Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Martial arts Clubs Near Swords.

• 15-03-2011 10:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Hi guys,

Have just moved to swords in north county dublin and was wondering if anyone could recommend a martial arts club around that area.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭MaeveD

We're not too far away, just off the M50/M1 www.defendu.ie... Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, MMA, Boxing, Kickboxing, Aikido, Kettlebells, Astanga Yoga, Circuit Training and Junior BJJ to choose from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 antobren

Thanks for reply, would be really interested in the Aikido and Bjj. Does there be any morning classes as i do a evening shift at work every second week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭MaeveD

Morning classes on Saturday for Aikido and BJJ, 2 hour open mat Tues and Fri 12-2pm.

Thats great, thanks a lot for your help

There's a place beside the Wright Venue whose name escapes me. Also Team Ryano isn't too far away.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

best martial arts training in swords

http://www.xtremefitnessireland.ie/

Thanks sid. Do you train there yourself? IS it all geared towards competiton fighting or more traditional?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Doug Cartel

best martial arts training in swords

http://www.xtremefitnessireland.ie/
    Nice non-biassed review there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Doug Cartel

antobren wrote: »
    Thanks sid. Do you train there yourself? IS it all geared towards competiton fighting or more traditional?
    Sid will correct me if I'm wrong, but it's a place where they have several styles teaching out of one facility, so you get a choice of if you want to do competition or traditional stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

I used to, no longer. Every opinion is biased but I think mine is honest and accurate.

The club as doug says offers both types, BJJ is quite traditional but MMA much less so. There are some other martial arts you might like.

There are other martial arts in Swords but I don't know any details.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭King of Kings

chinese boxing school:

Old Borough School Swords, Tuesday 6.30-8pm.
    Image Health Gym, Castle Shopping Center, Swords, Saturday 10.30-12 Noon.

Its a fiver a class.

their page on FB is:
    http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/profile.php?id=100000944094970

I'd recommend this one a lot - depends what you are into though.

Thanks for reply king. Is the club geared more toward competition or traditional.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭King of Kings

you can do both - some lads have done the shashou - but it's a mix of traditional with fitness and combat stuff
    If you go on the FB page there are sample videos and photos.

what type of training are you after? I could advise on other places in the area (but not recommend as I'd have no experience with them)

Have done some wado ryu karate and Aikido and although I enjoyed them, now that have moved to dublin would like to try something different. Am interested in wing chun.
    The Chinese boxing looks very good. Just looking for a good traditional martial arts with a more direct and practical philosophy but at the same time not just street brawilng or sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭OldBloke

Theres also a Kyokushin Karate club in Fingallians on Thursday nights - wont fit in with your schedule but just in case you are interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Just a bus away, www.rushfightacademy.ie

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

cowzerp wrote: »
    Just a bus away, www.rushfightacademy.ie

Its gas for a club I regularly train with I never think of you as a bus ride from Swords - probably because I haven't been on a bus in about ten years!.

OP here's a club I'd highly recommend you check out.. I always leave Paul having learned something useful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Zen65

antobren wrote: »
    Have just moved to swords in north county dublin and was wondering if anyone could recommend a martial arts club around that area.

I haven't trained at this club, but I know the instructor to be a decent guy and very much into the traditional karate stuff. I'm not sure if they do much competition-wise.

Cheers,

Z

Advertisement