Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 2011 Sean Kelly Tour of Waterford

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,454 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

kinaldo wrote: »
    ... the 90km one on the other hand might be too leisurely.

That raised a giggle.....:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 705 ✭✭✭QueensGael

hinault wrote: »
    Not having done this event before is it similar to the wicklow200 in that you've to get a card stamped at the feed stations?

Nope, not necessary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Junior

QueensGael wrote: »
    Nope, not necessary.

You get a wrist band, the feed station is very organised..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Looking for b&b within say 30k - any ideas. I'm all tried out.

Dungarvan may be difficult, try Clonmel, Youghal or Waterford, particularly on the western side, around Kilmeaden. (just dont book anything for Dungarvan, Co Kilkenny , or you'll be facing long drive to Dungarvan, Co Waterford).

A few possibilities are listed here
    or try GoIreland http://reservations.goireland.com

good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭seve65

Some tasty times on Strava for Mahon falls now Strava has gone free:
    http://app.strava.com/segments/623750

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Daithi BC

xz wrote: »
    Do you ACTUALLY believe a word they say :rolleyes:

Only when it agrees with what I want to happen. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭jimm

Just signed up for 160km of suffering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭showry

seve65 wrote: »
    Some tasty times on Strava for Mahon falls now Strava has gone free:
    http://app.strava.com/segments/623750

Dungarvan CC had hill Time Trials from the shop to the top a few weeks back. The fastest time was 14:51.

• Advertisement

showry wrote: »
    Dungarvan CC had hill Time Trials from the shop to the top a few weeks back. The fastest time was 14:51.

Good old Pain and Suffering, they are a fine pair of calves to set a time like that !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Funkyzeit

Wish I had your confidence!

Are you doing it yourself, or heading off to the continent to sign pro forms?

I'm not stupid I know my limits. Not going to turn pro till next year....

I'll be there though leaving from Gold Coast (staying there) with a couple of buddies to avoid the mass start. Pop me a text if you are around...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭on_the_nickel

Heading over with a mate on the morning. Will give you a shout....

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭seve65

showry wrote: »

impressive, the top 3-4 on that trial look like they would take the top spots on strava. go minnies !
    http://www.dungarvancyclingclub.org/hill_climb_2011_112.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 348 ✭✭cipo

My lady friend has just got a bike & is keen to do 50k cruise.

I looked at doing 90/160 - can't be arsed paying 36yoyo for a jersey I don't want & 160k of suffering- done enough of that at Marmotte in July ;-) .
    Think I ll just go for a spin myself on the morning taking in some of the climbs that the 160k route covers.... Maybe 4hrs. Very civilised ;-)

Then back to dungarvan- coffee cake combo to see herself and friends finish.

Will need to have a good look at the routes and climbs & make a plan.

Any advice from locals / people who know the area well....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭showry

cipo wrote: »

I looked at doing 90/160 - can't be arsed paying 36yoyo for a jersey I don't want & 160k of suffering- done enough of that at Marmotte in July ;-) .
    Think I ll just go for a spin myself on the morning taking in some of the climbs that the 160k route covers.... Maybe 4hrs. Very civilised ;-)

Here's a route that'll give you the Mauma, Powers The Pot, and The Vee for good measure.
    http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/47507484/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭elduggo

cipo, a man of your undoubted talents should be well able to complete the 160km in 4 hours!

might see you on the route (passing me by)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 348 ✭✭cipo

elduggo wrote: »

cipo, a man of your undoubted talents should be well able to complete the 160km in 4 hours!

might see you on the route (passing me by)

Duggo, ye boy ye!!

Pain-train.... Choochoo!!! Done enough of that this summer & still xc marathon champs to do, so I'm looking at a nice plod- sick of being glued to wheels ;-)

The route that showry sent me looks perfect.... Good climbs that I'd love to see & not too mad!!

I ll bring a hurl so I can bait ye round the shins with it to make ye feel at home!!

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭ktz84

Can anyone tell me what the state of the roads are like on the route (160km). Are there any freshly spray tarmaced roads as my Michelin Pro3's can't cope those when the stones are just freshly down and not worked in by the traffic yet so I will need to change to my Krylion Carbons if that is the case.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 182 ✭✭velogirl

ROK ON wrote: »
    Looking for b&b within say 30k - any ideas. I'm all tried out.

Merry's Gastropub in centre of dungarvan still had vacancies yesterday for b & b. Was in touch with them to book dinner (they do really great food if anyone is interested) and they told me that they only started doing b & b this year.

Unfortunately we had already booked accomodation. Not sure of their number but look them up on the net.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Special Red

Happen to be in sunny Dungarvan this morning, hoping the weather keeps up. Looking forward to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

Anyone doing the 90km got a spare 31.8mm seat clamp that they wouldn't mind me borrowing for the day? If so, please PM me. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Lemag, do you mean a 31.8 clamp as in thats the actual diameter of it, or a clamp for bike that has a 31.8 seatpost (usually a 34.9 clamp).

Gone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

Quigs Snr wrote: »
    Lemag, do you mean a 31.8 clamp as in thats the actual diameter of it, or a clamp for bike that has a 31.8 seatpost (usually a 34.9 clamp).
    A 31.8mm clamp. I used a ruler to take the measurement from the seattube on my new bike as I didn't have a vernier calipers to hand. I measured it at approx 31.8. The clamp which came with the bike is missing the bolt.

edit - I'll take the measurement again later with a calipers just to make sure. The seatpost is 27.2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Ok, then I have one I think. Wasn't sure what I needed when I was ordering from Ribble recently because I didn't have the frame that I was building up in my possession at the time so I got a 31.8 and a 34.9 clamp. I used the 34.9 and still have the 31.8.

I am probably racing Sunday though, so will miss the Kelly this year. I am in Waterford City. The missus is doing the 90k though, so I could give it to her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭-K2-

velogirl wrote: »
    Merry's Gastropub in centre of dungarvan still had vacancies yesterday for b & b. Was in touch with them to book dinner (they do really great food if anyone is interested) and they told me that they only started doing b & b this year.

Unfortunately we had already booked accomodation. Not sure of their number but look them up on the net.

I just booked with them after my B&B developed a "sewerage problem".

Unfortunately they don't do breakfast, just rooms. Any suggestions on where to get breakfast suitable for an elite-level endurance athlete :rolleyes: on Sunday morning before the 160km?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Daithi BC

-K2- wrote: »
    I just booked with them after my B&B developed a "sewerage problem".

Unfortunately they don't do breakfast, just rooms. Any suggestions on where to get breakfast suitable for an elite-level endurance athlete :rolleyes: on Sunday morning before the 160km?

Last year there was as much free porridge as you could eat at the start. Flahavan's were sponsoring it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭-K2-

Daithi BC wrote: »
    Last year there was as much free porridge as you could eat at the start. Flahavan's were sponsoring it.

The website lists Flahavan's as a sponsor so looks good for this year too.

Long shot, goven that half the country is doing this.
    If anyone wants an entry then please let me know. Cant get close enough suitable accomodation and the journey their and back is just too long, so I wont be using my entry.

You have a PM from me dude ?

• Advertisement

Junior wrote: »
    Got that thanks. In the end due to a few things the 3hours there and back just dont add up. Wont get to leave here till 8, and have to be back by 6pm on Sunday - just hassle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭The tax man

Sorry to hear you couldn't get anywhere to stay ROK ON. I've decided to head down so hopefully a few Km's of suffering will take my mind off things. Hope to catch up soon.;)

Sorry to hear you couldn't get anywhere to stay ROK ON. I've decided to head down so hopefully a few Km's of suffering will take my mind off things. Hope to catch up soon.;)

Good man, enjoy it. Leave it all on Mahon Falls, if you know what I mean.

Junior wrote: »
    Got that thanks. In the end due to a few things the 3hours there and back just dont add up. Wont get to leave here till 8, and have to be back by 6pm on Sunday - just hassle.

The offer still stands if circumstances change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 394 ✭✭MichealD

"The Kelly Ten Family Cycle - 10k

This will be an event for all the family (for independent cyclists aged seven and over) along the wonderful traffic free recreational trail that is the Old Railway Line, Dungarvan. 2010 saw the inaugural running of this event and it proved very popular with over 700 people of all ages taking part."

I was going to bring my young fella on this one on Saturday before the full monty on Sunday. Anyone familier with the Old Railway line, Dungarvan? Just wondering what the surface is like. Bringing my 23mm tyres and if its a gravelly, loose surface might give it a miss. Don't want punctures the following day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 doinnottin

Tarmac or concrete pathways all the way - your 23mm will be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 394 ✭✭MichealD

doinnottin wrote: »
    Tarmac or concrete pathways all the way - your 23mm will be fine.

Many thanks, will have a happy chap with me tomorrow then!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 104 ✭✭dowtcha

Long shot, goven that half the country is doing this.
    If anyone wants an entry then please let me know. Cant get close enough suitable accomodation and the journey their and back is just too long, so I wont be using my entry.

I'll take you up on the kind offer, if its still avaialble?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 aidan86

If dowtcha does change his mind, I would also be happy to take this off you. Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 henesseg

Does anyone have an entry to Sean Kelly tour that they wont be using ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Dr.Millah

henesseg wrote: »
    Does anyone have an entry to Sean Kelly tour that they wont be using ?

I do if you need it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭catastrophy

im in need of an entry too, willing to pay the fee associated.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Kaiserkel

Coming in the morning for the 90k - anyone any ideas where to park and what time i should be ther to register etc?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Kaiserkel wrote: »
    Coming in the morning for the 90k - anyone any ideas where to park and what time i should be ther to register etc?

Don't go near the sports centre, get their just after 7 to register as it can be manic.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

@Captain Havoc. Are you riding tomorrow?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

@Captain Havoc. Are you riding tomorrow?

Yes sir, I am, see you there?

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Good luck to everyone tomorrow, hopefully the 'mad' weather will stay away. I drove up Seskin Hill yesterday evening, & yep it's a toughie, pity the surface isn't great and the descent down the other side is fast and curvy. The journey to Clonmel (on back roads) is a nice, scenic & quiet route, but..............a boneshaker !!

Yes sir, I am, see you there?

You will indeed. That's if I get any sleep. There's a fecking wedding downstairs and of course my room is at the loud end of the hotel.:mad: I'd use my ear plugs but then I wouldn't hear my alarm in the morning. See ya in the AM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭murf85

Heading down in the morning, looking forward to this, suprisingly enough, more than I was last year even tho i know whats ahead of me!!Thankfully will be with the club this year(All aboard the Midleton CTC Train) so hoping to smash last years time of 6.30!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

Packed up. Leaving in five.

Really looking forward to this

• Advertisement
Advertisement