Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home boarding for Golden Retriever

• 15-03-2011 2:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

Hiya. I'm going to Australia for a month over Christmas time 2011 and am trying to find the perfect place to put my 1 year old Golden Retriever (she'll be 20mths in Dec). I've googled home boarding TO DEATH and come up with loads of options but I'm having trouble with a couple of things. Firstly, I don't know if my dog is a medium or large sized one - what size is large? Also, no-one seems to be getting back to me! Am I too eager in asking about places now, it being 8 months before we're actually going, and if so, when should I be looking in to them? I wanted to get in early to avoid disappointment, but should I relax for a while??:confused:
    I live near Naas, Co Kildare, and would prefer home boarding somewhere in this area, but would consider anyone between Naas and Dublin airport, as long as it is perfect for our beloved girl!
    Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

She's a large dog :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

I think you're doing exactly the right thing looking into this now, the best places will get booked up for Christmas very early. I'd suggest you go and check out the ones that you're interested in and leave your dog in for a night or a weekend, to see how they get on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Tivvo, I'm in Kilcullen and I would happily recommend the kennels we use for our boy. He adores going up there and he loves the people who run the kennel, I mean we get there, open the car door, and he runs in without even looking back at us. He gets loads of time with other dogs (owners own dogs) and loads of time with the people themselves. Comes home tired and happy. At this stage I wouldn't even consider letting him go anywhere else. The kennels are well set up for the bigger dogs too and the people who run it have a soft spot for the bigger breeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭teacherspet

I leave my dogs with Iris at Ard Na GCapall kennels in Cavan. I know it is a bit of a trek for you, but only an hour on the new M3. She has kennels and also does home-boarding. My six stay with her. With my 4 little ones staying in the house and my big 2 staying in the kennels. She has a face book page and a web site and is fully insured.
    Plus her prices are good, not to greedy. The last time mine were their it was 15 euro a day for the home boarding and 12 euro for the kennels. My dogs seem to like her and that says alot to me.
    I once even saw a Great Dane in her house :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭Groom!

OP I think you are dead right looking into this now.

I do home boarding in Shankill but I close for Christmas every year so sorry I'm no good to you this time.

I know from the phone calls that people are always looking for Christmas boarding and that kennels fill up very quickly.

I think you should go with a recommendation from other users or someone you know. Also when you have made a decision, I would definitely leave your dog in a couple of times before you go away on a trial visit for a weekend. You will know for sure after that whether it suits your dog. Just make sure the place you use is insured and if it is an outdoor kennel, then check the heating situation!

Hope you are successful in finding somewhere suitable! I have a goldie myself and they are great!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭tivvo

Thanks everyone for your input! The fact that our dog is a large one means that it's been a bit harder to find home boarding but we won't give up. Hopefully the perfect place will jump out at us soon! Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭littlelady

Hi there try Precious Paws, they seem to keep the dogs in their house, have a special area built, they are based in Newcastle http://www.preciouspawsdogresort.com

• Registered Users Posts: 13 BARNEYDUD

Hi Tivvo,
    I would highly recommend Happyhounds Boarding Kennels.
    They are based in Skryne, Nr Tara, Co Meath and they are between you and Dublin airport.
    They do have their own website.
    I leave our GR's with them and they class a GR as a medium sized dog.
    They also have a passion for GR's.
    They also do home boarding for some dogs and may consider your young lady as it is for a month.

Advertisement