Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hotel Recommendation for Young Couple

Options
  • 15-03-2011 1:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭

Hi,
    looking for a nice hotel to stay in for 2 nights in Galway City in April.We're 18 and 19 if that's any use to you. Nothing too over the top but nice enough and good enough value.
    Also, any places to go out to and eat/drink in?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

try the house hotel in the centre of town - nice boutique hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

Only hotel i ever stayed in galway was the radisson, grand place my room had a lovely view of lough atalia

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Average-Ro

Hey OP. Check out GoIreland.com They have hotel delas you might find useful. €149 for two people, two nights, and breakfast included. I've used this once already to book a hotel in Dublin, and again recently for a hotel in Ennis. Great for the weekend away type break.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Dags

Stay away from city hotels Galway is i rip off, hotels in Dublin only 59 euro three times that in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭brembo26

There is a travel lodge on the tuam road in Galway, only a few minutes walk form town. You can get a room for a night at €35 depending on the dates. Im sure you could get breakfast aswell but thats probably extra. I havnt stayed there myself but the pictures look grand on there site.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

The house hotel is central, looks good, rooms are nice, bar is nice. Lovely couches to lounge in and enjoy a coffee around the place and the food is pretty good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭McGarnagle92

thanks for all the replies.
    Have to go to Galway as I'm checking out NUI while there.
    Found The Eyre Square Hotel to be nearly the cheapest so far but will check out travelodge etc thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭witnessrenegade

Spanish Arch hotel, always have signs outside with deals for rooms, might be worth a call to price it, stayed their once, was grand, don't think their was breakfast though

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

www.pillohotelgalway.com
    A bit further out but cheap.
    B&Bs will be even cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭drum!

If you're looking for proper shmancy i hear The G Hotel are practically giving away rooms at this stage. Current offer is 55 per person per night for two nights bed and breakfast until the 15th of April. www.theghotel.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

brembo26 wrote: »
    There is a travel lodge on the tuam road in Galway, only a few minutes walk form town. You can get a room for a night at €35 depending on the dates. Im sure you could get breakfast aswell but thats probably extra. I havnt stayed there myself but the pictures look grand on there site.

Travelodge is a a basic 3* hotel for business travellers for companies who don't want to spend too much accommodating staff who have to overnight here.

Not somewhere that I'd ever recommend to someone looking to enjoy the sights and life that is Galway. It's just too far out of town in a bleak area, and with no redeeming features of its own.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭woolyhat

JustMary wrote: »
    Travelodge is a a basic 3* hotel for business travellers for companies who don't want to spend too much accommodating staff who have to overnight here.

Not somewhere that I'd ever recommend to someone looking to enjoy the sights and life that is Galway. It's just too far out of town in a bleak area, and with no redeeming features of its own.

Hi JustMary
    Where would you recommend for a weeks stay in a nice hotel in Galway city centre to enjoy Galway city, shopping etc.? Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bobbytables

woolyhat wrote: »
    Where would you recommend for a weeks stay in a nice hotel in Galway city centre to enjoy Galway city, shopping etc.? Thank you
    Most hotels in the city centre offer the same flair and any deviations to this simpy depend on how picky you are and the mood of the staff while there.

If shopping, you'll be walking around with bags/stuff so I recommend the house hotel, Jury's inn or the harbour hotel. If you're going to be moving about in your own car then just factor in car parking in to the cost of your stay if you want to look towards suburbs. Personally when I'm in Dublin I just make a base in the city centre and forget about the car. Less hassle, etc for the sake of a few euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Most hotels in the city centre offer the same flair and any deviations to this simpy depend on how picky you are and the mood of the staff while there.

If shopping, you'll be walking around with bags/stuff so I recommend the house hotel, Jury's inn or the harbour hotel.

+1 to all that in general. However if in Jurys, I'd avoid the hotel bar. I'm not gonna say why, 'cos it involves being rude about certain section of Irish society. Just saying that I'd avoid it.

I'm more a hostel kind of woman so can't recommend hotels based on my own experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

Seaneh wrote: »
    The house hotel is central, looks good, rooms are nice, bar is nice. Lovely couches to lounge in and enjoy a coffee around the place and the food is pretty good too.

The House Hotel is a nice one

Advertisement