Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Apartment Rooftop Garden, Dublin 15

• 15-03-2011 9:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

Just wanting to gauge from your wise selves whether you think my idea to create a communally shared apartment rooftop garden would work! I live in one of the Rathborne apartment buildings in Ashtown, Dublin 15 (not fair from the Ashtown train station). I've lived in my building for six months (I moved from New Zealand), and I've just discovered that there is about a 200 sq metre rooftop patio/garden on the top floor that can be accessed by any of the residents (there are only 8 apartments in my building). It has a large long wooden trellis and a barbecue table up there already.

I just went and had a look around and I suddenly felt inspired that this could be a great place for a small rooftop garden - perhaps a communally shared thing with planter boxes for herbs/small vegetables, and a freestanding greenhouse (eg like were on sale at Lidl last week).

Is this something Irish people would go in for?? There are a couple of families in the building and I thought it might be nice for the kids too. I don't know all the residents in the building but they all seem pretty friendly/normal. Or am I completely nuts??! Rathborne seems like a nice, safe little neighbourhood (although many long-time Dubliners tell me this used to be a rough area - my building looks out onto River Road).

Any thoughts appreciated!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Nice idea, I was thinking of something similar for my apartment. I suspect most would be very enthusiastic. the logistics however could be challenging. You'd have to use raised beds of a reasonable depth to grow veg. Given that a bed of around 8ft x 4ft x 1ft is ~1ton of soil, and the number of beds you'd have up there for the 8 apartments, it's a lot of soil. It would be a bit of effort to get it onto the roof. not insurmountable of course, cranes or a bit of muscle and many trips in a lift would work, but complicated.

Get in touch with the residents committee and pitch the idea I guess. Find some examples of other apt blocks doing the same thing. Good luck !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 471 ✭✭aerosol

Great idea,You won't know till u ask.Even if you can't get a community thing going make a couple of beds or at least a few pots for yourself.Loads you can grow in containers:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Hi everyone,

Just wanting to gauge from your wise selves whether you think my idea to create a communally shared apartment rooftop garden would work! I live in one of the Rathborne apartment buildings in Ashtown, Dublin 15 (not fair from the Ashtown train station). I've lived in my building for six months (I moved from New Zealand), and I've just discovered that there is about a 200 sq metre rooftop patio/garden on the top floor that can be accessed by any of the residents (there are only 8 apartments in my building). It has a large long wooden trellis and a barbecue table up there already.

I just went and had a look around and I suddenly felt inspired that this could be a great place for a small rooftop garden - perhaps a communally shared thing with planter boxes for herbs/small vegetables, and a freestanding greenhouse (eg like were on sale at Lidl last week).

Is this something Irish people would go in for?? There are a couple of families in the building and I thought it might be nice for the kids too. I don't know all the residents in the building but they all seem pretty friendly/normal. Or am I completely nuts??! Rathborne seems like a nice, safe little neighbourhood (although many long-time Dubliners tell me this used to be a rough area - my building looks out onto River Road).

Any thoughts appreciated!!

All sounds good in principle, however needs more planning than a group of Handy Andys getting together. The concept is fine, but it is very important, that all participants are fully aware of all requirements, and that the residents and public are protected against any unfortunate risk, damage or injury. Some important aspects must be very carefully considered. First of all you'll need permission (Site Managers/Management Committee), you will also need insurance (Personal, Public and Product). You will also need to check that the roof and membrane is suitable. The logistics of getting the material up there needs to be worked out as well as once the material is up there, that it remains up there. You need to secure everything so that nothing falls over the edge or is blown off by wind etc.

Still interested? The safety (and insurance) for users/visitors especially young children must all be checked and re-checked. You will also need insurance cover against accidental damage, the last thing you want is personal accidents, somebody injuring somebody, a visitor having an accident or an overkeen worker damaging the structure? Who is going to pay insurance premiums?

Roof gardening is very exciting with lots of potential, however rooftop conditions are much more challenging and therefore risk factors which are higher (much greater than ground level) which must be very carefully considered.

Finally liability continues long after enthusiasm has waned, until all materials have been removed etc. IMO community rooftop gardening is probably too complicated to be enjoyable.

Good luck anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭smallbrowncat

Thanks for your responses!!!

There's no residents' committee at all - it would be me contacting directly the people that live in the 7 other apartments in my building.

Sonnenblumen points out some very important issues that I will need to consider.

I think my plan of attack for now is going to be:
    - find examples of other apartment rooftop gardens in Dublin (any suggestions)??
    - suggest the residents come round for a drink/cuppa at my place one evening to discuss and gauge interest
    - if people are keen, discuss with the management company....

• Registered Users Posts: 23 NBW

also need to know if the roof can structurally support this

Here is a link I came across before that may be of interest.
    http://www.dublincity.ie/WaterWasteEnvironment/WasteWater/Documents/DCC%20Green%20Roof%20Draft%20Guidelines%20(Sept%202008).pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 290 ✭✭Antiquo

I think my plan of attack for now is going to be:
    - find examples of other apartment rooftop gardens in Dublin (any suggestions)??
    - suggest the residents come round for a drink/cuppa at my place one evening to discuss and gauge interest
    - if people are keen, discuss with the management company....

It's a good idea not without its problems but as the wise man said;

"The person who is saying it can't be done should not disturb the other person while he is busy doing it" :)

You need the buy in of the other residents but also of the Council and Mgmnt Co. Then you will need a project plan proposal generated by engineers, architects and legal assist. I would (if you get resident buy in) place an ad on boards for assistance (free of course) by qualified personnel many of whom are currently posting and visiting boards.ie while they await a job or visa..

The logistics can be a good advertising opportunity for crane hire co, etc..

Good Luck

could be a franchise here ;)

NBW wrote: »
    also need to know if the roof can structurally support this

Here is a link I came across before that may be of interest.
    http://www.dublincity.ie/WaterWasteEnvironment/WasteWater/Documents/DCC%20Green%20Roof%20Draft%20Guidelines%20(Sept%202008).pdf

perfect good link

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭gavsmith

Just wondering how you got on? Great idea!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Zuiderzee

I think this is a really good idea. There is a company working in the Dublin area patchworkveg.com who I know via shared interests on facebook who can create the raised beds for you and provide the soil etc.
    They have done several projects for schools etc, so may be able to advise.

With 8 apartments I pretty sure those interested in such a project could divvy up the initial outlay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 woodsgardening

Did it work out??

Advertisement