Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kicking the ball out of play for an injury - yes/no

• 15-03-2011 3:33am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,617 ✭✭✭✭

Why I think its a stupid thing to do. I know the governing bodies say not to do it, but clubs still do it regularly whether its down to player pressure, crowd pressure or whatever.

But here's why you shouldn't do it....

However, I do love a bit of an Italian run-around scrap, so maybe its worth it :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

The rules clearly say dont do it so if you do its your own tough luck. I bet that team have learnt a lesson and will obey the rule in future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

If a player is injured then of course you should. It's sportsmanship. Unless of course there a strong chance the player is diving, e.g. Nani or Drogba.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,026 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

The ball should never be kicked out of play for an injury. Its the stupid rule that medical attention cannot be given unless the ball is out of play thats the problem.

The simple solution is to allow medical attention without the game having to be stopped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

I think these days it's up to the ref or the team whose player is down injured. I don't think the opposing team should be under any obligation to do so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

The ref is only obliged to stop play if it's a head injury.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

As previously mentioned - just let the medics run on whenever they want. It happens in Rugby, which I'd imagine would be far more dangerous.

Once players know that they won't stop play, they will drastically reduce this carry on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

I'm with Ush on this one. It's up to the ref to stop the game, not the players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Don't mind the ball being kicked out of play, but at the discretion of the team in possession. The clock should be also be stopped until the medics leave the pitch, to combat fakers / time-wasters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭rednik

Here's an incident from the fa cup back in 99 which in the end the game was replayed.

http://www.arseweb.com/98-99/reports/130299.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Vokes wrote: »
    Don't mind the ball being kicked out of play, but at the discretion of the team in possession. The clock should be also be stopped until the medics leave the pitch, to combat fakers / time-wasters.

Discourages time wasting, that is all well and good, but it doesn't stop players trying to break another teams momentum during a difficult period of a game.

Just allow the medics on the pitch.

Unless its an obviously serious one (which most of the players immediately around know straight away), let the game flow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

I absolutely fume when i see players kick the ball out of play. Unless a player has his a limb falling off then i think it shows a lack of a will to win by the player kicking the ball out. When teams play on, the "injured" player usually gets back up a trundles about until the ball goes out of play.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

That was hilarious, between the clown on the floor rolling about the place (seriously, these guys need to learn how to fake an injury if they're going to insist on cheating), the tidy finish and the melee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Paolo di Canio needs to have a word with that goalscorer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

That was hilarious, between the clown on the floor rolling about the place (seriously, these guys need to learn how to fake an injury if they're going to insist on cheating), the tidy finish and the melee.

I'd like to see a booking for one roll, red card for 2 and an extra match suspension for each additional one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Ebbs

amacachi wrote: »
    I'd like to see a booking for one roll, red card for 2 and an extra match suspension for each additional one.

Carlos Alberto would still be suspended from the 2003 UEFA cup final. :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,779 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

The rule to not let physios on the pitch during the game is one of the biggest problems ruining soccer in the modern era.

There would be absolutely zero faking of injuries if the play didn't stop.

It's also pretty damn obvious to differentiate between a genuine case and a sham, any non-retarded ref should be perfectly able to use their discretion effectively about when the game really needs stopping.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Its just one of the many ways football is being left behind by rugby. Absolutley no reason why the physio cant run on the pitch and treat a player while play goes on. How often do we see players fall to the ground and jump back up when the ball comes near them? Example below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzeKiEtp0m0&feature=related

I seem to remember Crespo doing something similar in a Chelsea game against Wigan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Ebbs

I get where people are comming from regarding physio comming onto the pitch, however, there is another side to kicking the ball out of play and thats fairness.

When a player goes down, genuinly, it means they're hurt. It could have been caused from a strong challenge, cramp, pulling up etc. If a physio comes on and treats them there and then they are down to 10 men due to no fault of there own. Its the same as making a player leave the pitch when he needs treatment, even if he has been fouled. Punishing a team by leaving them a man down isnt fair.

I'm not sure what the correct thing to do is tbh, but I dont think simply allowing someone onto the pitch to treat is fair. The only way I can see it ever being fair is if they start handing out very harsh punishments including whole weeks wages disappearing and suspensions for players who are taking the piss out of the rules.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,779 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Ebbs wrote: »
    I get where people are comming from regarding physio comming onto the pitch, however, there is another side to kicking the ball out of play and thats fairness.

When a player goes down, genuinly, it means they're hurt. It could have been caused from a strong challenge, cramp, pulling up etc. If a physio comes on and treats them there and then they are down to 10 men due to no fault of there own. Its the same as making a player leave the pitch when he needs treatment, even if he has been fouled. Punishing a team by leaving them a man down isnt fair.

I'm not sure what the correct thing to do is tbh, but I dont think simply allowing someone onto the pitch to treat is fair. The only way I can see it ever being fair is if they start handing out very harsh punishments including whole weeks wages disappearing and suspensions for players who are taking the piss out of the rules.

It's a physical game, players picking up knocks and needing treatment etc is all part of it.

Fairness is in no way impinged upon by some pansy deciding he needs his leg wiped with a sponge before he can play on.

The genuine injuries are trivially easy to distinguish from the phonies and the game can be stopped where appropriate.

The fact that the ball goes out of play incredibly often in soccer anyway only adds to the point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭stumpypeeps

I advocate kicking the injured player out of play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

I advocate kicking the injured player Owl out of play.

FYP

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jyA_yrD1ko

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

Only if it was a "football in the groin" injury should it be kicked out of play.

Advertisement