Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First time gardener

Options
  • 15-03-2011 12:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

hi everyone, hope i'm in the right place to ask this question.
    in my backgarden i have laid out 4 small veggie beds each measuring 8ft x 3-1/4ft. I'll call them beds A,B,C and D.
    in bed A, i only want to grow potatoes this year.
    For the other 3 beds i have the following seeds and sets ready to go in....carrots, mixed salad leaves, beetroots, parsnips, courgettes, shallots, garlic cloves and onions.
    i want to be able to rotate everything after this first years growth but i dont know what beds to put these veggies into, in order to have them rotate properly next time round.
    Someone said i could put most of them into bed B and anything else into Bed C, but that meant that Bed D wouldnt get used. and then someone else said some of them could go in with the potatoes which i dont want to do.!!
    I'd be most greatful for any advice you can give me folks.
    cheers,
    mike.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭jezko

pneireland wrote: »
    hi everyone, hope i'm in the right place to ask this question.
    in my backgarden i have laid out 4 small veggie beds each measuring 8ft x 3-1/4ft. I'll call them beds A,B,C and D.
    in bed A, i only want to grow potatoes this year.
    For the other 3 beds i have the following seeds and sets ready to go in....carrots, mixed salad leaves, beetroots, parsnips, courgettes, shallots, garlic cloves and onions.
    mike.

Bed A; \\potatoes Only
    Bed B; Carrots (I'd Plant the Onions, Shallots and Garlic Between the rows of carrots to hide from root fly.)
    Bed C; Parsnips and Beetroot
    Bed D; Courgettes tend to be a Big plant once mature so at start of season inter plant with the salad

No mention of any Brassicas don't forget your Greens :p !!

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fodda

jezko wrote: »
    Bed A; \\potatoes Only
    Bed B; Carrots (I'd Plant the Onions, Shallots and Garlic Between the rows of carrots to hide from root fly.)
    Bed C; Parsnips and Beetroot
    Bed D; Courgettes tend to be a Big plant once mature so at start of season inter plant with the salad

No mention of any Brassicas don't forget your Greens :p !!

You need to plant onion based plants in with your parsnips aswell as the carrot fly will go for them also.

Dont forget peas and beans which will give you plenty to eat from a small space, but it all depends on what you actually like to eat.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

• Registered Users Posts: 45 pneireland

cheers jezko,
    like the credit card advert says, "that'll do nicely" ;-)
    my mum used to always stand over me till i ate my greens.....so i think i'm giving them a bit of a miss this time lol.
    but if i did decide to grow some cabbages for example or cauliflowers, which bed(s) would they go into?

ok fodda thanks for that info....much appreciated.

• Advertisement

many thanks for that link sonnenblumen, its most interesting and i see the patern its advocating.

Advertisement