Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bad Albums By Good Bands...Where Do You Stand?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

iron-maiden-fear-of-the-dark.jpg

Anyone remember this stinker? :p An album that spawned one of their most overrated songs and a hell of a lot of filler.

I like that album a lot. It was something different, and they're a band hugely guilty of sounding repetative, so it was welcome. I thought at least. I'd agree a few of the songs are fillerish but on a whole I like it.

I think Powerslave is an awful album though :pac: It only has around 3 good songs on it (aces high, 2 minutes to midnight and powerslave itself) the rest of the songs either being complete snorefests or just plain annoying (like back in the village, worst chorus ever)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

AaronEnnis wrote: »
    Jaysus I must be the only person I know who likes the G and H Morbid Angel albums... let down by production and all of course, but I still think Heretic has some great tracks. Stricken Arise especially! Those filler tracks really sucked momentum from it though.

Of course, it doesnt touch their early stuff, not by a long shot. But I can safely say that not many of the bigger death metal bands' material does, except Immolation really.

And as regards Swansong...Ive no problem with them leaving their 'roots', I mean I even like half of Heartwork. But Swansong is just a terrible album whatever way you look at it, haha. Had it been released by any other band, It'd be populating the bargain bins by now!
    Well I never actually knew Gateways To Annihilation was regarded as a bad album, I quite like Gateways, it's a very good album in my opinion, I've made ringtones out of Summoning Redemption and Opening Of The Gates sure. And there was nothing wrong with it's production I think, Heretic's production wasn't the worst thing about the album to be fair.

Production doesn't normally have that much a baring I think, like Domination's production was fucking awful, but it's a great all the same. I look forward to see what the I album brings, Illud Divinum Insanus it's called I think, be interesting to see it all goes with Vincent back where he belongs.

Still like Swansong though, my opinion has already been passed on that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

A lot of bands that I really like have had albums I don't like.

Maiden - Virtual XI, Fear of the dark, No prayer for the dying
    Metallica - St. Anger, ReLoad
    AC/DC - Fly on the Wall, Blow up your video
    Ash - Nu-clear Sounds
    Foo Fighters- One by One
    The Black Crowes - 3 snakes and one charm

and the first 2-3 Bruce Springsteen albums are awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

I like that album a lot. It was something different, and they're a band hugely guilty of sounding repetative, so it was welcome. I thought at least. I'd agree a few of the songs are fillerish but on a whole I like it.

I think Powerslave is an awful album though :pac: It only has around 3 good songs on it (aces high, 2 minutes to midnight and powerslave itself) the rest of the songs either being complete snorefests or just plain annoying (like back in the village, worst chorus ever)

Rime Of The Ancient Mariner, Flash Of The Blade, The Duellists?

and the first 2-3 Bruce Springsteen albums are awful.

:eek:

You think that Born To Run is awful. :( :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

+1 with Heritic. Awful, awful album. Enshrined by Grace is the only listenable song on the entire album.

I haven't spoken to anyone that would consider Gateways to Annhilation to be a bad album in any way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭RC88

AC/DC - Fly on the wall, Stiff upper lip
    Aerosmith - Draw the line
    Free - Highway
    Metallica - St.Anger

All 5 of these album could have been loads better

tought bout putting in chinese democracy but GN'R haven't been a good band since axl "firedicon12.gif" everyone and put his cover band together, so dosent really count

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Kess73 wrote: »
    :eek:

You think that Born To Run is awful. :( :eek:

I do yeah although I'm probably on my own. Take out the title track and maybe 10th avenue freeze out and there are no other songs I like. I know Thunder road and Jungleland are popular but they don't do it for me. I think The River was the 1st great album he did.

I do yeah although I'm probably on my own. Take out the title track and maybe 10th avenue freeze out and there are no other songs I like. I know Thunder road and Jungleland are popular but they don't do it for me. I think The River was the 1st great album he did.

At least we can agree on The River being a great album. :)

I'll probably get stoned to death for this and I am probably walking into an unnecessary wall of spite, but I feel oblidged to say it. :pac: I extreamly dislike Bruce Springsteen, I've never heard such a blatant rip off of another artist ever, just about half of Springsteen's discography is basically lifted from Bob Seger. Used to like Springsteen, but not anymore.

Sorry, go easy on me. *shutters & ducks*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

well.. good albums by bad bands, what say do we even give them the dark of night? :pac: see what i did there..

far too subjective even i'll admit that'd open a can of really negative worms

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Nailz wrote: »
    I'll probably get stoned to death for this and I am probably walking into an unnecessary wall of spite, but I feel oblidged to say it. :pac: I extreamly dislike Bruce Springsteen, I've never heard such a blatant rip off of another artist ever, just about half of Springsteen's discography is basically lifted from Bob Seger. Used to like Springsteen, but not anymore.

Sorry, go easy on me. *shutters & ducks*
    Everyone is entitled to their opinion but I cant see how anyone cant like Springsteen. Im not really a big fan, or even a fan of the soft/classic rock genre as a whole, but I'd give one or two albums a spin every once in a while. Great driving music imo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭yupyup7up

DIM was decent i thought but this is muck. Slayer are my favourite band too 51uWtDx0B8L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Max Power1 wrote: »
    Everyone is entitled to their opinion but I cant see how anyone cant like Springsteen. Im not really a big fan, or even a fan of the soft/classic rock genre as a whole, but I'd give one or two albums a spin every once in a while. Great driving music imo!
    I see where you coming from, and I do like a good bit of Springsteen's stuff, but you might as well call Bruce Springsteen 'Bob Seger', Seger is awesome and I love his music. And call me ignorant or whatever, but I don't take to artists who gain success of basically using someone elses work, Springsteen owes his career to Seger.

I know this is slightly off-topic but seeing as you mentioned it was great driving music, nothing beats a bit of Creedence Clearwater Revival on a sunny day. ;)

Same with people pointing the finger to other artists and shouting "Thief!" whilst being full of shįt and not having clue what they're talking about, which is why I don't like Anthony Kiedis, have no problem the rest of RHCP though. Actually, this reminds me...

Rhcp7.jpg
    Need I elaborate?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

yupyup7up wrote: »
    51uWtDx0B8L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

if as a Slayer fan you knew the bands / songs they covered on there beforehand, esp the D.I. ones to hear slayer giving em the nitro treatment was a gift

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭yupyup7up

Star Bingo wrote: »
    if as a Slayer fan you knew the bands / songs they covered on there beforehand, esp the D.I. ones to hear slayer giving em the nitro treatment was a gift

nah! just should never have released it!

I love every other album but this is crap...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Tzar Gringo

yupyup7up wrote: »
    nah! just should never have released it!

I love every other album but this is crap...

not like a pair of slayer fans are going to agree.

this is for the asshole AH mods that banned me.

or whoever had a piece of that pie, it was laced with arsenic. and it will repeat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

I'm going to depart from the consensus though on Radioheads latest output since Ok Computer by saying its been uniformly mediocre to downright boring and uninspiring.
    Why do you think Radiohead post-OK Computer is downright boring and uninspiring? Is it just because they moved away from traditional rock? Kid A and In Rainbows are two of the most inspiring albums of the past 11 years for me, they effortlessly eradicated the boundaries between rock and electronica and opened me up to another universe of music. If they're not your cup of tea you could at least respect them. Hail To The Thief I admit was slightly below par but it's still a good album.
    Powerslave is the best thing they've ever done. I do admit that 'Back In The Village' is the weakest track but it's certainly not awful, other than that every track is suburb and the band are on top of their game. And 'Rime Of The Ancient Mariner' is beyond epic.

Advertisement