Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rocksmith

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

So started on thursday played around 3-4 hours that night started to get to grips with it, then played the duck mini games really good to get you moving around the neck. Played an hour or so friday night could play radio head high and dry, only 4 cords and the timing was a bit off but you could start to make out a song in there. Did another hour tonight and played pixies where is my mind pretty well. Only gettin about 40% of the available score and I know its not giving me all the notes but it is still great when you play an actual section of the song correctly and it sounds like the real thing.

Pretty amazing going for 6 hours practice, I could not play a song away from the game but I do now have 4 or 5 riffs that I can play on my own.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Nockz

That's pretty awesome to hear. I'm such a junkie for gamification of these things. Totally wish there was a game like Rocksmith that focused on piano/keyboards. I need to run through Rock Band 3's keys tutorial some more but a system like this just makes me so happy.

For those that have played it, when you're playing a song, is the guitar sound you hear just a preset RS one to suit the song and if so, can you possibly use the guitar sounds you used in the Amp Mode instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Nockz wrote: »
    That's pretty awesome to hear. I'm such a junkie for gamification of these things. Totally wish there was a game like Rocksmith that focused on piano/keyboards. I need to run through Rock Band 3's keys tutorial some more but a system like this just makes me so happy.

For those that have played it, when you're playing a song, is the guitar sound you hear just a preset RS one to suit the song and if so, can you possibly use the guitar sounds you used in the Amp Mode instead?

You hear what you play. So if you go into AMP mode and add a distortion pedal or delay pedal that's what you hear when you play.

In AMP mode you map pedals to the controller sq, O, triangle button. So you can even change it up mid song. If you get to a section that you want to rock out a bit in just hit the button and then it adds that pedal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

The Game is hard.
    I'm more of an acousitc guitar - chords man as opposed to tabs and single notes.

I was confused for the first 2 hours or so as the fret and strings were inverted as opposed to how you'd see them on tabs on the net (there is an option to invert them) - so that made it easier for me.

Had a tough time also getting to grips with colours and where the notes were gonna hit on my guitar...as in which fret I was to play.
    Seeing a Blue/Orange on 5/7 ....just takes too much time for my brain to get before the note hits...this will probably come in time.

I was able to knock out House of the rising sun and paint it black on chords first time and unlock pedals to use.

The game is good, hard but good, but also the selection of songs aren't one I'm too in love with. I can see myself not playin after 2 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Does anyone know if you must buy the cable for playing this on PC? I'm able to hook up my guitar to my PC as it stands, so am hoping to not have to fork out for an extra cable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

humanji wrote: »
    Does anyone know if you must buy the cable for playing this on PC? I'm able to hook up my guitar to my PC as it stands, so am hoping to not have to fork out for an extra cable.

Depends on the game / cable I guess, the game uses a form of analogue to digital conversion as opposed to the midi that Rock band 3 uses.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

Pretty sure that you need the rocksmith cable - it is UBIsofts DRM for the game. It is the same cable for PS3 and Xbox though, so you may be able to pick one up second hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

Does anyone know where I can pick up just the cable? Bought the game on steam and need to find a cable. Tesco and argos don't stock it. Havent gotten a chance to check out gamestop, hmv or smyths yet.

Limericks wrote: »
    Does anyone know where I can pick up just the cable? Bought the game on steam and need to find a cable. Tesco and argos don't stock it. Havent gotten a chance to check out gamestop, hmv or smyths yet.

Gamestop have them , €29.97 on their site http://gamestop.ie/Other%20Products/Games/11543/rocksmith-real-tone-cable?previousUrl=http%3A%2F%2Fgamestop.ie%2FSearchResult%2FQuickSearch%3Fq%3Drocksmith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

calex71 wrote: »

Had it in gamestop today thanks :) 30 euro. game is well worth the money!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

Worth checking out xtravision as well. Cable was sold out in local gamestop ,so on the off chance, I had a gander in the local xtravision. Picked it up for 30 quid. Been playing guitar on and off for about 20 years now but the game is still fun. Taking abit of time to get used to the way the notes come up and the colour coding but doesn't seem too hard to get the hang of.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Got this for £29.99 in the Black Friday deals on amazon last week. Arrived today. I had a small problem though I have no electric guitar, just an acoustic, so I bought a seriously cheap pick up on amazon, was like £3, I clips onto the top of the guitar and a female/female quarter inch jack on eBay and it actually works quite well, I may still pick up a cheap electric guitar as it isn't perfect and I would like to play in silence, but works really well if you just want to try out the game before landing out on an electric guitar.

Ax for the game it's fun, I don't like the music at all tbh, not my style, but I just want to get used playing a guitar, I have been learning on and off for the last few years and lately it's been more l off. I would be a much bigger acoustic fan anyway. Just wish there were a couple of songs I actually liked!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

another novice here, most I could play before picking this up was the opening to nothing else matters :pac:

Went at it on Saturday when I got it as a xmas pressie, played for about 6/7 hours.

Have a chunk of Satisfaction down, just have to get the timing and used to putting my fingers on the right fret and build up the callouses on my fingers.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,195 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Dusted off a cheap electric guitar I bought for my bro 10 years ago he never used, Been rocking out all morning, fingers are about to fall off..
    Games were starting to bore me senseless, delighted with this Santa present..:)

Anyone else get the game, how you getting on with it? Any finger toughening tips?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

that sounds awesome,does it work with bass guitars too?I've two of them lying around

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

that sounds awesome,does it work with bass guitars too?I've two of them lying around

They released a DLC update a while ago for Bass too (free IIRC)
    One thing about it is youre much better off using an external sound system to play the game. Going directly through the tv can cause an annoying lag

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

Got it a short while ago and have been loving it, I'm using my housemates guitar so can't play it while I'm at home home.
    Hadn't really played before so my fingers were killing me too. I found the 1st fret the worst, Pumped up kicks was a sore song in particular!

I think you just have to keep at it and your fingers will toughen up (and get callouses!) If I found then getting particularly sore I'd try move onto a different song.
    Think I'm on the third event now but I've been messing around trying other songs of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Moved to the GH/RB forum (there is an active Rocksmith thread there already) .... :o

Merged with existing thread :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

Got the game for Christmas. First impressions are good, the in-game interface is very intuitive. I thought the learning curve would be steeper, but I was having fun pretty much straight away. The adaptive difficulty works quite well. Favourite song to play at the moment is The Cure's 'Boys Don't Cry'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

I'm finding it hard to warm to. I'm a beginner guitarist and I'm struggling with the fact that they start adding in notes as you play through a song. I would prefer if it gave you all the notes and changed the speed you play at ie speeding up as you get more proficient.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Question about the bass DLC; does it guide you up like it does for the normal guitar? Prefer the bass sound, so going to get this, and invest in a bass later on this year, but want to make sure that it'll teach me how to play the bass from complete noob to able to play songs before i buy it.

Also, Amazon sell it for £32 (about €38) for the PC (and includes the cable), but wondering would it be cheaper to buy it in Ireland, and if so, where?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Considering the cable on it's own is going for about €30 in Gamestop (and HMV before they closed their doors) I doubt you'll get both for €38 in a bricks and mortar shop over here. Not new anyway, and since it's steam activated it's f-all use to you 2nd hand

the_syco wrote: »
    Also, Amazon sell it for £32 (about €38) for the PC (and includes the cable), but wondering would it be cheaper to buy it in Ireland, and if so, where?
    There seems some sort of random sale on at the moment. Price is back to £45 (€53), but still cheaper than Gamestop, and this includes the bass version. Also, I don't think the Gamestop version includes the cable.

=-=

What bricks & mortar shops are still around that sell PC games? And other online stores that sell (physical) PC games?

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭dewsbury

I am thinking of buying Rocksmith for my son.
    PC Version.

However, my 2 year old laptop appears not to be fully up to spec.
    The laptop is a good would but the graphics may be a show stopped.

I discovered this limitation by checking my PC on a website which knows what any software requires.

QUESTION: Would I be wasting my time buying Rocksmith. (Perhaps, the website was being overly cautious when it indicated my PC was not up to spec??).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

There is not a huge amount going on graphically to be honest, and you can always turn down the graphics settings.

Thanks fenris,

I might just take a risk and buy it.

The shop will not accept it back if it does not work.
    However, it could be a great way to encourage my 10 year old to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

I can't check but I heard there was a Demo availble on steam, so you could try it out. However, without the cable I dunno how much you'll get to try.

Banjo wrote: »
    I can't check but I heard there was a Demo availble on steam, so you could try it out. However, without the cable I dunno how much you'll get to try.
    Link to it; http://store.steampowered.com/app/210190/

Not sure if you could do much without the cable, but tbh, if you do buy the cable separately, don't bother buying the game until the next Steam sale (they do one every few months) so that you'd get it cheaper.
    dewsbury wrote: »
    QUESTION: Would I be wasting my time buying Rocksmith. (Perhaps, the website was being overly cautious when it indicated my PC was not up to spec??).
    Min specs (from the above link);
    Processor:2.0 GHz Intel® Core™2 Duo E4400 or 2.0 GHz AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 3800+
    Memory:2 GB RAM
    Graphics:256 MB DirectX 9 / NVIDIA® GeForce® 8600 GT or ATI Radeon™ HD 2600 XT

So tell us the make, model and the graphics card, and someone here will be able to tell ye.

• Advertisement

Thanks for help.

I just used ;
    http://www.systemrequirementslab.com which checks if my laptop is up to the job.

I got a failure !
    See attached report.

Any thoughts?

Thanks again.

Advertisement