Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anyone used thermal paint for a mould problem

• 15-03-2011 10:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭

Hi all,

Got a bit of a mould problem. I've used disposable dehumidifiers which do help with the mouldy smell & mould on clothes. But now I want to try and stop it a source. Plasterboard & insulation is'nt an option. I am wondering has anybody used thermal paint as a way of preventing mould or at least helping with the problem.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Buck

I've heard that a product called 'Bullseye' is very good for this sort of thing. Although I've never used it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Thermal paint is useless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

You can buy mould killer in spray form, I've used it before and found it very effective. You spray it on, clean off the bulk of the mould repeat, then the last spray I allowed to dry. I then repainted the area and three years later it has not returned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,808 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Do you have enough ventilation to the outside?

If you are buying thermal paint, ask for a certificate from a reputable testing organization stating its insulating properties. This would be the proof that thermal paint works. You might have difficulty obtaining this, but do not buy the paint without it.

Even if thermal paint did provide meaningful insulation, it would not solve your mould problem. How is the ventilation?

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭JR79

Thanks for the replys.
    The ventilation in the rooms are fine, 100mm pipe with a cover, I even cleaned them out a few months ago. Has anyone ever used this product of something like it? "zinsser mould and mildew paint"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,808 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

The bullseye product mentioned above is from the same manufacturer. It is a good manufacturer. However it will not resolve a serious mould problem. You should consult the data sheet.

Is there a lot of condensation? Is there a fan?

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭JR79

Theres no fan. Quite a bit of condensation on the windows alright, their mouldly as well

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Thermal paint is useless.

I disagree here.

It is good......
    ...........At emptying your wallet of alot or money if you buy it from Woodies DIY.:pac::mad:

That aside,it is CRAP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

paddy147 wrote: »
    I disagree here.

It is good......
    ...........At emptying your wallet of alot or money if you buy it from Woodies DIY.:pac::mad:

That aside,it is CRAP.

At last: a man who says what is says on the tin

Carlow52 wrote: »

I could say alot more,but its before 9pm and the watershed.;):pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 336 ✭✭CBYR1983

I disagree here.

It is good......

That aside,it is CRAP.

In fairness, a tub of zinsser anti mould paint isn't much cheaper than that warmcoat stuff, surprisingly.

Pain in the backside to dry line all the same, the purely cosmetic solution will always tempt, so the stuff will sell.

Carlow52 wrote: »

Someone must be robbing it from Woodies,because today in Woodies the tins of this Warmcoat stuff are all locked together and locked down to the shelving unit,with a lock and alarmed security wire rope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Someone must be robbing it from Woodies,because today in Woodies the tins of this Warmcoat stuff are all locked together and locked down to the shelving unit,with a lock and alarmed security wire rope.

Tut tut, I'm surprised at you paddy. A post with no photo? What were you thinking?????:D

Tut tut, I'm surprised at you paddy. A post with no photo? What were you thinking?????:D

I know,Im letting the side down without a photo.:pac::pac::D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

JR79 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Got a bit of a mould problem. I've used disposable dehumidifiers which do help with the mouldy smell & mould on clothes. But now I want to try and stop it a source. Plasterboard & insulation is'nt an option. I am wondering has anybody used thermal paint as a way of preventing mould or at least helping with the problem.

Thanks

Mould on walls, ceiling and cloths means the air inside has too much moisture in it and that it is not being dispelled properly. The mositure inside can come from:
    1. The building (dampness, leaking, broken pipe, etc.,)
    2. Condensation (not enough insulation, poor building standards, etc.,)
    3. Occupants (washing, cooking, people themselves, pets, etc.,)
    or most likely from a mixture of all the above.

If it's just a condensation or occupants problem it will be seasonal and can be remedied by a balance of good constant heat and ventilation, ectractor on the cooker hood, mechanical ventilation in the bathrooms, open bedroom windows in the mornings, never use a cloths drier inside without the hose vented directly to the outside, etc.

If it is the building or it has to be remedied at source and this can only be done by finding the damp or leak problem and fixing it.

Paint, no matter how good, will not fix any of the above problems. To get mould off furniture, ceilings or walls you need to wash them in vinegar a couple of times to get rid of the mould and any cosmetic work can be done afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 belfastgreen

Do you blame people from robbing it off the shelves , Woodies are robbing the people ....have you seen how much it is :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

They're getting a bit of their own medicine :D:D:D

UK based companies are cheaper less than half the price...........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭yenoah

Spray mould with White Vinegar. To be a bit more precise, wash the areas forst with warm slightly soapy water, wipe, allow to dry then spray with Wite Vinegar. That's it, all you need here is a little knowledge, nothing else.

Advertisement