Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

reloading

Options
  • 15-03-2011 12:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭

i know its been asked loads of times and ive read most of them but im just wondering will it ever happen as i would like a 220 swift but the cost of ammo puts me off so im leaning towards a 223 rem

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,061 ✭✭✭whydave

Along the same lines , is there any were you can learn to reload ? and advice on costs ,etc.
    David

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

................ im just wondering will it ever happen as i would like a 220 swift but the cost of ammo puts me off ................

Hopefully, but not in such a short period of time as to allow it to dictate what rifle and caliber i would buy. You should buy according to your budget and likings now. If the reloading does become available for all in the future it will simply ease the cost of things in the long run.
    whydave wrote: »
    Along the same lines , is there any were you can learn to reload ? and advice on costs ,etc.
    David

All i could suggest would be to watch videos, read books and check articles such as those on 6mmbr website. They will give everything from beginners to advance info. Some of it will make sense some may not until you get the names of all the tools and the processes involved.

In relation to costs it depends on what equipment you are after and how much you are willing to pay. Pretty much like buying a gun. There are the standard kits and gear that would get you started for about €300-ish (as was pointed out to me recently), but for the medium level or advanced kit you could be looking at €650+. As with all things there is equipment that could set you back in excess of €1,300 if you want "the best" money can buy.
    Then there is the actual cost of the powder, primers and bullets, not to mention the fact that if reloading does become available to everyone, what security requirments would be imposed on people to allow them to have the componants at home or even if they will be allowed at home. You may have to be a member of an authorised range that has permission to allow its members to reload.

For the moment it is way too early to be discussing it from home loading point of view. The pilot scheme being run in the midlands will carve a path and all going well things will develope from there and you never knwo in a while we could all have it.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭johnnymolloy

what pilot scheme is bein run in the midlands

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

what pilot scheme is bein run in the midlands

For the Creedmoor Cup

American Challenge

In 2011 we will see the largest event in Rifle Shooting in Ireland for years. It all comes from a challenge laid down by the president of the National Rifle Association of America, Mr. John Sigler, to the Chairman of the National Rifle Association of Ireland, Mr. Noel Kelly, to revive the Creedmoor Cup Match which was shot at Dollymount Strand Dublin on the 29th June 1875 with an audience of between forty and fifty thousand people.

While we are not expecting the same volume of people, nevertheless the interest and excitement will be the same. For us at the Midlands National Shooting Centre of Ireland our challenge will be in the organising and running a match of this importance.

The first big step in achieving this is the granting of approval to run a pilot cartridge reloading scheme. This for the first time will provide an opportunity for our Target Shooters to compete with precision-made ammunition. The M.N.S.C.I. would like to thank the staff of the Explosives Inspectorate of the Department of Justice, Equality & Law Reform, the Garda Crime Prevention Officer and the Offaly County Fire Service for their help, advice and cooperation. We look forward to meeting all our International friends for this event and are proud to be given this opportunity to further the sport of target shooting in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

i know its been asked loads of times and ive read most of them but im just wondering will it ever happen as i would like a 220 swift but the cost of ammo puts me off so im leaning towards a 223 rem

John,
    I believe it will happen, until then, pick up and save your brass.

Given the cost of ammo in Ireland and the small amount you are allowed to possess, Ireland will be one of the most suitable places for reloading.

In the states you and can pick up a box of Hornaday Superformance in 223 for under $20.00. If you listen closely, I think you can hear groans from tackleberryWho and Poluo..

Seriously though, at those prices, reloading is not as attractive as Ireland.

When you do reload, you will find that there is nothing like it. The consistency of every shot is match level. Once you reload, you will never go back.
    whydave wrote: »
    David

David,
    It doesn't take a lot. I might just put up a thread on the basics, if allowed. You really only need a simple press, dies, tumbler, scale, book, and a few other bits and pieces.

The key is getting a good book that will have all of the specifics that you need: grains, powder type, masses, et al.

Have a look at Cabelas and you will see some lovely kits that go for over $1,000. It's nice to have multistage presses. However, even with a basic RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme, you could not out 100 rounds in and hour or two.

I think it is more a love of labor. When you put your face to the stock it is nice to know that what's about to ignite is not mass produced but your own handy work.

It is not rocket science. You have to learn how to inspect the brass: cracks, bulges, has it lengthened, diameter, ... I know people who have reloaded brass more than 5 times, I think the cousin has some going on 7.

So, pick up your brass and save a few boxes with the holders so you have a place to put your rounds when the time comes.

Again, if there is any interest and if allowed, I could post the fundamentals of reloading - just the basics nothing fancy, just to get you in the game.

Slan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

A Lee handloader kit with the measures and dies in your calibre of choice wil cost about 40USD on ebay. Get one of those to start off with to really see is handloading for you.The kit is KISS ,and will teach you reloading techniques and procedures very quickly.Then if you like it,you can spend thousands on reloading machines,kit etc.

Here you go..Cabelas has it on sale for under 20 Euros!!!

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Lee-Classic-Loader-Kit/733635.uts?

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

John, Dave, and all,
    If you have never reloaded and would like to do so, the absolute first step is to get this book.
    9eafc060ada02021be599110.L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

It takes you through everything you need to know.

Just read this more than anything you did during the leaving and junior-cert.

Once you are comfortable with the information and plan to reload you will need a reloading book with all of the specifics. I like Speer and Hornaday. Forget Lee. I think Hodgkins is good, I'll have to double check. I maintain that you should buy at least two, preferably three reloading books.
    214qDXPGzTL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Then you'll want:
    1. A press
    2. a die for the particular round you want to reload
    3. a scale - automatic is probably best
    4. tumbler
    5. corn cob material to clean brass
    6. case trimmer
    7. loading tray
    8. caliper to check length
    9. something to clean the primer pocket
    I am not suggesting these exact products - just giving a few links so you can get an idea.

That's pretty much the basics to get you started. It's a bit overwhelming at first, especially when you go to Cabelas and see the amount of stuff they sell.

When it is legal to reload in Ireland, you will be able to run through the basics of the process. Then you will probably find that there are a few bits and pieces that you would like to have. For example, having an automatic feeder for the primers is nice when you are loading a few hundred rounds.

Until then, the above should cover the basics.

A multi stage press would be fine if you lived in the States, for example, where you were able to hold as many rounds as your wallet could afford. But since it is not likely to have thousands of rounds to reload for a particular firearm, the single stage is more than enough. I also think it is a good idea to go single stage at first to get the procedure down without distractions.

Take my advice: pick up your brass, buy the NRA book, if the person next to you does not pick up their brass, pick it up too, study the NRA book until you know it inside out, go on youTube, and watch some of the professionals out there.

Slan

Advertisement