Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 2011 Sean Kelly Tour of Waterford

• 15-03-2011 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

The 2011 Sean Kelly Tour of Waterford, Sunday August 28th
    Entry is now open for the 2011 Sean Kelly Tour of Waterford
    Sunday August 28th 2010

There are 3 routes to choose from:

The 160k Kelly Comeragh Challenge
    The 90k Kelly Coast
    The 50k Kelly Cruise

Also for some family fun on Saturday 27th August the 10k Kelly Ten

The 2011 event promises to be bigger & better that ever. 2010 saw over 4400 cyclists participate in the event & raise over 53k for the Irish Cancer Society.

This is an event not to be missed - there will be a souvenir jersey for all participants & a great Waterford Welcome!!

check out www.theseankellytour.com for more info & registration!

Follow us on facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Sean-Kelly-Tour/116065285103586

PRE-REGISTRATION ONLY - NO REGISTRATION ON THE DAY!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 193 ✭✭jimzy

Looks like the sean kelly tour is creeping up fast, only three weeks or so, I'm planning on giving it a shot so best get some big climbs in beforehand, looks like some pretty tough climbs in there on the 160k route!

Any reviews from last year, or many people intending on doing it this year?

http://www.mapmyride.com/s/routes/view/bike-ride-map/ireland/dungarvan/3681000

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Muckers

I'm doing it. 2 big climbs really. Powers the pot and the mama road are low gradient long drags, while Seskin Hill is severe for the last 300 metres and Mahon falls is a 5k very difficult climb, normally with a gale blowing directly in your face for the 2nd half of it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I've managed to swing this one off :)

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭lescol

I'm in too, really looking forward to the event.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭aquanaut

Im in but undecided on distance as yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Daithi BC

I'm in for the 160km, having done the 90km last year. After feeling shattered after my 120km ride today, I'm starting to feel a bit worried....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Signed up for the 'pain' aka the 160km. I did the 90km last year aswell and it was a great route. I did the ROK this year and felt quite good during/after it, so all that's left now is for a fine day :cool:.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Dubba

Looking forward to this :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

Going to miss this. Raging cos its a great event and one of the few times each year that the three brothers get to cycle together. Maybe the wife can go on hols without me and I can join her after the e vent! Yea right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

Looking forward to this. Really enjoyed it last year. Love the climbs but the descent back into Dungarvan is the bit I really looking forward to. It makes all the suffering worthwhile:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭elduggo

have packs been sent out for this yet? I didn't receive one and was just curious if this was just me or whether they just hadn't been sent yet. I entered this before and seem to recall having my pack a good ways in advance of the event. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭CptMackey

elduggo wrote: »
    have packs been sent out for this yet? I didn't receive one and was just curious if this was just me or whether they just hadn't been sent yet. I entered this before and seem to recall having my pack a good ways in advance of the event. Thanks.

I haven't got anything yet either. Registered a good while ago too

CptMackey wrote: »

Same here

CptMackey wrote: »

Nothing here either. I can't remember if I got anything in advance last year, or whether I just turned up and registered with my name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Daithi BC wrote: »
    Nothing here either. I can't remember if I got anything in advance last year, or whether I just turned up and registered with my name.

It was the latter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

No pack or info here either - not even a confirmation of registration email. A friend rang them to get them to send out some sponsorship cards. She was told because she registered online one wasn't sent out and that most people use mycharity.ie for the sponsorship. My experience though is i have had more people sponsor me with the card than online (about twice as many).

• Registered Users Posts: 3 SHAYMOF

I have signed up for the 160Km spin and judging by the what I read on the website the sean kelly tour is very tough with some of the gradients at 25% .
    Last weekend I done the Orwell Randonee in the Wicklow mts and this was tough but enjoyable nonetheless . We had some very steep climbs like the " wall ", Djouce Mt, Luggalo and Shay Elliott . I was wondering has anyone else done both sportifs previously and is the SK tour of Waterford tougher . Not sure if I've ever climbed a 25% gradient so once i can keep moving will be happy enough !

I got in contact with the organisers abou this. They said an e-mail will be sent in the next couple of days to those who signed up online containing information about the event. It'd be nice if they could include that in their FAQ as I'm sure plenty of people are wondering what the story is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭coastwatch

SHAYMOF wrote: »
    I have signed up for the 160Km spin and judging by the what I read on the website the sean kelly tour is very tough with some of the gradients at 25% .
    Last weekend I done the Orwell Randonee in the Wicklow mts and this was tough but enjoyable nonetheless . We had some very steep climbs like the " wall ", Djouce Mt, Luggalo and Shay Elliott . I was wondering has anyone else done both sportifs previously and is the SK tour of Waterford tougher . Not sure if I've ever climbed a 25% gradient so once i can keep moving will be happy enough !

The SKT is about 20km longer than the Orwell Randonne, but the main difference is that most of the hills are on the 2nd half of the route, after 80km, when they hurt that little bit more, so important to pace yourself for the first half and dont "empty the tank".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Keep_Her_Lit

SHAYMOF wrote: »
    I've done both and don't think the SKT 160 is really any tougher. The total veritcal ascent on the Orwell Randonee is 1448m compared with about 1,600m for the SKT. As for the steepest gradients, if you managed The Wall and that kicker of a ramp just before the water stop at Luggala, you will cope fine.

As coastwatch says, just don't go bananas early on because the toughest part of the SKT 160, I think many would agree, is the climb up to Mahon Falls and that comes around the 120km mark. Here's some slightly longer feedback in response to another poster. Have a good day out and hopefully the weather will hold!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 SHAYMOF

Cheers for the feedback and def will take in to consideration that most climbs are on the second half . Bit more training up Luggalo and will be fine ! Looking forward to it

Just got my registration email. No number in it as far as I can see, so looks like turn up on the day and give them your name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 278 ✭✭King Kelly

Just doing online entry for the SKT.

Entered my CI number but payment page defaulting to €40 charge rather than discounted €36. Anyone else enter using CI number? Just wondering if discount is applied at the end of process before I complete transaction?

€4 nearly equals a pint of rehydration!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 115 ✭✭arch staunton

check the drop down box that gives you the payment options, there is an option there to pay the 36 if you are a ci member and 40 if you not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Pretty sure goody bags are handed out as you sign in on the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 343 ✭✭sleepyholland

I'm signed up to do the 160km next week. Have barely made it out on the bike in the last month. Managed an 80km 3hr spin up Stocking Lane to Sally Gap and back via Blessington last weekend. Was fairly spent, but could have managed more flat miles-not more hills.

So my question is how can I now best prepare to survive the 160 next Sunday. I have only 2 more training chances- Weds evening and next Saturday. I did the 160 and the WW200 last year with proper preparation. My base fitness levels are pretty good. I know I should probably do the 90km instead, but all suggestions on how to survive the 160 with such bad preparation would be welcome.

I'm signed up to do the 160km next week. Have barely made it out on the bike in the last month. Managed an 80km 3hr spin up Stocking Lane to Sally Gap and back via Blessington last weekend. Was fairly spent, but could have managed more flat miles-not more hills.

So my question is how can I now best prepare to survive the 160 next Sunday. I have only 2 more training chances- Weds evening and next Saturday. I did the 160 and the WW200 last year with proper preparation. My base fitness levels are pretty good. I know I should probably do the 90km instead, but all suggestions on how to survive the 160 with such bad preparation would be welcome.

Same boat as you - gonna go for 90 I think although would love to do 160

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,454 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

I would have thought that you need to be ready right now, and not to push too hard at all for the next 7 days, simply keep the legs spinning with some relatively easy rides. You definitely don't want to be burning too much energy during the coming week in expectation of making the SKT160. Mahon Falls comes after 120km (which includes Seskin and Powers-the-Pot). More experienced opinions will be along soon......

I've lost three weeks training due to illness and am resigned to not even trying for the 160 this year......;(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

I signed on for this today and I received my confirmation email.

I've been putting in a lot of miles (for me) in the past few weeks. I've done 300 miles in the past 2.5 weeks.
    My climbing is poor. I "get over" climbs rather than race up them.

I'll take a crack at the 160km route.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

I'm in pretty much the same boat as Sleepyholland and Aquanaut. Well prepared for W200 and not as much since.

Gonna give the 160km a go on the basis that if I can swim the wicklow 200 I can probably cycle 160. I'll take it fairly easy until the main climbs (which I beleive are at about 80k), once over those I'll see if I can pick up the pace a bit. If not, it doesn't get dark till around 2100.

Gonna give the 160km a go on the basis that if I can swim the wicklow 200 I can probably cycle 160. I'll take it fairly easy until the main climbs (which I beleive are at about 80k), once over those I'll see if I can pick up the pace a bit. If not, it doesn't get dark till around 2100.

<fate tempting>At least the weather can't be as bad as the WW200</fate tempting>

The three numbers I'm trying to remember are 91km, 121km and 134km which are the tops of the three main climbs on the way home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 465 ✭✭Lucifer-0

Am I correct in saying the closing date for this is tomorrow some time?

The closing date is tomorrow, Tuesday 23rd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭on_the_nickel

There's another thread which gives more information on the climbs which might be of help for anyone undecided.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056143503&page=2

I haven't done as much training as I'd like to (tonsillitis/injury/work/travel since July), but I'm doing the 160, one way or another!

I'm in pretty much the same boat as Sleepyholland and Aquanaut. Well prepared for W200 and not as much since.

I read somwhere that if you havent completed mahon falls by 3pm, then its into the broom wagon

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

aquanaut wrote: »
    I read somwhere that if you havent completed mahon falls by 3pm, then its into the broom wagon

oh, cock.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

maybe you read this
    * NB Important information for cyclists taking part in the 160k Kelly Comeragh Challenge: Once again there will be a time limit on the Kelly Comeragh Challenge Route. Cyclists who do not reach Mahon Bridge (112 kms.) by 3:30 p.m. will be advised to return to Dungarvan directly via Lemybrien and the N25 (therefore avoiding Mahon Falls). This measure is being taken due to health and safety concerns and out of consideration for event volunteers.

Wish I'd read this before deciding on my training programme:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=71207841&postcount=30

I feel decidedly unprepared now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Funkyzeit

There's another thread which gives more information on the climbs which might be of help for anyone undecided.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056143503&page=2

I haven't done as much training as I'd like to (tonsillitis/injury/work/travel since July), but I'm doing the 160, one way or another!

You'd do the 160 in your sleep...!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 465 ✭✭Lucifer-0

Weather doesn't look great for this (which usually puts me off) but I'm going to enter the 90, don't have the balls (or the legs) for the 160.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭on_the_nickel

Funkyzeit wrote: »
    You'd do the 160 in your sleep...!

Wish I had your confidence!

Are you doing it yourself, or heading off to the continent to sign pro forms?

Lucifer-0 wrote: »
    Weather doesn't look great for this .

I thought I saw (on the Weather last night) that Sunday was predicted to be fine.
    /If enough of us 'believe'........then it will happen........!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭mccutchie

Just signed up for the 160, looking forward to it after yesterdays etape. Did Kilkenny Tour recently which had 9 climbs, after that, anythings possible

I really don't know which i'm doing - sensible me wants the 90km ("wants" is probably the wrong word but it's what I know i'm able for) , however the "F*ck it" me is up for the 160km and then just suck it up when it gets tough. Sportif's seem to put miles under ya that you'd never manage out on a solo spin. I'll figure it out by Saturday (hopefully).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 601 ✭✭✭alexanderomahon

I really don't know which i'm doing - sensible me wants the 90km ("wants" is probably the wrong word but it's what I know i'm able for) , however the "F*ck it" me is up for the 160km and then just suck it up when it gets tough. (hopefully).

"shut up legs!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

Not having done this event before is it similar to the wicklow200 in that you've to get a card stamped at the feed stations?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Is the 160km really way tougher than the Sky Hibernia Etape? I'm used to cycling everyday around Dublin and managed the 135km on Sunday in under 6 hours, but I don't really train. Hmmm... the 90km one on the other hand might be too leisurely.

I thought I saw (on the Weather last night) that Sunday was predicted to be fine.
    /If enough of us 'believe'........then it will happen........!

Met site this morning says: "There'll be some well scattered showers on Sunday too, but a good deal of dry weather. Over the weekend day time temperature will continue to reach the mid- teens with mostly moderate west to northwest breezes"

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭xz

Daithi BC wrote: »
    Met site this morning says: "There'll be some well scattered showers on Sunday too, but a good deal of dry weather. Over the weekend day time temperature will continue to reach the mid- teens with mostly moderate west to northwest breezes"

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/

Do you ACTUALLY believe a word they say :rolleyes:

kinaldo wrote: »
    Is the 160km really way tougher than the Sky Hibernia Etape? I'm used to cycling everyday around Dublin and managed the 135km on Sunday in under 6 hours, but I don't really train. Hmmm... the 90km one on the other hand might be too leisurely.

Yep the 160km is tougher than the Hibernia Etape. If I were you I would do the 90km route, and it's not a leisurely route, the homeward journey from Tramore is hilly and tough.

Weather: from our own Weather forecaster:
    NEXT WEEKEND… Pressure will slowly rise through the weekend, giving some good dry weather, with good sunny spells, though cloud cover may be greater along Atlantic coasts. Temperatures still mid teens by day, with sea breezes, becoming cool by night.
    ...........so, looking promising :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement