Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When did we change from rubber to pvc insulation?

Options
  • 15-03-2011 1:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭

I am looking at a house at the moment and I am trying to put an approx age on the wiring.

Anyone know when we changed from rubber insulated wires to pvc wiring? I guess about 1970?

And when we changed from red/black pvc wiring to brown/blue?

(and if you really know your stuff, when we changed from lead sheathed twin & earth! Never saw that stuff before).

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

dunno-the age won't matter anyhow

rubber cabling is best re-wired

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

deandean wrote: »
    I am looking at a house at the moment and I am trying to put an approx age on the wiring.

Anyone know when we changed from rubber insulated wires to pvc wiring? I guess about 1970?

(and if you really know your stuff, when we changed from lead sheathed twin & earth! Never saw that stuff before).

Thanks.

As the poster above said its kinda academic as it will need to be changed, but I would guess the rubber stuff would be pre 1960. As my own house was built in the 1960s and it had a type of PVC insulation, although it more closely resembled a type of Teflon ( I don't think it was Teflon).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭deandean

I am trying to put an approx date on when an extension was built.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Philistine

deandean wrote: »

I started my apprenticeship in 1990 and we were told that the colours had "recently" changed from red/black to brown/blue, so I'm guessing very late 80's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Philistine wrote: »
    I started my apprenticeship in 1990 and we were told that the colours had "recently" changed from red/black to brown/blue, so I'm guessing very late 80's.

Yea i think it changed during my one which started in 1987

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭deandean

Yea I think the brown/blue colours came in about the time we started using MCBs instead of fuses - roughly mid 80's?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

i haven't a great memory:)

- if i recall mcbs were standard well before brown/blue

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

yes it was the late 1980s for the colour change, my place was 1967 and had PVC/PVC black/red so the extension is at least that old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

1988-89 for the colour change i think, i was apprentice at the time and i think it happened then. The original pvc/pvc had a more plastic look to it, and the conductor had less strands in it, that was in use in the 60`s alright i think.

Advertisement