Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just not the same.

Options
  • 15-03-2011 3:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭

I’ve been a live concert fan from way way way back, and have seen hundreds of rocks “greats.” Although I don’t go out of the way anymore, I’m lucky to have a little local place within a 30 minute drive called Penn’s Peak (here in the states). It has regular concerts with some of rock’s past legends - which you can see for cheap. This month the concerts include Yes, Molly Hatchet & Blackfoot, Thin Lizzy, and Slaughter (which I will attend just because my nephew’s band will be opening for Slaughter). And I’m really looking forward to seeing Uriah Heap for the first time in June.

Unfortunately, although I still enjoy seeing some of the old rock groups, I now find myself looking over the “current” band’s lineup before buying tickets. Seeing some of the groups recently has been quite a disappointment to say the least, due to changes in band members (especially lead singers at times). Foghat was one of the worse.

One thing I wish the bands had on their websites would be samples of their hits preformed by their current lineup. Although $20 - $50 per ticket (US) on average per concert isn't a lot, I would have rather saved the time and money. Some of the reincarnations of these groups just aren’t the same, and don’t cut it in my opinion.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Amerika wrote: »
    I’ve been a live concert fan from way way way back, and have seen hundreds of rocks “greats.” Although I don’t go out of the way anymore, I’m lucky to have a little local place within a 30 minute drive called Penn’s Peak (here in the states). It has regular concerts with some of rock’s past legends - which you can see for cheap. This month the concerts include Yes, Molly Hatchet & Blackfoot, Thin Lizzy, and Slaughter (which I will attend just because my nephew’s band will be opening for Slaughter). And I’m really looking forward to seeing Uriah Heap for the first time in June.

Unfortunately, although I still enjoy seeing some of the old rock groups, I now find myself looking over the “current” band’s lineup before buying tickets. Seeing some of the groups recently has been quite a disappointment to say the least, due to changes in band members (especially lead singers at times). Foghat was one of the worse.

One thing I wish the bands had on their websites would be samples of their hits preformed by their current lineup. Although $20 - $50 per ticket (US) on average per concert isn't a lot, I would have rather saved the time and money. Some of the reincarnations of these groups just aren’t the same, and don’t cut it in my opinion.
    Ive said it before and i'll say it again, bands that lose a lead singer are just not the same. Be it Queen minus freddie mercury or Lizzy minus Lynott, AIC minus Layne etc, its not the same band any more and they shouldnt use the same name

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭edhead

Max Power1 wrote: »
    Ive said it before and i'll say it again, bands that lose a lead singer are just not the same. Be it Queen minus freddie mercury or Lizzy minus Lynott, AIC minus Layne etc, its not the same band any more and they shouldnt use the same name

Where does "GN'R" fit in with that one? Brian Johnson & Ronnie James Dio RIP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

edhead wrote: »
    Where does "GN'R" fit in with that one? Brian Johnson & Ronnie James Dio RIP?
    Well obviously axl and his hired goons dont resemble anything like the real GNR so shouldnt use the name.

Brian Johnson is different IMO as the most successful album that ACDC had was after he joined the band.

RJD? As in for Black Sabbath? That was Ozzy's band, they didnt sound the same after he was fired.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

I completely disagree. Not gonna argue with Queen and Lizzy, but AIC with DuVall was quite good I thought when I saw them live. With a lot of bands there tends to be a lead member who may not be the singer. Iron Maiden are probably the best example of this, Paul Di'Anno was a damn good vocalist and their first two albums are great, but Dickinson is really considered a part of Maiden.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

I saw Yes with Benoit David and they were absolutely superb, quite possibly the best time I've seen them, and I saw the Anderson/Howe/Wakeman/Squire/White lineup.

And Marillion seem to be doing quite well with their new singer. :rolleyes:

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

I was at the Lizzy gig a few weeks ago and they were brilliant on the night. Brian and Scott have every right to use the name just as Axl, David Gilmour, David Coverdale have the right to carry the band name on. For me I love the music and I will go to see the bands and make up my own mind. I haven't seen the new Yes line up but if they come back I will definitely go as others have recommended them. So many bands over the years have lost imporant members but carry on and I for one am so glad they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

I saw Yes with Benoit David and they were absolutely superb, quite possibly the best time I've seen them, and I saw the Anderson/Howe/Wakeman/Squire/White lineup.
    Agreed, they were superb at the Olympia in 09. Excellent gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

rednik wrote: »
    I was at the Lizzy gig a few weeks ago and they were brilliant on the night. Brian and Scott have every right to use the name just as Axl, David Gilmour, David Coverdale have the right to carry the band name on. For me I love the music and I will go to see the bands and make up my own mind. I haven't seen the new Yes line up but if they come back I will definitely go as others have recommended them. So many bands over the years have lost imporant members but carry on and I for one am so glad they do.

imo they don't...lizzy was mostly lynott, gnr is not axl, smashing pumpkins is not billy corgan solo, david gilmour isnt pink floyd (he isnt even an original member) ...cant comment on coverdale as i think he's a cheeseball....

imo they don't...lizzy was mostly lynott, gnr is not axl, smashing pumpkins is not billy corgan solo, david gilmour isnt pink floyd (he isnt even an original member) ...cant comment on coverdale as i think he's a cheeseball....

It's all subjective. I enjoy going to gigs and I have seen a lot of bands with various line ups and most of them are great. The present GNR line up probably is the most controversial band at the moment and that's without Axl's antics. For me it's about the music and hearing it live.

AS for Dave Gilmour, he joined the band in 1967 when Sid was no longer able to continue, saying he is not an original member is valid to a degree but considering the amount of work he put in compared to Rick or Nick gives him every right to use the name. Brian Downey has been in Lizzy from the start and Scott for a hell of a long time and the band was not just about Phil although he was the main man.

David Coverdale a cheeseball, I take it you have never seen him live especially in the classic Whitesnake line up of Murray, Moody Marsden. One of the greatest live bands ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

RJD? As in for Black Sabbath? That was Ozzy's band, they didnt sound the same after he was fired.

Heaven and Hell kicks ass, my favourite Sabbath album

• Advertisement

Heaven and Hell kicks ass, my favourite Sabbath album

From start to finish a great album, not a bad track on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fobster

No chance Black Sabbath was "Ozzy's band", you merely have the Ozzy-era and the Dio-era. Both eras produced great albums. Sabbath isn't any one person's band and if it was it would be Iommi's :P

Advertisement