Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to level a section of my garden?

Options
  • 15-03-2011 3:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭

I'm currently building a play area in my garden of about 20sqm. The plan is to lay a weed control fabric and cover with rubber mulch. The ground is currently covered in grass and relatively flat but not flat enough. Any recommendations on the best way to go about leveling the area before laying the weed control fabric?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

TheGrump wrote: »
    I'm currently building a play area in my garden of about 20sqm. The plan is to lay a weed control fabric and cover with rubber mulch. The ground is currently covered in grass and relatively flat but not flat enough. Any recommendations on the best way to go about leveling the area before laying the weed control fabric?

Remove the excess soil/grass!:D

As a play area, not such a good idea to have a raised edge, better instead to cut into slope, using the gradient at the opposite end to set level.

BTW, will be difficult to keep rubber mulch in place even on a small play area of 20sqm, would you not fit rubber matting/tiles?

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭TheGrump

I was looking at rubber matting but couldn't find them anywhere within my price range, budget is fairly tight. I can get a good deal on the rubber mulch so I'll probably go with that. If you know a good place to get rubber tiles though PM me. Thanks again, you are helpful as always

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

are you in dublin?
    i recently saw secondhand rubber matting - about two inches thick, so good and heavy - in mac's salvage warehouse in islandbridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 00D91

Im planning on doing the same this summer and was going to use bark mulch for the ground but rubber mulch could be an option also as i also have a tight budget to do everything.

If you dont ming me asking, Where have you sourced it and how much are you paying ??

Pm me with details if you prefer.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭TheGrump

After a day of digging my back aches but the area is now flat:D
    Just have to lay the membrane and then the rubber mulch. there is a wall around 3 sides so hopefully that will keep in most of the mulch. Going to put a small white picket fence on the 4th side to help keep it in.

PM sent with the details of where I got it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement