Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stargate Universe S02E12 Twin Destinies ***Spoilers***

Options
  • 15-03-2011 11:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭

destinies.png

Summary: Eli suggests that he's found a way to dial the Stargate home to Earth, stirring excitement amongst the crew. But Rush has reservations about the plan.

What did you think of Stargate Universe S02E12 Twin Destinies? 37 votes

Destined to win
    0%
    Goa'uld
    45%
    Richard DowersiodaTonyD795starpoolphill106Conor108MagicMarkerManchoTheKellsAka IshurAntar BolaeiskFunnyStuff-Trek-Anita Blowconor.hogan.2off.the.wallsDwaegon 17 votes
    McKay
    40%
    YakuzaD-GenerateastrofoolPeaceDiddy KongOmegaRedThe GnomeTheIrishGroversmellslikeshoesjohnnysmackneilk32don ramoGSPfanCook my sockElohim 15 votes
    Rushed
    10%
    LoGiERedisleFreudianSlippersRolandIRL 4 votes
    Cancelled. Indeed.
    2%
    Mahatma coat 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

McKay
    Quite liked that, I know the whole plot of the episode was clichéd as hell but it was one of the better episodes imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Rushed
    It was ok. I didn't like how at first it was typical SG:U fashion of "tell the story rather than show the story", but the end was pretty good.

A slightly pointless episode, and really lazy writing to just suddenly have a way of magically fixing Destiny so they mission could continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Goa'uld
    It was ok. I didn't like how at first it was typical SG:U fashion of "tell the story rather than show the story", but the end was pretty good.

A slightly pointless episode, and really lazy writing to just suddenly have a way of magically fixing Destiny so they mission could continue.

Unless Rush really did cause the temporal distortion to provide spare parts and it wasn't just a freak accident.

I thought it was quite good if a bit long winded at the end. Also they should have kept two of Rush for a bit a la Farscape rather than conveniently killing the two of them off.

Finally, what was that device they used for teleporting between the ships, not sure I've seen that before :p

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Rushed
    Unless Rush really did cause the temporal distortion to provide spare parts and it wasn't just a freak accident.

I thought it was quite good if a bit long winded at the end. Also they should have kept two of Rush for a bit a la Farscape rather than conveniently killing the two of them off.

Finally, what was that device they used for teleporting between the ships, not sure I've seen that before :p
    Ah yes, I believe that's something called a "stargate" - very infrequently used on this show I hear :P

I also note that the ships vagina managed to not have sex with anyone this episode and was actually slightly useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,387 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

It was ok. I didn't like how at first it was typical SG:U fashion of "tell the story rather than show the story"
    As far as TV goes I agree that model sucks. But I'm used to reading sci-fi anyway.

Havent watched this, im boycotting the network :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

Rushed
    It was ok. When they mentioned the mysterious shuttle repair during the recap I half expected those unknown aliens to turn up and fix the ship! I really wish they had explored the ship more during the series, they didn't really go into detail on any new technologies at all :\

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Goa'uld
    I actually really enjoyed that ep. - entertaining, and wow!...i've been positive about two episodes in a row!!, hey...maybe i'm not trolling and winding people up?, lovely jab at McKay and checking out Lt. Boobs....boobs.

Yeah it was an easy way to get spare parts, it didn't advance the story forward that much, but an enjoyable ep. none the less.

ps. - who's the ships vagina?....Chloe?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

Overheal wrote: »
    Havent watched this, im boycotting the network :p

But where oh where will you get a fix of made for tv movies begining with "mega" or "super" now????!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 82,387 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

hightower1 wrote: »
    But where oh where will you get a fix of made for tv movies begining with "mega" or "super" now????!!!!!
    I will just have to live without Sharktopus and Dinocroc vs. Supergator and Megapython vs. Gatoroid

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Goa'uld
    That was great! Double helping of Rush, mention of McKay AND time travel. Hands down, best part was

Rush 2: I gave you a number after we dropped out of FTL....10 plus 2.
    Volker:........12
    Rush 1: Thats well calculated Mr. Volker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

McKay
    ps. - who's the ships vagina?....Chloe?

is that a serious question mr dower

has chloe slept with half the ship, there obviously on about
    dr park
    ;):p

anyway a fairly run of the mill episode, and another shuttle, so now they have 2 spanking new shuttles, isnt that handy, seriously why go to all that trouble to get two shuttles back, when you have a ****ing stargate inside the ship, the show isnt called shuttle universe,

damn

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭off.the.walls

Goa'uld
    This was a good episode really teasing plot line to it... like did rush do it so they could keep the ship running or was that just a chance?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Can someone tell me how there are
    2 Telfords?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

McKay
    Can someone tell me how there are
    2 Telfords?
    cause teford went trough the gate on the damaged destiny, that actually happened, and the rest of crew never got through the gate, so they werent there, and they wernt on the damaged destiny, so rush seems to have been telling the truth,

its seems like a rather odd concept of time travel, but thats the only way i can make it out, they seemed to have overlooked the fact that since rush warned them not to do it, then theoretically telford would never have gone through,

great thing about time travel you can apply your own rules ;):D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Goa'uld
    "I’d say the biggest problem with SGU had to do with the characters and was three-fold: 1. they were all unlikeable; 2. they weren’t interesting; 3. they were unrealistic (especially the military characters). Rush had potential, but they spent too much time trying to turn him into a Zachary Smith type. More time was wasted on Young’s evolution into a combination of the worst traits of Captains Ahab and Bligh. Most of the rest was sucked up by Chloe weepily banging whomever each week and Eli angsting over that whomever not being him. I also think they lost a lot of goodwill with all the leering sexist crap early on, like Chloe in the shower and the prurient camera angles on Lieutenant Huge Tits.

I think it all boils down to the makers of a space opera franchise trying to do a darker version of their verse when they didn’t have a clue how to do dark. Taking the Golgafrinchans Arthur and Ford run into near the end of “The Restaurant at the End of the Universe” and making them the protagonists of a “Lost in Space” show probably sounded a lot better on paper after the writers’ hashish brownies binge than it did in the final product on screen."

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Goa'uld
    don ramo wrote: »
    cause teford went trough the gate on the damaged destiny, that actually happened, and the rest of crew never got through the gate, so they werent there, and they wernt on the damaged destiny, so rush seems to have been telling the truth,

its seems like a rather odd concept of time travel, but thats the only way i can make it out, they seemed to have overlooked the fact that since rush warned them not to do it, then theoretically telford would never have gone through,

I am mega confused about what happened.

I assumed that as Destiny entered the star, something happened and it got sent back 12 hours in time. Telford went through the gate and the rest never made it because the wormhole was doing its flashy unstable thing. Then 12 hours later Destiny came out of FTL and found the original Rush & damaged Destiny.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,812 ✭✭✭phill106

Goa'uld
    don ramo wrote: »

I was trying to work that out, if rush went back in time, and told them not to do it, obviously it didnt happen then. Why was he still there then? and why was damaged destiny still there then? It's time travel, not rocket science :P

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭TheKells

Goa'uld
    Judging from previous episodes should it not only have been Telford that got sent back in time? They mentioned it was a solar flare that went off at same time as the wormhole, so fair enough we know that they send the wormhole through time, but why would that affect the destiny?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,610 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

McKay
    Rush says something like "but instead of just affecting the wormhole, somehow Destiny got sent back in time" (paraphrased), so they do mention it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

phill106 wrote: »
    I was trying to work that out, if rush went back in time, and told them not to do it, obviously it didnt happen then. Why was he still there then? and why was damaged destiny still there then? It's time travel, not rocket science :P

Its a fundemental law of physics that if time travel is possible it allows information to appear from thin air. For example if you write a book, build a time machine then deliver the book to yourself - from your point of view the book has just come out of no where but in actual fact it took time to be written.

Similarly the grandfather theory relates closer to this storyline. It postulates that if you built a time machine, went back in time, killed your grandfather how could you seeing as your would have never existed in order to start the process of events such as building the time machine or killing your grandfather? Stephen Hawking proposed that you would be thrown into an alternate dimension if you did travel in time, in this time line you were always destined to perform this action and you would split form the "main" timeline as soon as you went back. This allows you to alter the events as you precive them to have happened or will happen without conciquence. In a way he stated time travel isnt possibe but rather dimensional travel IS but we would precive it as "time travel"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭somuj

Maybe a magnetic field wrapped the wormhole around destiny as a solar flare was errupting and sent the ship back in time.

I still dont even believe in the concept of 'time'. Theres just the speed at which things happens. But I really like the way they handled it in this episode. Its a shame that older rush had to perish (or did he) tho.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Cancelled. Indeed.
    I thought it was a desperate piece of Schlock writing to push along the Gettin 2 Shuttles back, storyline, that said I thought the return o the first shuttle was a worse premis.

is it possible that RushNo2 has ascended like ferguson?????

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Goa'uld
    I thought it was a fantastic episode, I can't believe they've cancelled this show.

I loved at the end when it was insinuated that Rush did it all on purpose just to continue the mission.

Advertisement