Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

whats the difference between RAW & JPEG?

• 15-03-2011 2:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭

bit of a n00b question I know but I'm fairly new to this and just wondering what is the advantages to either?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Promac

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭BigDaddyCan

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the link behind that question actually does little to explain the difference, though.

BigDaddyCan - RAW is the data your sensor captures, with no tweaks made to it.
    JPG is a 'lossy' file format, which means that you are able to compress the file a lot, but at the cost of (usually nearly invisible to the naked eye unless you do some serious compression) image quality.

you can configure the camera to use either - if you choose RAW, the camera writes the sensor info straight to file for you. if you use JPG, the camera applies any settings you have configured to the image, and then writes it to file - this includes white balance, exposure information, etc.; and most of this modification will result in information being lost from the image data, which means it's not as easy to correct for mistakes afterwards.

i.e. if you choose RAW, you can take your time applying those settings made by the camera after the shot was taken, and obviously this gives you more control.

the drawbacks above are not inherent to the JPG file format itself; if you choose 8 bit TIFF as an output, you get the same issues (without the 'lossy' file issue).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Promac

No worries - although, wikipedia is generally your best bet for info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raw_image_format

Short version is:
    JPEG = the camera decides on sharpening and contrast/saturation levels and throws away anything that doesn't show up in the final image.
    RAW = you still have all the data from the shot, even if you can't see details in dark or very bright areas. You can adjust the sliders and bring back details that would be lost in jpegs.

thanks for the feedback guys!

quick question, does iphoto work with RAW files?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭charybdis

thanks for the feedback guys!

quick question, does iphoto work with RAW files?

You really don't like looking for things for yourself, do you?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

charybdis, i suggest you move your bed to the other side of the room. it seems you have the right side against the wall at the moment.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

charybdis wrote: »

The ten seconds it took you to write that could have been replaced with a simple yes. Of course the OP could have simply googled it, but where's the helpful community spirit in that? Isn't that what this forum is (was?) known for?

Yes iphoto can open RAW files but it's kinda crappy TBH. Lightroom/PS are excellent paid alternatives and there are some open source options too that I forget, Bibble I think. I'll go google it...

5uspect wrote: »
    The ten seconds it took you to write that could have been replaced with a simple yes. Of course the OP could have simply googled it, but where's the helpful community spirit in that? Isn't that what this forum is (was?) known for?

Yes, but think of all the time we'll save if people actually began to gather information using the internet in ways that aren't asking people questions to which the answers are readily available. I'm all for being helpful, but I wouldn't call spoonfeeding people information on demand "helpful".

The way you can help someone like this is by showing them how quickly and easily they can find answers to their questions from multiple sources and learn to evaluate information for themselves instead of relying on a handful of responses in a single forum (which even has answers to some of the questions in the helpfully named "read before posting" sticky).

Yes, but think of all the time we'll save if people actually began to gather information using the internet in ways that aren't asking people questions to which the answers are readily available. I'm all for being helpful, but I wouldn't call spoonfeeding people information on demand "helpful".

The way you can help someone like this is by showing them how quickly and easily they can find answers to their questions from multiple sources and learn to evaluate information for themselves instead of relying on a handful of responses in a single forum (which even has answers to some of the questions in the helpfully named "read before posting" sticky).

And that's fine, but your response was condescending and downright rude.
    That kind of response doesn't encourage people to return and post their photos as they develop from noob to someone whose posts I look forward to seeing.

Had you responded to the OP in the manner you replied to me just now it would have been much better. You could have suggested that the OP try opening a RAW in iphoto and see what happens. You could have said you don't know, but you could google it and find out. There were so many other ways to make your point that didn't involve being mean.

• Advertisement

5uspect wrote: »
    And that's fine, but your response was condescending and downright rude.
    That kind of response doesn't encourage people to return and post their photos as they develop from noob to someone whose posts I look forward to seeing.

Had you responded to the OP in the manner you replied to me just now it would have been much better. You could have suggested that the OP try opening a RAW in iphoto and see what happens. You could have said you don't know, but you could google it and find out. There were so many other ways to make your point that didn't involve being mean.

Point taken, although I'm not sure I have the same faith in those results of being more gentle (particularly when it didn't seem to work earlier in the thread).

I thought it might be easier to just ask!

Point taken, although I'm not sure I have the same faith in those results of being more gentle (particularly when it didn't seem to work earlier in the thread).

I don't deny there are times when people ask annoying questions and you want to beat them over the head with a lense.

My personal favourite is people asking about a new camera, a good one.
    Next time I'd recommend a crap one.

Advertisement