Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

what to charge for wedding?

• 15-03-2011 1:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭

hey everyone

just wondering what is a standard rate to do a wedding i dont want to fell like im ripping or underselling myself off my day will be starting at 6am in the brides house to get the before pictures then to naas for the venue then afters for candid pictures im not looking for what you charge but what is a basic rate

thanks in advance simon

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

Depends what you're offering. Are you a standard photographer? :) SOme people charge €5000, some people charge €50.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭sikahunter

well im not a pro ive been into it for awhile they seen some of my stuff in my house and loved what i did

what they want is mostly candid work theyle be getting an album or 2 and all pictures put on a disk for back up

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Are these friends?

Have you done a Wedding before?

What are your expenses?

I must tell you that Weddings scare the crap out of me. I have only done them for friends and family over the years. What I did each time was do the Photography as my Wedding Present to the couple, so giving them something they actually wanted. This was after explaining that I am NOT a Wedding Photographer and did not carry back up gear nor do I have insurance. So it was clearly understood that I will do my best but if the Pidgeon of Disaster decided to pick that day to drop a load it cannot be helped. Each time I have done it I ended up enjoying the process and was told the end results were better than they were expecting from some of the Togs they could not afford. If I were being paid then all that changes and suddenly you are in a commercial arrangement. At your level of experience that is a lot of stress and anguish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 grif04

At an amature stage of entering wedding photography, the price can most definatley range depending on your portfolio and overall quality of work, you have to be able to realistically look at your work and ask yourself how much is worth based between 50euro - 450.

450euro is the minimum amature rate going at the moment, probably on the more expensive range of an amature photographer, i charge up to 800 at the moment but getting into the 1000's is something more seasoned wedding photographers are worth.

basically, if your photos are ****, dont waste your time doing a 12hour day and 2 days of work for 50euro, there is no gain from it. focus on improving yourself first

if you think you are somewhat good, have the style for weddings, charge around 300 or round about give or take, CD only explaining what it includes to your client (hours in the day, processing time and extras you might buy ((a frame or a book)) )

Id highly recommend underselling yourself on the first couple of weddings, just on the basis that you are boosting your portfolio in weddings (if a client asks why you are so cheap)

Remember, wedding photography is serious business, dont **** up someones wedding photos cause you thought you were good. It can be very embarressing and ive seen some awful stuff over the past year or two ive been involved in that give photography a bad name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

If this is your first wedding then I would say free or just enough to cover your costs. Peoples expectations will be based partly on th fee that you charge, as a beginner you should set their expectations appropriately. If you as intending to do this going forward then it is a great opportunity to build your portfolio. (Remember to get written permission to do so)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Remember that if you are charging then you also should carry Insurance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭dakar

What do you think you're worth? That's not intended as a sarky question.

Factor in your time on the day (sounds like a 20+ hour day, not including travel), your travelling and subsistence expenses on the day, your time processing images, your investment in kit, insurance, proper archiving of the images (what if your hard drive goes bang two days after the wedding?), the weight of expectation to provide the required shots and, of course, the taxman will be entitled to a big chunk by rights.

Offset the benefit that you get in terms of experience gained and any warm fuzzy feeling you get for doing a favour for mates (if they are).

Ta da! You have arrived at your destination price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 581 ✭✭✭slimboyfat

Lots of good advice on here, read it and take it on board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭showit

If its your first wedding you could do it for Free, explaining to the couple that your currently working on building your wedding portfolio - if they want an album, charge them the cost price. At least they know what they are getting into.

Be warned that couples who are looking for a Cheap photographer can end up being a nightmare to deal with -

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 grif04

guys, although a great and nice idea to do a friends wedding for free because its your first time sounds like a nice and sound idea, the idea that it is for boosting your portfolio, but id really recommend you charge, be it 50, 250 or 500, whatever, just to get you used to the idea of the numbers involved in doing a wedding, getting used to dealing with a client and dealing with money.

you wont gain any experience doing business by starting out doing it for free, even if you charge 50euro for a days photographing and days after developing photos, its not worth it doing it all for free when you havent gained any experience of money handling, photography is a trade.

The money is there, take it. Sounds simple enough, but if i was getting married and some amature asking me to do it for free, i wouldnt have much confidence in him or her on doing a good job.

price yourself on a price you know you are worth, be professional about it. its someones wedding day, not some photoshoot that you could easily repeat if there was problems.

Granted somepeople dont give half a **** about what their wedding photos are going to be like, but assure them in the future they will appreciate a good job done and it is worth the money being spent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

I'm doing one for free this Summer. It's a present for my sister, only reason I'm doing it, and only reason I'm not charging. She did say I don't have to do it, if I want to just enjoy the day and relax ... I will enjoy it more this way! Weddings are mostly boring, ceremony should fly when I'm busy. It'll be a good experience, I'll know by that ho much work is involved as I'm doing the works; shooting/processing/printing as if it were a paid job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 493 ✭✭nicknackgtb

On the wedding topic, what is an ideal lens for the general use during a wedding, would you be considering something like the 24-70mm f2.8L??

http://www.canon.ie/For%5FHome/Product%5FFinder/Cameras/EF%5FLenses/Standard%5FZoom/EF%5F24%2D70mm%5Ff2.8L%5FUSM/

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭VisionaryP

You're starting at 6am? Are you planning on waking up beside the bride?

On the wedding topic, what is an ideal lens for the general use during a wedding, would you be considering something like the 24-70mm f2.8L??

http://www.canon.ie/For%5FHome/Product%5FFinder/Cameras/EF%5FLenses/Standard%5FZoom/EF%5F24%2D70mm%5Ff2.8L%5FUSM/
    Yes, that's the most common primary wedding lens.

VisionaryP wrote: »

Yes, that's the most common primary wedding lens.

That would be a common zoom to use on a Full Frame body. May be too long on a cropped sensor.

Ok, it's the most commonly used lens amongst wedding photography professionals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Carrigman

sikahunter wrote: »
    ...my day will be starting at 6am in the brides house...

Why in heaven's name do you need to be in the bride's house at 6am?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 871 ✭✭✭DULLAHAN2

I was just reading this thread and some people were mentioning the OP expenses. What would be a photographer's expenses for a wedding if he had all the required kit already? Would it all come after the wedding with editing etc? If the OP was to charge 1000 for the wedding, after all the expense's come out of the 1000 how much would he come out with after paying for it all? Is wedding Photography worth the money at the end of the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

DULLAHAN2 wrote: »
    I was just reading this thread and some people were mentioning the OP expenses. What would be a photographer's expenses for a wedding if he had all the required kit already? Would it all come after the wedding with editing etc? If the OP was to charge 1000 for the wedding, after all the expense's come out of the 1000 how much would he come out with after paying for it all? Is wedding Photography worth the money at the end of the day.

Like a house, it's worth what someone is prepared to pay for it. Some of the prices paid are sheer madness - others charge a relatively small amount in comparison and the product can be much better. Dearest does not always equal best.

Ultimately - like the wedding DVD - the album gets dumped gathering dust somewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭eas

If you're shooting a wedding as a favour or once off then assuming you have all required hardware, software than expenses are mainly the album (if supplying), petrol, some consumables and time.

If however, you're trying to make a living from shooting weddings then IMO everything is an expense. Internet connection, mobile phone, car, insurance, ESB, clothes, albums, ink, paper, computers, marketing, training, stamps etc. it all ads up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Not wanting to freak anybody out but think of wedding photography like this, at the end of the day and in 10-20 years time all that will be left from the wedding will be the memories in your head and what your photographer has captured. Now put a price on that..

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭newbridgemom

I've been shooting weddings now for a couple of years and I still don't know what to charge :)
    For a full day from getting-ready until the 1st couple dances (disc only of high-res files), with quality, unique photographs, I'd say that in Ireland people will expect to pay from €1200-€1900 for a single photographer. If there are two photographers, then you would pay more. Albums are extra and should range from €100-€1000 depending on what the client wants.
    IMHO, good quality photography here is under-valued. People just want a group picture of their families on the wall. In the US, mediocre photographers get at least $3000 for a disc-only package (this always includes an engagement shoot).
    Couples should expect to pay at least 10% of their total wedding budget for a good photographer. Weddings in Ireland average €15,000-€25,000.

. Weddings in Ireland average €15,000-€25,000.

Tell me about it, i stopped counting after i got to 21000 and there was some more stuff to pay for.

Borderfox wrote: »
    Not wanting to freak anybody out but think of wedding photography like this, at the end of the day and in 10-20 years time all that will be left from the wedding will be the memories in your head and what your photographer has captured. Now put a price on that..

I get what you are saying, from my own experience the photographer was top class and we paid 1500 5 years ago. Albums extra. He only did church and reception before dinner.

Whatever the cost the photographer has a massive job to ensure that he doesnt fook it up for the couple. A big responsiability, one for sure i never want to experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68 ✭✭intolerant

DULLAHAN2 wrote: »
    I get what you are saying, from my own experience the photographer was top class and we paid 1500 5 years ago. Albums extra. He only did church and reception before dinner.

Whatever the cost the photographer has a massive job to ensure that he doesnt fook it up for the couple. A big responsiability, one for sure i never want to experience.

I'm preparing to get into Wedding Photography gradually and am conscious that it is a huge responsibility! Recently i asked to see a good friends wedding shots which were taken just a few months ago and was appalled, i havent the heart to tell him but i would actually take the 'photographer' to court over them they were that bad! It is a huge responsibility, therefore its important to have the right kit, good knowledge and work your socks off for the couple!

On the plus side, the fact those pictures were so bad and they charged €2,100 for them it has given me real hope! (i know, thats terrible)

I've been shooting weddings now for a couple of years and I still don't know what to charge :)
    For a full day from getting-ready until the 1st couple dances (disc only of high-res files), with quality, unique photographs, I'd say that in Ireland people will expect to pay from €1200-€1900 for a single photographer. If there are two photographers, then you would pay more. Albums are extra and should range from €100-€1000 depending on what the client wants.
    IMHO, good quality photography here is under-valued. People just want a group picture of their families on the wall. In the US, mediocre photographers get at least $3000 for a disc-only package (this always includes an engagement shoot).
    Couples should expect to pay at least 10% of their total wedding budget for a good photographer. Weddings in Ireland average €15,000-€25,000.

You can go again with that average. I know of one that cost €35k in 2003. But the comparison vs the States isn't valid. They're all mad anyway!:D

I wouldn't agree with the statement that it is undervalued. We were given a present of a sitting last year (to the value of €300). Twenty minute shoot. Total for a 16x12(?) in a large frame €420. And that was with the sitting fee waived as the photographer was doing someone a favour. €40 for each additional 6x4.

I'm sorry, but that is exorbitant. But wedding photographers are no more guilty that the florist, the hotel, the limos, etc. It's a gravy train.

A hotel is usually being filled to at an off-peak time (Saturdays apart); the bar is filled at an off-peak time and they still charge full whack. Myself and the wife went for a meal in Waterford last Saturday night (as peak a time as it gets). Four-course (two steaks) and she had a small bottle of wine. €55. That would probably cost €55 A HEAD at a wedding (at an off-peak time).

Florists are no different. A radio programme some years back highlighted the fact that a local parish priest was charging €100 to open the church for a wedding. There was uproar over the charge. Until a recently married lady phoned in and pointed out much of what I have related above. If you go to a florists and get a bunch of flowers it's €x. Mention that it's for a wedding and they'll just add zeros to it.

Sorry for straying a little bit OT, but it's just to point out that the photographer alone is not guilty. And as I've oft pointed out - you keep paying; they'll keep charging (regardless of which service it is).

There are people who want the memories - and are prepared to pay for them. And there are others who will not. No-one's beating anyone with a stick. I think they call it a free market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Freddie59 wrote: »

I'm sorry, but that is exorbitant. But wedding photographers are no more guilty that the florist, the hotel, the limos, etc. It's a gravy train.

I couldnt agree less.....

What are the costs:

The internet to receive the enquiry, or the line rental to receive. Business cards and advertising to obtain those enquiries.

Internet and line rental to follow up the enquiry. Running and insurance and tax of the car used to go and meet with the clients to confirm the booking, time spent at the meeting and travelling to and from.

Internet and phone for follow up calls. Printer and paper for contracts, pens for signing contract, computer and software for making contracts.

Travel costs and time spent checking out venues 1-2 weeks before the big day.

Travel, time and attire for the day. Memory cards, camera lenses, batteries, flashes, spare memory, spare lenses, spare flashes, spare batteries. Suitable bags to store this equipment. Insurance. Lunch.

Computer and software to process images and time spent on those images over the course of a few days. Time spent on album design and cost of album. Time spent on burning discs of images along with the equipment to burn. Travel costs and time spent on meeting with the clients to go over images and album design. Internet for ordering and uploading album design. Time and travel spent on delivering finalised album, the final meeting.

To account for everything each wedding has to have a percentage which goes towards new equipment, equipment repairs and upgrades along with advertising and business expenses.

If a photographers kit, and all needed to work with totalled 50k, and this isnt far off the mark for many considering you need a vehicle to travle in, putting just 1% of that cost per wedding is €500:eek: If a photographer has even 50 weddings in a year thats 25k, and trust me not many have 50 so all in all, there actually isnt that much money in wedding photography. It is undervalued due to people not understanding the amount of cost and work that goes into it but also a hard business to make it in due to the amount of people doing wedding photography. I

m not complaining about my job, I love my job and feel very fortunate with the amount of weddings I have coming up but I am not expecting to get rich from it, not at all!

I couldnt agree less.....

What are the costs:

The internet to receive the enquiry, or the line rental to receive. Business cards and advertising to obtain those enquiries.

Internet and line rental to follow up the enquiry. Running and insurance and tax of the car used to go and meet with the clients to confirm the booking, time spent at the meeting and travelling to and from.

Internet and phone for follow up calls. Printer and paper for contracts, pens for signing contract, computer and software for making contracts.

Travel costs and time spent checking out venues 1-2 weeks before the big day.

Travel, time and attire for the day. Memory cards, camera lenses, batteries, flashes, spare memory, spare lenses, spare flashes, spare batteries. Suitable bags to store this equipment. Insurance. Lunch.

Computer and software to process images and time spent on those images over the course of a few days. Time spent on album design and cost of album. Time spent on burning discs of images along with the equipment to burn. Travel costs and time spent on meeting with the clients to go over images and album design. Internet for ordering and uploading album design. Time and travel spent on delivering finalised album, the final meeting.

To account for everything each wedding has to have a percentage which goes towards new equipment, equipment repairs and upgrades along with advertising and business expenses.

If a photographers kit, and all needed to work with totalled 50k, and this isnt far off the mark for many considering you need a vehicle to travle in, putting just 1% of that cost per wedding is €500:eek: If a photographer has even 50 weddings in a year thats 25k, and trust me not many have 50 so all in all, there actually isnt that much money in wedding photography. It is undervalued due to people not understanding the amount of cost and work that goes into it but also a hard business to make it in due to the amount of people doing wedding photography. I

m not complaining about my job, I love my job and feel very fortunate with the amount of weddings I have coming up but I am not expecting to get rich from it, not at all!

I can see where you're coming from, and I wish you well in your endeavours and career.:) But realistically, (and I accept you may run your business differently) the couple will probably be met twice. Here in Waterford, any wedding I've attended has seen the stills guy/lady exit stage left before the meal. I'm sure the PP can be time consuming, but that' s part and parcel.

As I've said already, it's up to people what they pay. And is their prerogative.
    @50k for gear+ vehicle seems a bit OTT IMHO.

Freddie59 wrote: »
    I can see where you're coming from, and I wish you well in your endeavours and career.:) But realistically, (and I accept you may run your business differently) the couple will probably be met twice. Here in Waterford, any wedding I've attended has seen the stills guy/lady exit stage left before the meal. I'm sure the PP can be time consuming, but that' s part and parcel.

As I've said already, it's up to people what they pay. And is their prerogative.
    @50k for gear+ vehicle seems a bit OTT IMHO.

I do like to be personal with my clients and meet them at each stage but many of us wedding photographers do. I have travelled to Tipperary, Louth, Wexford for meetings too, not just local. PP is part and parcel true, but obviously it is part of the work and needs paying for! I enjoy my pp and when Im really excited about a wedding I get it done in around 2 days but on average I give myself 4 or 5 days of pp'ing along with looking after my kids.

Top end photogs could be using cameras that cost 5k+, now take into account that a MINIMUM of 2 cameras is needed lets just say 11k, now lenses could mount up to 10k too, computer systems including software could easily be 3k+ and then to buy a printer like mine new would set you back about 3-4k your up to 28k just at a guess, not including the likes of lights and backgrounds if needed and car and insurance and possibly a 3rd set of camera and lenses, website, sample albums etc etc. Now Im not saying my gear is anywhere near that, far from it but many of the old timers would have obtained that amount of gear, look forward to the days when I have it:D I use my busy periods to upgrade gear really, hoping to get a third camera this year and maybe even a mac if I get lucky:o

• Advertisement

So long as we don't confuse "top end photographers" with actually good ones. I've seen results from "top end photographers" that were less than good. Passable at best. Thinking I'd do better myself.

Good gear only gets you so far, it's those who put the work in that make the difference. A real good photographer should be able to get great results from an old dslr and one 2.8 lens.

Just curious Cagey, who would be your favorite wedding photographers?

Not being funny, but anyone who can give great end results. I've seen some great wedding prints from friends/family weddings that didn't cost the earth, and the photographers [who I do not know the names of] were using pretty standard gear.

So long as we don't confuse "top end photographers" with actually good ones. I've seen results from "top end photographers" that were less than good. Passable at best. Thinking I'd do better myself.

Good gear only gets you so far, it's those who put the work in that make the difference. A real good photographer should be able to get great results from an old dslr and one 2.8 lens.

Thats a whole different thread though isnt it.... not being bad though, the better you are the more work you get, the more gear you can afford! I had my days of using next to nothing, now more work is coming in I am already dreaming of what to spend the money on, until I am happy with all of my equipment I will keep upgrading, it wont make me less of a photographer using high end equipment!

Nah, I get ya. I just wouldn't like newer members who've just gotten into it thinking you need €11K worth of gear and that auto makes you a good wedding photographer. I'm betting there's many here, including yourself, who would do a sterling job on a grand's worth ;)

I'm just trying to figure out your comment about separating "top end photographers" from "actually good one's" and what basis you had for making such a comment.

in your opinion, who are these top end photographers that are fooling the world into thinking they are actually good at what they do?

• Advertisement

eas wrote: »
    I'm just trying to figure out your comment about separating "top end photographers" from "actually good one's" and what basis you had for making such a comment.

in your opinion, who are these top end photographers that are fooling the world into thinking they are actually good at what they do?

Why read so much into it? It's pretty straight forward. I don't think tonnes of gear make a better photographer. Why the nit-picking?

Why read so much into it? It's pretty straight forward. I don't think tonnes of gear make a better photographer. Why the nit-picking?

I'm not reading anything into it, I'm interested in the comment you made about not confusing top end photographers with the good one's.

Either way, forget I asked.

eas wrote: »
    I'm not reading anything into it, I'm interested in the comment you made about not confusing top end photographers with the good one's.

Either way, forget I asked.

Don't auto-assume that someone with €11K worth of gear will give the best results ... basically. nothing more.

I do like to be personal with my clients and meet them at each stage but many of us wedding photographers do. I have travelled to Tipperary, Louth, Wexford for meetings too, not just local. PP is part and parcel true, but obviously it is part of the work and needs paying for! I enjoy my pp and when Im really excited about a wedding I get it done in around 2 days but on average I give myself 4 or 5 days of pp'ing along with looking after my kids.

Top end photogs could be using cameras that cost 5k+, now take into account that a MINIMUM of 2 cameras is needed lets just say 11k, now lenses could mount up to 10k too, computer systems including software could easily be 3k+ and then to buy a printer like mine new would set you back about 3-4k your up to 28k just at a guess, not including the likes of lights and backgrounds if needed and car and insurance and possibly a 3rd set of camera and lenses, website, sample albums etc etc. Now Im not saying my gear is anywhere near that, far from it but many of the old timers would have obtained that amount of gear, look forward to the days when I have it:D I use my busy periods to upgrade gear really, hoping to get a third camera this year and maybe even a mac if I get lucky:o

Ah yeah - it all adds up alright. I got a mac last year (but the kids are reared and the mortgage nearly gone). I call it a midlife crisis. But the wife says at least it doesn't wear stilletoes and a skirt!:D Good luck with the business.;)

I know what you mean, I have seen work from people who charge a couple of grand and some of it is sub par.

• Advertisement

Carrigman wrote: »
    Why in heaven's name do you need to be in the bride's house at 6am?
    she wants pictures of everyone getting hair and make up done

I know what you mean, I have seen work from people who charge a couple of grand and some of it is sub par.

I'm not the best with wording at times, but that is what I meant. Just because they have great gear, they think they can charge a fortune, and it won't guarantee great results because of their gear. Whereas a well capable photographer, a very good photographer, will get the results with ANY gear. I wasn't trying to insult anyone, just to make that clear.

Earliest I have been at a brides was 9am, it will make it a really long day starting that early. When does she want you till?

Earliest I have been at a brides was 9am, it will make it a really long day starting that early. When does she want you till?
    the wedding starts at 2pm il be at the reception too so it is a long day i dont mind it its all expereance il gain getting some good advice reading this tread so thanks everyone

si

sikahunter wrote: »
    she wants pictures of everyone getting hair and make up done

For every wedding I arrive at the bride's house 60 to 90 minutes before she leaves for the church and I get shots of the hair and make-up in that time.

Seriously, if you start at 6am you will be seriously knackered by the time the ceremony is finished and your work will suffer.

Advertisement