Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bad Albums By Good Bands...Where Do You Stand?

Options
  • 15-03-2011 2:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭

23583.jpg
    queen_hot_space.png
    kiss_dynasty-262022-1276693098.jpeg
    180px-Megadeth-Risk.jpg

Four albums with just one thing in common - they all suck - or so say the collective fan-bases and music critics of the Internet, and to a further extent, the world.

Taste is a weird thing, especially when it comes to music, since we can't seem to decide on what we like or what the greatest album is but we can seem to say with certainty what the worst album is. The Darkness aside, the other three bands featured here all have long and fulfilling careers - toured the world several times over and their surviving members are now rich beyond their wildest dreams - yet fans can pick fault with any major artists catalogue and produce an album where it's universally agreed that ****ed up big style or one reason or another.

But do you agree, and not just with these albums, is there an album out there that you think is great - and yet the consensus is that the album is the worst of band x's career? Post your album artwork if you like, isn't music about individuality and expression, so tell us what albums you like that others just seem to hate?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Taking from the listed examples, I am actually a fan of Risk.

I like hard rock as well as metal, and Risk, similar to metallica's Load/reload, is actually a good rock album imo.

In general I would normally buy an album if it was by a band I liked even if I knew it was a "bad" album and form my own opinion. If i dont like it then I can keep it for posterity and collecting purposes (I like to own all albums of a band I like) and if I do like it then it goes on the MP3 etc.

EDIT: another album that I like that most hate is St Anger. The version on the DVD included in the album is how the album should have sounded, and portrayed the band at that time.

EDIT2: I also like trivium's "the crusade" album.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Queue a load of posts about Load, Reload and to a lesser extent Death Magnetic...

Edit: Heh, Max_Power1 got there first and reminded me that I'd left out St. Anger.

Malice wrote: »
    Queue a load of posts about Load, Reload and to a lesser extent Death Magnetic...

Edit: Heh, Max_Power1 got there first and reminded me that I'd left out St. Anger.
    Really resisting the temptation to turn this into a metallica discussion, but I dont think DM would be classed as a "bad album" or their "worst" album

Its probably the best Metallica album since 1991!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

I thought One Way Ticket was average, not awful. Hot Space was a brave step on Queens part which didn't pay off except for being really cheesy. I'm going to depart from the consensus though on Radioheads latest output since Ok Computer by saying its been uniformly mediocre to downright boring and uninspiring.

Max Power1 wrote: »
    Really resisting the temptation to turn this into a metallica discussion, but I dont think DM would be classed as a "bad album" or their "worst" album

Its probably the best Metallica album since 1991!
    Agreed, I probably meant to write St. Anger but my brain took it upon itself to filter that album out of my memory altogether :).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Some great bands have released loads of dodgy, and indeed a few downright bad albums - The Kinks (UK Jive) and Cheap Trick (The Doctor which I had the misfotune to buy unheard and unreviewed) spring to mind. The Doctor has one goodish track with trademark harmony vocals but the other 9 tracks are very poor and the prodcution stinks to high heaven, esp the drums.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

The Calling's first album. The one with the massive hit "Wherever You Will Go". Utter ***** album apart from that track.

There are a few others in the back of my mind that I can't think of right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Dark Artist

It's funny how you listed One Way Ticket to Hell as a bad album... I actually much prefer it to their first album, more diversity and great melodies in my opinion.

It's funny how you listed One Way Ticket to Hell as a bad album... I actually much prefer it to their first album, more diversity and great melodies in my opinion.
    Welcome back Dark Artist, we haven't seen you round these parts much recently :).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

I guess, every band has some kind of peak, or some kind of album which somehow can't be topped by all means.

For example Slayer's 'Reign in Blood'...ever since they could not really reach that kind of intensity, though they were never really bad either ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Testament1

Risk actually has some pretty decent tunes especially Prince Of Darkness. Personally while I may tend to view many bands albums as bad on a whole I can usually find at least one or two tracks on them that I enjoy.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Fly on the Wall by AC/DC deserves a mention, It has a few decent sounding tracks but terrible production and awful lyrics ruins any chance it has of being a decent album.

Testament1 wrote: »
    Risk actually has some pretty decent tunes especially Prince Of Darkness. Personally while I may tend to view many bands albums as bad on a whole I can usually find at least one or two tracks on them that I enjoy.

Odd, thats probably the only track I dislike off that album!

Just goes to show different strokes for different folks etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

You forgot Chinese Democracy!:pac::pac:

Seriously,i suppose the problem is that a band either debuts with a killer first album thus raising the bar straight away or has a collective output that is full of classics that everything else will be judged against. A band with a 20/30 year career is going to have stinkers along the way,it's almost impossible to keep the standard initially set going.

Sometimes a band becomes emboldened by it's success and decides that they want to tinker with their sound. Creatively they may feel it's the way to go but the fan base,there because of their original sound,becomes pissed off at the change.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

Am not a fan of AC/DC's Stiff Upper Lip. Two good songs (the title track and Give it up) and a load of mediocre filler. A really tired effort overall. I honestly thought it was going to be their last album - until their rebound with Black Ice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

Diabolus in Musica. where do i stand no such thing as a 'grower' imo; not past 2-3 listens anyhow. though maybe 2-3 tracks salvaged even as a fanboy wasn't having it - the success of indie pop / nu-metal left em gazoomped you'd think the britpop boom should'nt affect thrash but it did.
    Les Claypool even slagging oasis on the War at the Warfield DVD :o n it made the cut

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭hogflem

Possessed album "Beyond the gates",was very disappointing,so was Sodoms "Tapping the vein".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Risk has grown on me to be honest, but it's probably my least liked megadeth album. Mustaine more or less admitted that Risk could have finished Megadeth in his autobiography. An aptly named album all the same!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

I prefer it too..

Star Bingo wrote: »
    Diabolus in Musica. where do i stand no such thing as a 'grower' imo; not past 2-3 listens anyhow. though maybe 2-3 tracks salvaged even as a fanboy wasn't having it - the success of indie pop / nu-metal left em gazoomped you'd think the britpop boom should'nt affect thrash but it did.
    Les Claypool even slagging oasis on the War at the Warfield DVD :o n it made the cut
    Its the same as Load/Reload IMO.

A popular metal band going in a different direction. Its not going to be universally acclaimed.

No, DIM is not as good as reign in blood or Seasons but, the way i look at it, if DIM was a new band's first album people would be all over it imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

A popular metal band going in a different direction. Its not going to be universally acclaimed.

No, DIM is not as good as reign in blood or Seasons but, the way i look at it, if DIM was a new band's first album people would be all over it imo.

True. ReLoad is a stinker of an album, but I personally think that Load is terribly under-rated.

True. ReLoad is a stinker of an album, but I personally think that Load is terribly under-rated.
    That was always going to be the way though! Seeing as Reload is essentially the B sides and reject tracks from the load sessions.

Load/Reload could be one better album with a 75:25 ratio of load/reload material.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

probably the case if a debut; but it reeked more of Slayer being forced to reassess. the cover was most un-slayer too didn't quite judge it by its cover but if its claimed the worst album slayer have put out; they are doing alright

• Registered Users Posts: 16,834 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Post your album artwork if you like, isn't music about individuality and expression, so tell us what albums you like that others just seem to hate?

carcass_swansong.jpg

It seems Swansong was too much of a departure from their death and grind roots for many Carcass fans, but this has never stopped me from liking it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,414 ✭✭✭Riddle101

No mention of Metallica's worst album St Anger? thought that would have been the opener of this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

carcass_swansong.jpg

It seems Swansong was too much of a departure from their death and grind roots for many Carcass fans, but this has never stopped me from liking it.
    It was quite a toned down album in comparison wasn't it, it's all down to personal preference, if going into it and expecting an old school Carcass album you're bound to be slightly disappointed, but really it's a good album. It's more of a departure than a bad album in my opinion.

MorbidAngel_Heretic.jpg
    Morbid Angel's "Heretic"

One of my favourite bands around, but this album was quite bad I thought! No substance, the riffs weren't as brutal, savage, sick as Trey Azagthoth is expected to produce, also the lack of David Vincent was still a huge factor in how flat the album was. When reading over a few reviews on the net there was a hell of a lot of either fence sitting or sensationalist ****, too afraid to say the album isn't as good as most extreme metal fans would want it to be or they're throwing out nonsense.

Fnm_aoty.jpg
    Faith No More's "Album Of The Year"

Now I love Faith No More, they're probably my favourite band - full stop - so maybe I'm just being a bit of a biased fanboy wearing my rose-tinted spectacles, but I think Album Of The Year is a really good album. This is supposed to be a contributor to why FNM split, saying they've ran out of ideas, they've run their course and it's time to call it quits while they still have their awesome reputation still intact.

But I personally don't know where they're getting that from; it contains great heavy songs and lots of variety in styles, yet still keeping a decent quality to the music itself. I was once told it wasn't liked because it didn't sound like a Faith No More album, but, disregarding We Care A Lot, has anyone listened to a FNM album and thought "This is similar to the old album"?

Any who, I can't be arsed writing more on this subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

iron-maiden-fear-of-the-dark.jpg

Anyone remember this stinker? :p An album that spawned one of their most overrated songs and a hell of a lot of filler.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Riddle101 wrote: »
    No mention of Metallica's worst album St Anger? thought that would have been the opener of this thread.

I think to many St. Anger was a given so didn't even need to be mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

lord lucan wrote: »
    I think to many St. Anger was a given so didn't even need to be mentioned.

True enough, that and the slightest mention of Metallica tends to get the tread closed and a reminder there is the super-tread for any discussion of that particular band. I wanted to avoid this so I left them out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭AaronEnnis

Jaysus I must be the only person I know who likes the G and H Morbid Angel albums... let down by production and all of course, but I still think Heretic has some great tracks. Stricken Arise especially! Those filler tracks really sucked momentum from it though.

Of course, it doesnt touch their early stuff, not by a long shot. But I can safely say that not many of the bigger death metal bands' material does, except Immolation really.

And as regards Swansong...Ive no problem with them leaving their 'roots', I mean I even like half of Heartwork. But Swansong is just a terrible album whatever way you look at it, haha. Had it been released by any other band, It'd be populating the bargain bins by now!

Advertisement