Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"wireless" modem not working... wirelessly!

Options
  • 15-03-2011 11:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭

i got Eircom BB and Phone installed a couple of months ago and was never able to connect to the modem wirelessly. I rang customer service a number of times and after being passed off with "it must be your laptop" excuses and being made feel like a complete idiot i eventually got speaking with someone who agreed to send a new modem.... which still didnt work so i gave up on that and just got a few patch cables to connect directly to the modem.

now, out of interest... i'm wondering why i could never and still cant connect to the modem wirelessly and it always needs to be plugged into the laptop or PS3 to connect.
    All the lights on the modem are fine. Sometimes if i turn off the modem or reset it the wireless signal can be picked up on the laptop but dies off soon after. I just find it very strange... is there something in my area or house that is throwing off the signal?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

steve22 wrote: »
    i got Eircom BB and Phone installed a couple of months ago and was never able to connect to the modem wirelessly. I rang customer service a number of times and after being passed off with "it must be your laptop" excuses and being made feel like a complete idiot i eventually got speaking with someone who agreed to send a new modem.... which still didnt work so i gave up on that and just got a few patch cables to connect directly to the modem.

now, out of interest... i'm wondering why i could never and still cant connect to the modem wirelessly and it always needs to be plugged into the laptop or PS3 to connect.
    All the lights on the modem are fine. Sometimes if i turn off the modem or reset it the wireless signal can be picked up on the laptop but dies off soon after. I just find it very strange... is there something in my area or house that is throwing off the signal?

Hi steve22,

I apologise for the service you have received to date.

What did support beleive the problem was?

Here is a link to a wireless set up online support steps - http://bit.ly/h4csUe

If you want to try that first direcly. If that does not help resolve the issue. PM me your details and I will escalate it.

Thanks, Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭steve22

Hi Mark, Thanks for your reply.

Support never really gave me any idea what could be causing the problem... the last time I spoke with someone they just sent me a new modem and when the problem was the same I gave up trying - it works fine when connected with the patch cable its just I originally decided to get it because of the wireless connection...

A brief history is as follows:
    When I received the set up package I connected everything according to the instructions... but there was no life in the modem apart from the power light. Everything else was off. I rang customer support and explained the situation - and get this - when I was asked did I use the wireless installation CD I said YES... and the person on the phone told me I wasn’t supposed to use that..... Either that was the wrong information or why is it enclosed in the set up pack if it’s not to be used?? Strange? That particular person was highly unhelpful and very condescending... the only pity is I never took HER name!

Eventually a technician called out and discovered the line was faulty and connected a new one - all lights were now on and I thought that was the end of it...

So... I called back a good few times. I got suggestions such as try my laptop in another house with eircom bb (and it worked there) - try someone elses laptop in my house (which didn’t work).... reset the modem etc.
    After resetting the modem it would connect wirelessly for a little while, and then when I shut off and tried again later it wouldn’t find the signal... I presume it’s not the case that you have to rest the whole thing each time you want to connect to the internet??

Anyway, that’s the story (in brief!!) - The only reason I posted here was to get opinions on what could be causing this. I’ve tried everything I was told to do but nothing seems to work. Could other wireless devices be messing with the modem signal?

I'm not sure if I want the case escalated because I don’t really want more technician bills through the door!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Could be something like the option to broadcast the SSID is activated and the laptop cannot find your wireless signal.

how would i know if its activated and should it be deactivated or what?
    I thought that having the modem connected to the laptop directly through the patch cable would mean it would pick up the necessary codes and id's?

I thought that having the modem connected to the laptop directly through the patch cable would mean it would pick up the necessary codes and id's?

Hi steve22,

Can you PM me with your telephone number so I can at least investigate it in a bit more detail.

Thanks, Mark

• Advertisement

PM sent - let me know how you get on.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

In most modem/routers there is often a setting saying "Do Not Broadcast wireless SSID" or "Hide wireless network"

Make sure the checkbox is not ticked so that the wireless network is hidden.

Usually found in the wireless setup wizard or manual setup area of the modem/router.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kopfan77

I had the same problem and the same as you I ended up with a new modem being sent out as well and still didnt resolve the issue....I was cracking up!! The problem was so simple and stupid it was almost embarrassing.....we have a transmitter connected to our tv in the living room and it transmits wirelessly to a receiver in our bedroom so we can watch the tv in there and change the channels on the sky box etc. Turns out the wireless signal from this was completely blocking the wireless signal from the modem. As soon as we switched off the tv transmitter, bang, up came the wireless connection on the laptop. Other wireless transmitters such as baby monitors etc will also interfere.

old_aussie wrote: »
    In most modem/routers there is often a setting saying "Do Not Broadcast wireless SSID" or "Hide wireless network"

Make sure the checkbox is not ticked so that the wireless network is hidden.

Usually found in the wireless setup wizard or manual setup area of the modem/router.

I'll have a look at that later thanks - the confusing part of the whole thing is why the network appears visable for a little while after i switch off/on the power on the modem... and then connection dies off slowly afterwards!!

kopfan77 wrote: »
    I had the same problem and the same as you I ended up with a new modem being sent out as well and still didnt resolve the issue....I was cracking up!! The problem was so simple and stupid it was almost embarrassing.....we have a transmitter connected to our tv in the living room and it transmits wirelessly to a receiver in our bedroom so we can watch the tv in there and change the channels on the sky box etc. Turns out the wireless signal from this was completely blocking the wireless signal from the modem. As soon as we switched off the tv transmitter, bang, up came the wireless connection on the laptop. Other wireless transmitters such as baby monitors etc will also interfere.

interesting! we have baby monitors alright but i also tried to turn these off and get some connection but still nothing. I wonder is it the phonewatch alarm causing problems seeing as thats wireless too even though it wouldnt be armed its probably still sending signals!!

I'll have a look at that later thanks - the confusing part of the whole thing is why the network appears visable for a little while after i switch off/on the power on the modem... and then connection dies off slowly afterwards!!

interesting! we have baby monitors alright but i also tried to turn these off and get some connection but still nothing. I wonder is it the phonewatch alarm causing problems seeing as thats wireless too even though it wouldnt be armed its probably still sending signals!!

Hi steve22,

Thanks for sending on the details, if I don't get back with an update by Friday it will be early next week.

Thanks, Mark

• Advertisement

Hi steve22,

Thanks for sending on the details, if I don't get back with an update by Friday it will be early.

Thanks, Mark

thats fine Mark

Thanks

quick update : I got a call from Anthony (i think he said his name was) today regarding this problem - First off I just want to say its great to speak to someone whos patient and polite for a change and obviously it was bad luck who i got speaking with the last couple of times i called who almost put me off dealing with Customer Services again!!

Anyway, I'm afraid the problem is still there. When i was speaking with Anthony earlier it seemed to be sorted eventually. The laptop connected to the modem wirelessly and seemed to be operating correctly. I logged on again later in the day and it was still working... happy days.... i thought!
    Now its back to normal again - no wireless signal to the laptop so its patch cable again... either that or reset and reconnect the internet modem each time i want to use it but thats not going to happen!!

Oh well - new modem it is so.............

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Given that the wireless worked fine at one stage I wonder if something is being turned on that is interfering with your signal?

Have you tried netstumbler to see if there are any networks around broadcasting on the same channel?

http://www.netstumbler.com/downloads/

dub45 wrote: »
    Given that the wireless worked fine at one stage I wonder if something is being turned on that is interfering with your signal?

Have you tried netstumbler to see if there are any networks around broadcasting on the same channel?

http://www.netstumbler.com/downloads/

thats what has me confused to be honest. I dont understand why it would be working right after being reset but after and hour or two its gone.
    maybe like you say, theres something interfering with the signal.

I'll try netstumbler later and see what it brings up thanks.
    Does it show all wireless devices or just other internet connectiongs that are broadcasting in the area?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 trax2011

howdy all very interested in this as im having problems with me eircom wireless router aswell.
    i was havin problems for a few days internet there for a bit then gone. talked with customer service which advised getting a new router. got the new router yesterday. now two laptops in my house myself and my fathers. im running vista and my father has windows 7. now his connects to the new router no bother yet mine connects then a few minutes later disconnects and almost immeadiately reconnects for a few minutes then the same again. other than that sometimes my laptop wont connect to the router at all even though the signal is there. login and password all correct but just wont connect. any suggestions......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

trax2011 wrote: »
    howdy all very interested in this as im having problems with me eircom wireless router aswell.
    i was havin problems for a few days internet there for a bit then gone. talked with customer service which advised getting a new router. got the new router yesterday. now two laptops in my house myself and my fathers. im running vista and my father has windows 7. now his connects to the new router no bother yet mine connects then a few minutes later disconnects and almost immeadiately reconnects for a few minutes then the same again. other than that sometimes my laptop wont connect to the router at all even though the signal is there. login and password all correct but just wont connect. any suggestions......

Hi trax2011,

Many thanks for the query on wireless signal /connection issues.

There are a few suggestions which might be helpful on our Support Forum website, below : -

How to Improve Your Wireless

You might also try changing your wireless encryption type to Wep or WPA.

www.eircom.net/tutorials - Changing Wep to WPA (/or vice versa).

You can also try changing the wireless channels on the modem or on your laptop. The link above will advise how to do this on the modem.

If still having the same problem after testing wireless channels, try the above again, but first hard-reset the router and wait a few minutes before you make changes.

There's a wider discussion on various support sites online, which may also be helpful; including mac filtering /or updating your laptop's wireless adaptor, etc.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=2056071626

Let me know if I can help you further.

All the best,

Ant

cheers Ant if it works i will be able to let ya know dis evenin. if not then 2morrow as im at work now so gotta wait to get home.

cheers Ant if it works i will be able to let ya know dis evenin. if not then 2morrow as im at work now so gotta wait to get home.

Cool,, keep me posted.
    Any help I can lend, let me know.

Regards
    Ant

Cool,, keep me posted.
    Any help I can lend, let me know.

Regards
    Ant

"wireless channels on the modem or on your laptop."
    now i understand that you can change the channel on a router but first im hearing of changing the channel on the computer!!!!!!

"wireless channels on the modem or on your laptop."
    now i understand that you can change the channel on a router but first im hearing of changing the channel on the computer!!!!!!

Hi again,

Yes, it's probably best to change wireless channels on the laptop rather than the modem. Though you would need to check this with your laptop manufacturer first.

Changing the wireless setup on a laptop usually offers more wireless options (+ channels) and may also help improve wireless signal strength. That said, it is generally more difficult to change the channels on the laptop - as you need to go into the wireless adaptor properties /setup.

Most users will usually try to change the channels on their modem first, as it appears much easier. Changing the wireless channel on a handset or baby monitors (usually offers around 4 - 6 channels), where as the laptop will generally offer alot more flexibility.

Obviously if you want to to change your wireless setup on your laptop, it would be best to check with the individual laptop manufacturer first. There's also probably information on this Online.

10 Tips for improving wireless

Let me know how you get on,

Cheers
    Ant

• Advertisement
Advertisement