Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are steamed veggies ok to eat the next day?

Options
  • 15-03-2011 10:09am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭

My mother left some steamed broccoli for me last night but I didn't end up eating it so it's in the fridge.

What is day old steamed veg like? Only one way to find out, I guess! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭nompere

It's not going to do you any harm - I've eaten day old broccoli myself and I'm still here - but it's one of the vegetables that least benefits from being reheated. It'll probably be seriously soggy and quite unpleasant. I usually throw it away.

I suppose you could use it in a bubble and squeak when it would be marginally more interesting, or stir fry it with some garlic and ginger, but both of those dishes would be infinitely better made with some fresh broccoli rather than the tired stuff in your fridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Steamed veg are grand to eat the next day. I eat day old broccoli cold, it's nice and crunchy, but with any other veg I'd reheat it, carrots, etc, because they survive reheating, as mentioned broccoli goes mushy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

You could try making a salad dressing or a thai dressing to liven it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭diddlybit

You could try gratinating them with a bechamel sauce and cheese. Or rustle up a soup with some additional veggies. No-one will notice if they're soggy if you blitz them all up.

Advertisement