Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help tracing who owns a Voip 076 number

• 15-03-2011 1:32am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,965 ✭✭✭

I had my iPhone 4 stolen yesterday and the thief forwarded my voice mail to
    an 076 number. I know that number is a VOIP number and if I can trace the
    user of this number then it might help me trace the thief and I can
    get my phone back.

I do know that number is allocated to CW Energis (cable and wireless) but they told its a Skype number using their infrastructure. If anyone can tell me how to trace who is using the number I would be eternally gratefull especially as my phone was not insured.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭mgmt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,965 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Thanks for the tips mobileme was on the iPhone but as the thief turned it off it can't be tracked hence the reason for tracing the voip number.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

The only way to get the owner/location of the number is via the guards. If you have reported it stolen and can show them that your voice mail was forwarded to that number then they can request the owner and location of the number from the VOIP provider.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,965 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

FSL wrote: »
    The only way to get the owner/location of the number is via the guards. If you have reported it stolen and can show them that your voice mail was forwarded to that number then they can request the owner and location of the number from the VOIP provider.
    I got another iPhone stolen from me last week when I got mugged for it. The same Skype number as last time was rung by the thief. Still had no joy in chasing the number any more suggestions?.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

I got another iPhone stolen from me last week when I got mugged for it. The same Skype number as last time was rung by the thief. Still had no joy in chasing the number any more suggestions?.

Try the Guards as mensioned above and contact Skype. Also, contact your service provider as soon as possible and have the imei number blocked Within 48 hours, and irish networks work to
    together with theft issues, they suggest you contact the guards as well.

When you contact your service provider, they will block the IMEI number on the phone and the SIM number aswell.

Edit:Once the IMEI number is blocked, the phone is useless and will not work- you probably have a pin number on it aswell. Blocking the sim will prevent unauthorized use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 mayorose

Same thing happened me there the weekend folks, iphone was robbed, no app for tracking it. They called this VOIP number shortly afterwards and then diverted that number to my own voicemail. Gardai are on the case but very little faith they will track down the owner of the that number. Devastated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

I've heard of a few people getting their phones stolen in Dublin in the docklands area.

Whoever it is, seems to be targeting iPhones and high-end Androids e.g. Samsung Galaxy S / SII and HTC Sensation etc etc.

Where did this happen?

Just wondering where I should avoid taking my phone out!

Did you try calling the number and seeing who answers? (Block your own number beforehand - 141 on your landline or #31# on your mobile)

If someone's setup Hullomail on the phone, it would forward to 076....

• Registered Users Posts: 15 mayorose

it was out in town on sat night, think they must have spotted it in my hand and snapped it when I wasnt looking. Tried ringing the number and its been diverted to my own voicemail. .
    Iv heard the docklands and amiens street is horrific for getting phones stolen.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

mayorose wrote: »
    it was out in town on sat night, think they must have spotted it in my hand and snapped it when I wasnt looking. Tried ringing the number and its been diverted to my own voicemail. .
    Iv heard the docklands and amiens street is horrific for getting phones stolen.

You must contact your phone provider ASAP to IMEI lock the phone. You can cancel the diverts no problem over the phone to your network provider. You can check who it was assigned to at comreg.ie.

The guards as fsl is the only way..

Advertisement