider how little professional coaching he has had. He simply was caught between dropping off to cover Brown or going to the ball and knowing Brown would cover him - the understanding wasn't there, so the performance wasn't there either.

If Vidic or Rio had been playing with him tonight, I reckon he would have had a much better game, simply because he would have been more sure about what he was supposed to do, and would have had someone leading the line beside him.

In all honesty, Brown should be experienced and forcefull enough to have fulfilled that role beside Smalling, and helped him more tonight.

I agree he didn't have his best game but calling his performance rubbish is far too harsh, you're spot on about Brown I think he's the contributing factor which gives Smalling the jitters when they're paired up and that's not surprising tbh, look at the example Vidic leads for him in comparison to Brown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

I think rubbish is harsh on Smalling. Not fantastic, but he did a decent job on Gignac. Brown's poor game and the constant changes at the back due to the injuries are what I'd blame for the chances Marseille had. O'Shea going off really didn't help from corners, which is where Marseille had a large amount of their chances.

They are a poor combination alright. But that is par for the course throughout Brown's career. He is always dodgy at CB, much better at RB.

• Advertisement
Advertisement