Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Male Montessori Teachers

Options
  • 15-03-2011 12:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

OK I am a 29 year old guy and I am about to do my postgrad in Montessori Education with AMI.
    My wife is already qualified and we hope to someday set up our own school.

A friend of mine said to me she wouldn't send her child to a Montessori if they had a male teacher that she didn't know personally.....

what do you guys think/feel about this issue?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

My thoughts are anyone who thinks "Male teacher? Must be a pedo!" should be shot...

OK I am a 29 year old guy and I am about to do my postgrad in Montessori Education with AMI.

A friend of mine said to me she wouldn't send her child to a Montessori if they had a male teacher that she didn't know personally.....

Did she specify why???
    And when her child is starting junior infants, will she refuse a male teacher?? Maybe you should ask her.....

I just saw something like this being discussed on TV3's Midday programme today http://www.tv3.ie/shows.php?request=midday skip forward to roughly 19:30 - - Elle McPhereson's male nanny and the discussion followed about males caring for and working with children. Perhaps it might interest both you and your wife.
    The general consensus among the panel of ladies was a very positive feeling about males working with children.
    I think your friend is being very blinkered. Perhaps it's like the way some people wouldn't consider a female mechanic/plumber since these aren't traditionally 'female' jobs... I certainly hope she's not simply presuming that a male Montessori teacher wouldn't be up to the mark, or worse still, that they're in it 'cos they're secretely paedos ??? Any reputable childcare/preschool service subject all staff to Garda vetting and thoroughly check references nowadays. I did some work experience in a creche a few years ago, and there was a 25 yr old male childcare student on placement in the Montessori room and I can tell you that the kids LOVED him !!! And the parents and all the other staff raved about him, they were so sad when he left !!

So I say - go for it !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

ABSOLUTELY GO FOR IT . A friend of mine had a male childcare assistant in her Montessori and she never met a more fantastic person, kids adored him and so did parents. He left to study abroad and was very much missed. Also, a friend of mine in the States children attended a Montessori school and had an amazing male Montessori teacher which was the norm over there. You also have the option with the AMI postgrad to teach in a Montessori primary school. Ireland is moving forward and gradually people will start to change their perceptions about things like this. For the one parent who makes judgements like this you will find twenty others who wont see a difference. Then the one will have no choice in primary school teacher :D. Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 gav1

Hi. I am a male Special Needs teacher in Ireland, but my training was originally in Montessori Education. During my years working with children, I spent time in Montessori schools, the children and staff were extremely happy to have me there, some children even responded better to having a positive male role model in their company, as that is not really the norm .. its a shame 'certain people' have this stigma attached to males working alongside children, they should be ashamed of themselves .. In the Special Needs sector, it is similiar but again the pupils/staff greatly appreciate having male staff around..

All in all, I say go for it and open this school, Id send my children there without a doubt !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

There seems to be a general consensus that women are traditionally better carers, because, of course, all men are aggressive and sexually charged and irresponsible in comparison. It's a completely stupid view to have. I think it's good to have a male influence in a very female-dominated young education system. Go for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

gnikdivad wrote: »

I think the fact that you are married makes a difference in your favour. Some people can jump to very sick conclusions otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Cydoniac wrote: »
    There seems to be a general consensus that women are traditionally better carers, because, of course, all men are aggressive and sexually charged and irresponsible in comparison. It's a completely stupid view to have. I think it's good to have a male influence in a very female-dominated young education system. Go for it.

who is going to teach the boys a bit of footie?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 gnikdivad

Well the start date for the course is getting closer and I'm lokking forward to starting it. Thank you all so much for the positive feedback!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

:mad:
    Fuinseog wrote: »
    who is going to teach the boys a bit of footie?
    :mad:
    Only boys can play "footie" and have to be taught by men so????

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

And when her child is starting junior infants, will she refuse a male teacher?? Maybe you should ask her.....

Really good point.

I've taught three different class levels so far on TP, and infants was probably the one I enjoyed most. It's a massive generalization to state that males and young children don't go. It's actually really disappointing to read this sort of stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 jam123

Best of luck with the course, hope it goes well. I'd be really interested from time to time to hear how you are getting on. I am strongly considering doing this course in a year's time myself, i am researching the area at the moment.

Advertisement