Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 2011 Sean Kelly Tour of Waterford

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭The tax man

Worst nights sleep ever.
    Reckon the mattress in my room should have been binned about two years ago. Who wants to lie on a bed and take the shape of a "V". :confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭thereturn

I have spare entry to 160km.pm for details

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭CptMackey

Just finished the 90km. Was the only 1 in boards gear that I could see. Got a good few boardise calls. Meet 1 boardise in tramore. Good to meet you

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Tired.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 352 ✭✭Tonio

90km finished at 1:30pm. 3hrs 29 rolling.

Those hills on the way home are a killer. Having completed the 4 or 5 more difficult ones I always think I have done it but it is the last 2 or 3 less difficult ones that catch me out! Great day.

Super weather and organisation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 497 ✭✭experimenter

My first tour and had a blast, sure it was hard on the hills but a cracking day..and a great pace for the last 12 - 15km ...

Weather was super, a well organised and attended event..

Roll on next year, time to get some hill work in.. :)

Congrats to all those involved, great job..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Dubba

Tired.

So very tired. Saw a good few boardies out, great day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

Great day, sun shine most of the day, org was great, all in all how an event should be run really.

The 160 was a boards fest, too many to mention, rode home with funkyz and his possie from Mahon Falls which was great and a hammerfest which really was merciless
    The head wind was a killer in parts but came home just over 6:30 total time so pretty happy with that tbh cos the hills just kept on coming and I havent been on the saddle in 2 weeks.

Only down side was a few fools who almost caused crashes. These were club riders who were joining in on hammer drops but obviously hadn't a clue how to handle their bikes or how to cycle with others around them, this included a few in the the first 30km who thought it would be a thrill to mix it up but again should have stuck to the inside or outside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

+1 to all those who said it was a great day out (of the saddle :pac:). It was my first time doing the 160km route, & what a route it is, lumpy or rolling roads just doesn't describe it enough. I was legging it home on that by now famous run-in, and with about 5km to go I got serious cramp in my right leg, I got it in my quads & hamstring, I didn't know what to do with my leg, I managed to stop & rub it clear and then belted home (again). Time: 5.5 hours (yay), I had 6hrs in mind.
    That was the short story, long story to follow :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Daithi BC

Just back home after a great day. Well done to everyone involved in organising and everyone who finished.

Last year was my first ever sportive when I did the 90km. I graduated up to the 160km this year and was glad I did. It's a fantastic course - scenic, pretty decent roads, and brutal in places. I had a great time on Seskin and Powers, but the course got its own back on Mahon and Máma. Uphill into a strong headwind is not much fun. The steep ramp on Mahon was actually fine with the tailwind. Finished in 5:49 rolling, and very happy with it.

Met a heap of Boardsies: NeedMoreGears, Inquitus, Jimm, Sr. Assumpta, eh and a few others whose names I can't remember.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Terrific day all around, went on the 90Km route and it was smashing, easy enough trip to the food stop :eek: (Well i thought so) but got a bit lumpy on the return leg.
    Great organisation, a big thanks to all the marshalls, volunteers, and the support from the general public was top notch. Waterford done itself proud
    Great banter along the route among the cyclists,unfortunately there was one casualty that i saw just before the food stop in Tramore but help was at hand and hope the gentleman in question hasn't been hurt too badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 eoin_mulhern

First ever sportive did the 90km in 3 hours 9 minutes aerage speed 28.5km/h

I am now rocking a serious farmers tan :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭on_the_nickel

Great day, sun shine most of the day, org was great, all in all how an event should be run really.

The 160 was a boards fest, too many to mention, rode home with funkyz and his possie from Mahon Falls which was great and a hammerfest which really was merciless
    The head wind was a killer in parts but came home just over 6:30 total time so pretty happy with that tbh cos the hills just kept on coming and I havent been on the saddle in 2 weeks.

Only down side was a few fools who almost caused crashes. These were club riders who were joining in on hammer drops but obviously hadn't a clue how to handle their bikes or how to cycle with others around them, this included a few in the the first 30km who thought it would be a thrill to mix it up but again should have stuck to the inside or outside.

Thanks for the drag and then the push TBW! Great day, tough but fun.

No idea of rolling time as the Garmin is missing 40k, will upload and investigate later.....anyone ever had problems with auto power down kicking in at 70kph????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

Just after major feed at home and first glass of wine in a week. Great day. Brilliant organisation - this is the standard others should aspire to.

6:02 rolling with a run in at 40kph + to eat up the last 15k or so. Great fun.

Met a heap of boardsies Jimm & Inquitus plus one other (sorry - head like a sieve) in full new gear (same as myself).Several more incognito - Captain Havoc, The Bouldwhacker, Sister Assumpta, XZ... Aplogies if I left anyone out.

By the way, my ALDI computer had the distance at 164km and change. Anyone else got more accurate info and/or climb data.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

By the way, my ALDI computer had the distance at 164km and change. Anyone else got more accurate info and/or climb data.

Linky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭murf85

I really do love this event, Comes in at a close second behind the ww200 as one of the toughest iv done but superly run again this year!Spent the day in the safety of the Midleton CTC bunch and came in quicker than last years time too thank god at 6.15 rolling!

Highlight of the day was turning the corner before the ramp on Mahon Falls only to have the wind to my back...it made up for the bastard of a headwind going up!

Legs are hanging at the moment, and I blame Strava!

Hope the girl who came off down the far side of Mahon Falls is ok, head it was a pretty hard impact! Speedy recovery!

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Lashed

First time doing this sportive and really enjoyed it. Extremely well organised and nice weather. Saw a lot of Boards jerseys but wasn't sporting my own. Pink Coachford Cycling Club one if anybody noticed.
    Did the 160km with 28kph average and will definitely pencil it in again for next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

Hi John.

The distance shown on my Speedometer was very close to your GPS measure. As far as I remember 161.87 km.

I finished my day without the need of any medical assistance on the way, which was my main goal, as I just started cycling this season and I am still very inexperienced.

I managed to climb all the hills without the need for a break and that was my dream, so I am happy overall.

I arrived with rolling time of 6:04. Thank you Noel for your wind break on the last few kilometres (you have some power in your leggs :eek:). I enjoyed the ride very, very much.

All in all, one of my greatest days since I started cycling and thanks to all people involved with organising this fantastic Event.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭pointer28

I did the 50k, my first ever group cycling event. Sorry now that I didn't do the 90k as I was begging for more when I was finished.

Fantastic event, food, marshalling, everything was top notch. There were loads of people out cheering us on and I can't wait to do another.

As for Mahon Falls :eek: Serious respect to those that did it. I drove it and the car was struggling to get up the final steep ramp. The pain and suffering on the rider's faces was intense. I couldn't even imagine something like that at this stage but hope to do it next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Dubba

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/110085388

157.43 km for me and came in at 5.42 which I very happy with seeming as I crawled up the hills. Like most people I found Mahon Falls very tough going, it wasn't that steep but the head wind was grueling.
    The descents made up for it tho, I saw a reading of around 80kmph at one stage :eek:
    I also came in on that last hamerfest at the end, some serious pace at around 50-60kpmh - great fun!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭-K2-

Great day on the 160. Super organisation, food stops etc..

5:51 rolling for me, 6:22 including stops.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 intheshed

Great day on the 160k stepped up from the 90k and it sure is a big step up. The pack it in devil was calling to me in Rathgormac, turned a deaf ear and kept on peddling only for him to return after the Mama, focused on the run in and kept going to the end delighted i finished 6H15M. legs are crying what have you done to us, mind is saying we might have another go next year. I am definitely joining a club in the new year no more of this "me fein cc". Only problem is i have been told to choose the Honda or the Cube!!!! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

What a fantastic day:D Finished the 50km in 2hr 37min which was well under my goal of 50km. I did the first 25km or so with a friend and then headed off and did the second half on my own. The atmosphere was fantastic and the volunteers were great. I couldn't believe the amount of food that was laid on at the rest stop:eek: I don't normally stop (or eat) on my cycles so far though, so I just grabbed a drink and a wagon wheel and kept going.

Coming back towards dungarvan just before the turn off for Youghal there was an ambulance loading someone up. I heard that it was a young kid in a black and white cycling club jersey - I hope that whoever it is was ok.

Got a photo with Sean Kelly and the Rubber bandits at the end (although I think the music world might have been happier if they had worn their rubber masks over their face for the cycle:p).

Does anyone have the exact distance (or gps track) for the 50km? My runkeeper app didn't work and when I mapped it afterwards (using the map from the Sean Kelly website) it comes up at 46km so not sure if that is right or not?

I'm going to be shopping for a road bike at some stage and will absolutely be back for the 90km next year!

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭maloner

Did the 160km in 6.09 and happy out.

Fab day, well done all and congrats to the organisers, volunteers and the three lads for North Tipp CC who were animals on the last 15km and I held on for grim death shamelessly sucking the lift :)

Mahon falls really is an animal.

My GPS track came in at 161.1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭TheDocMan

Got 161.3km total myself.

Weather was kind and glad to get off the back road to Clonmel onto the main road. Hope they keep that for 2012.

Huge event but couldn`t help noticing there were a few dangerous junctions unmanned this year that had people there last few years.

Had a good day in the saddle with 4-5 guys working together all day. Done 5hrs 11mins. No stops. Bloody starving at the end - loads of grub.

Well done to all!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭cantalach

murf85 wrote: »
    Hope the girl who came off down the far side of Mahon Falls is ok, head it was a pretty hard impact! Speedy recovery!

She was one of our gang and is fine, thanks. She has a cut to the forehead and chest and some more cuts and grazes on her legs where she went through some barbed wire (!) Johnny Hoogerland style. But nothing broken apart from her bike which is apparently trashed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

mel.b wrote: »
    What a fantastic day:D Finished the 50km in 2hr 37min which was well under my goal of 50km. I did the first 25km or so with a friend and then headed off and did the second half on my own. The atmosphere was fantastic and the volunteers were great. I couldn't believe the amount of food that was laid on at the rest stop:eek: I don't normally stop (or eat) on my cycles so far though, so I just grabbed a drink and a wagon wheel and kept going.

Coming back towards dungarvan just before the turn off for Youghal there was an ambulance loading someone up. I heard that it was a young kid in a black and white cycling club jersey - I hope that whoever it is was ok.

Got a photo with Sean Kelly and the Rubber bandits at the end (although I think the music world might have been happier if they had worn their rubber masks over their face for the cycle:p).

Does anyone have the exact distance (or gps track) for the 50km? My runkeeper app didn't work and when I mapped it afterwards (using the map from the Sean Kelly website) it comes up at 46km so not sure if that is right or not?

I'm going to be shopping for a road bike at some stage and will absolutely be back for the 90km next year!

My Strava run comes up at 45 K, I didn't ride into Cappoquin for food stop

Strava Link

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 465 ✭✭Lucifer-0

Was that the rubber bandits dressed up in yellow lycra?

Anyone see the lad on what looked like an ancient post mans bike? Fair play to him, he hammered some of those hills on that piece of crap.

Junior wrote: »
    My Strava run comes up at 45 K, I didn't ride into Cappoquin for food stop

Strava Link

Thanks for that. I had the wrong route mapped but it didn't really make a difference - now have 47.3km inc into Cappaquin.

• Advertisement

Lucifer-0 wrote: »
    Was that the rubber bandits dressed up in yellow lycra?

Yep...
    *hanging head in shame*

rubberbandits.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭markcroninbsc

I didnt do the spin the spin this year so i went around with me camera and took a few pictures. I forgot me own camera so had to get a lend of the sisters one and it wasnt very good so alot of the pictures are blurry but i stuck them up on my webserver last night.

you can see them at http://www.gpspeedometer.com/skt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Daithi BC

I didnt do the spin the spin this year so i went around with me camera and took a few pictures. I forgot me own camera so had to get a lend of the sisters one and it wasnt very good so alot of the pictures are blurry but i stuck them up on my webserver last night.

Nice one! Thanks for those. You have me looking like I'm concentrating very hard at the top of Seskin and Powers the Pot.

Edit: and suffering horribly on Mahon Falls. The camera doesn't lie!

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Special Red

murf85 wrote: »
    I really do love this event, Comes in at a close second behind the ww200 as one of the toughest iv done but superly run again this year!Spent the day in the safety of the Midleton CTC bunch and came in quicker than last years time too thank god at 6.15 rolling!

Highlight of the day was turning the corner before the ramp on Mahon Falls only to have the wind to my back...it made up for the bastard of a headwind going up!

Legs are hanging at the moment, and I blame Strava!

She's fine thank God. We know eachother well through the TdeM and we cycled up Mahon Falls together and fair play to her she got me through the hard headwind part. After a brief stop at the top we headed off on the decent with her placed 3rd of three. When it all settled down on the decent after that sharp turn right I got a chance to look around to see if she was there but she wasn't. Other riders were talking about a crash and she fitted the discription. We made a few calls at the next water stop and found out what happened. Spoke to her afterwards and she's fine, few bad cuts and bruises but sure she's tough out.

Great day out, spoke with Jimm after the event and to be fair I don't know where I was looking but his was the first Boards jersey I saw all day. The organisation of the event was top drawer. The hills were tough going though. Enjoyed Seskin but I'd know it well even though it's around 20 years since I've been up it - I suppose the hill hasn't changed. Powers was tough, Mahon was fine until we hit the wind and I found the last ramp grand with the tail wind. Máma I found grand but with all the miles in the legs at that stage I was just hanging for the finish. Cruized into Dungarvan at the end, didn't kill myself at all.

Legs are tired after a long season, don't plan on doing anymore 120km + cycles till next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Boardsie Watch

Seskin

Needmoregears
    44244685.jpg

Daithi BC
    21949853.jpg

Inquitus (+ Points for the its not hurting honest smile)
    16690711.jpg

Unknown
    16124211.jpg[/IMG]

The Nire

Daithi BC and Jimm (+points for the smile)
    86979487.jpg

Mahon Falls

Daithi BC
    43952514.jpg

Inquitus
    35722108.jpg

80040440.jpg

Jimm (+points for the smile)
    89850432.jpg

needmoregears (Grimace of the day)
    33341234.jpg

Hope I got the names right.

Thanks to markcroninbsc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

CptMackey wrote: »
    Just finished the 90km. Was the only 1 in boards gear that I could see. Got a good few boardise calls. Meet 1 boardise in tramore. Good to meet you
    New Jersey, old shorts :confused::eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭groovyg

I did the 160 and it was brilliant fun. I couldn't believe the numbers on the 160 route, normally on the longer distance routes I end up cycling sections on my own but yesterday was in groups for the majority of it.
    I'm probably a few kgs heavier after it but aside from that thought it was a brilliantly well run event.

Lemag wrote: »
    New Jersey, old shorts :confused::eek:

Ya that was me. Those shorts are the best thing for my backside. Best shorts ever. Think the get up looks ok lol. Atleast i stand out :D

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭aquanaut

Ya that was me. Those shorts are the best thing for my backside. Best shorts ever. Think the get up looks ok lol. Atleast i stand out :D

You met me aswell in Tramore, I shouted at lemag from the queue, I wasnt in Boards jersey though

aquanaut wrote: »

You met me aswell in Tramore, I shouted at lemag from the queue, I wasnt in Boards jersey though

You were in your club gear. I knew your name began with a but couldn't remember it. The hills on the way back saw to that :)

• Advertisement

Well, I'm obviously not photogenic enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭markcroninbsc

Well, I'm obviously not photogenic enough.

Naaa I'm sure you are. Your just too slow, I got fed up waitin for ya to come past so I just went home.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Lashed

There I am in the Pink Coachford CC Jersey with the 2 lads: Daithi BC and Jimm (+points for the smile)

The pressure was on there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭aquanaut

You were in your club gear. I knew your name began with a but couldn't remember it. The hills on the way back saw to that :)

Those hills just kept coming, but they were great hills - not mad into the long gradual hills. Was a great day

2011-08-28144513.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭seve65

More photos are up on the skt site:
    http://www.itsafeeling.com/photos2011.html

5hrs26 rolling for me (5hrs 29 elapsed, i know i just had to stop at the top of mahon for a breather - which entailed nearly falling off the bike and getting cramp in both legs!)
    http://app.strava.com/rides/1407152

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Fantastic pics there mark, omg the grimacing faces!!!. Almost everyone standing on the pedals and as kelly says on the limit. Chapeau to them all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

5hrs53 rolling for me, started near the back of the mass start, spent alot of energy bridging gaps to the next disorganised group ahead, and never really got the benefits of working in a well organised group. Great day out, would start nearer the front next year to try and record a faster time.

Big shout out to Dungarvon CC for the high speed tow home on the final 15km odd on the main road, was fast and great craic!

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭seve65

Inquitus wrote: »
    5hrs53 rolling for me, started near the back of the mass start, spent alot of energy bridging gaps to the next disorganised group ahead, and never really got the benefits of working in a well organised group. Great day out, would start nearer the front next year to try and record a faster time...

nah, change the orange tyres for some even go faster red tyres :)

As I was cycling up Mauma, some kid says to his ma: "he's tiny" while giggling :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭The tax man

105Kms 4hrs for me.
    Hit the road at 8.15 to avoid the mass start and going at some groups pace and not my own. Pleasant spin on my own till just before the Seskin climb. I knew I wouldn't have the legs to do the full 160k and as I started the climb I asked myself why did I turn instead of going straight on. Have to say that climb is so enjoyable when the road isn't jammed with other riders.
    On to the food stop and there was maybe 40/50 people there already so nothing like 2009 when the place was jammed and I didn't bother trying to queue for food. Was really pleased I hit the road early,the whole thing felt like a small sportive rather than the monster the SKT is. The cyclocross exit was a nice touch.
    Leaving Clonmel I knew the legs didn't have much left so just after the water stop at Ballymacarbry I stopped at the junction where the 160 and old 100 routes split.I had hoped to follow the 160 route till the turn for Mahon falls but knew my knee would scream blue murder if I tried another climb. I think Captain Havoc passed by and called my name out. Hello sir if that was you.
    Took my number off my jersey and followed the old 100k route back to Dungarvan. Straight back to the hotel for a shower and even got to watch the F1 race in full before heading down to the finish to see people coming home. Spotted Jimm and Inquitus finishing.

@Captain Havoc You needed to be up Seskin Hill early to get snapped by markcroninbsc.:D

Advertisement