Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Desire HD & Meteor - End of Life

• 15-03-2011 2:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 949 ✭✭✭

Long story short

Finally decided to move from PAYG to Bill Pay and get a Desire HD.

Went into Meteor they took a copy of my bills and my passport. Then he says to me "oh i sold the last one today" - i thought fair enough no prob.

No word back from them a week later so i ring to which i was just told today

"It's actually End of Life" so we won't be getting them back in as new HTC phones are coming out.

I'm sorry....but...WTF?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,481 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

M.J.M.C wrote: »
    Long story short

Finally decided to move from PAYG to Bill Pay and get a Desire HD.

Went into Meteor they took a copy of my bills and my passport. Then he says to me "oh i sold the last one today" - i thought fair enough no prob.

No word back from them a week later so i ring to which i was just told today

"It's actually End of Life" so we won't be getting them back in as new HTC phones are coming out.

I'm sorry....but...WTF?

That seems really really odd. I could understand that for the Desire (with Desire S on the way) but I can't understand why the Desire HD would be E.O.L. Only out a few months!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 949 ✭✭✭M.J.M.C

Yep very odd indeed.

I even said "The DESIRE HD is end of life are you for real?"

To which he said "yes"

To which i actually had to hang up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Saadyst

Obviously referring to his own store or even meteor not getting any more in... but that makes no sense to me just now, as the newer phones are not out yet... so why get rid of what's current? They can't get some in from anywhere else e.g. other meteor stores etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,510 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Yep very odd indeed.

I even said "The DESIRE HD is end of life are you for real?"

To which he said "yes"

To which i actually had to hang up.

Charming.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,856 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

It is still available online through Meteor, as it the original Desire.

• Advertisement

Saadyst wrote: »
    Obviously referring to his own store or even meteor not getting any more in... but that makes no sense to me just now, as the newer phones are not out yet... so why get rid of what's current? They can't get some in from anywhere else e.g. other meteor stores etc?

He originally told me "if we dont get it in stock next week, I will get one from other store for you"

I thought happy days, that's fair enough - now to be told "its end of life sorry"
    I wouldn't mind if he was being confused with the normal HTC Desire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭bd250110

End of Life does not necessarily imply that the manufacturer has discontinued the handset, rather that Meteor Retail (as opposed to Meteor, the network) have decided not to carry the handset anymore. This can be for any number of reasons, sometimes due to new handsets, new colour variants, or simply that the shelf-space is required for something else. Try carphone or tele-sales.

I got a friend from work to ring and check.

Same thing, the guy in meteor said they were all told today they are end of life. None of the meteor stores will be re-stocking he said.
    He checked the computer and none of the stores in Dublin have them - he said they won't be getting re-stocked.

I know I could probably get it online now, and for cheaper if i move to o2 pre-pay for a day - but after such a short time they are End of Life?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,948 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Phone Meteor direct sales, I got mine this way as shop never had any

Cheers scudzilla

I'm gonna try that now - is it a bad sign that its "end of life" already?

Rang Grafton St out of interest

2 in stock they said they havent heard anything about it being end of life - but it could happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭ongarite

The HD replacement model is due on sale next week in Europe so it sounds like Meteor are running down their stock until the HTC Incredible is available.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 headstar23

hi all.just wondering if anyone here has advice or opinions on emobile in regards to coverage etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭ongarite

What coverage & what etc with eMobile.
    Its an Eircom branded Meteor so it has same coverage as Meteor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,954 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭bungler

I rang meteor direct sales today and ordered a Desire and Desire HD and was told they will be delivered to me at the lastest Friday afternoon.

bungler wrote: »
    I rang meteor direct sales today and ordered a Desire and Desire HD and was told they will be delivered to me at the lastest Friday afternoon.

That's what they told me but i doubt it, i ordered it on the Thurs and they said i'd have it on Friday, didn't turn up, then it became Monday, then Tues, finally turned up a week later on the Thursday. There excuse was it was being dispatched.

If yours is the same just phone on Friday, then Monday, kick off a bit and you'll get 20euro off yer bill

scudzilla wrote: »
    That's what they told me but i doubt it, i ordered it on the Thurs and they said i'd have it on Friday, didn't turn up, then it became Monday, then Tues, finally turned up a week later on the Thursday. There excuse was it was being dispatched.

If yours is the same just phone on Friday, then Monday, kick off a bit and you'll get 20euro off yer bill

Its being dispatched as priority as i had a huge row with them over 2 wildfires so they know if the phones dont arrive by friday i will leave and go to O2, so they said if i dont have the phone by 3pm Friday they will send a courier to the depot and then deliver it to me

bungler wrote: »
    Its being dispatched as priority as i had a huge row with them over 2 wildfires so they know if the phones dont arrive by friday i will leave and go to O2, so they said if i dont have the phone by 3pm Friday they will send a courier to the depot and then deliver it to me

They tried that one on me too (The courier thing) :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Do you think it's still worth getting even if they are reporting its End Of Life in the shops?

EDIT:
    Spoke with the manager in Grafton St who confirmed there is 100% no sign of the DHD being End of Life and they guy in swords must be confused. Buying it tomorrow.

scudzilla wrote: »
    They tried that one on me too (The courier thing) :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Whooo hooo, due to all the crap i had with Meteor they decided to just get a courier to deliver today rather than dispatch it so i got the phone about 2 hours ago.
    Do you think it's still worth getting even if they are reporting its End Of Life in the shops?

EDIT:
    Spoke with the manager in Grafton St who confirmed there is 100% no sign of the DHD being End of Life and they guy in swords must be confused. Buying it tomorrow.

When i spoke with Meteor direct sales yesterday morning they also told me that the Desire HD and Desire are coming to the end of the line

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭kendragon

HTC Sensation is coming out and looks to be the successor to the desire Hd. It will still have the 4.3inch screen (although its technically a different size due to the fact that it is true widescreen) but will pack a dual core processor. Vodafone uk announced that they will be stocking this recently so I'm hopeful that Irish carriers will do the same soon.

Looks amazing

Link to the specs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 599 ✭✭✭mooneyd

Advertisement