Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Short-term dog foster problem

• 15-03-2011 3:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I recently contacted the dspca and dogstrust as I wanted to foster a dog for approx 7 wks while my father is away on holidays. I have a small dog already and I was hoping to get some company for my dog especially while I am out, at work, etc. I have a fenced garden on a quiet street and my own dog was actually previously a rescue dog aswell.

I was refused on the grounds that they only have dogs looking for permanent homes which I understand is their priority. Unfortunately my situation does not permit me down this route as I live at home with my father; he does not want another permanent dog due to his uncertain immediate future plans ie. possibly moving/selling house.

I did not foresee this as a problem and thought it would be of mutual benefit to both parties. I also did not rule out becoming attached to the foster dog and perhaps being able to persuade my father at that time to keep it. However at this point I now feel I am at a dead end and if anyone has any ideas I would be grateful.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Inexile

Perhaps try another rescue, such as Dogs in Distress, Dogs Aid, Dundalk Dogs or a dogs life.

Some rescues would need a foster place for a dog before it travels onto another rescue in the UK. For example there are two saluki xs in Ashton pound. there is a rescue space in the UK for one of them but a foster space is required for it until its ready for travel.

Do you work full time - will you be able to supervise the initial interactions between the two dogs so you can be certain they will be ok together?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Dogs in Distress don't have a rescue centre so reply on foster's until the dog is homed permanently.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭jimmay

Thanks guys,

I will try Dogs in distress and others if necessary and let you know how I get on.

Inexile - No I don't work full time so I will absolutely be able to supervise the initial interactions between the two dogs.

Advertisement