Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WOW and youngsters

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

Yeah, nice little feature from blizzard really. You'd be amazed how all those minutes/hours seem to stack up fast over a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 MountainDew

Ok, I wouldn't let a 10 year old play WoW in any case. Not primarily for its addictiveness but because of the people that play this game online (strangers). It is a MMORPG which requires player interaction at a high level to make it rewarding and fun.

My own experience showed me that 10 year olds are not very good at this and when I've had young kids in the group, they either consistently mess-up or are just a wreckhead to the rest of us. This always leads to rage-quits and alot of flaming when patience runs out. Which is not what a ten year old should be exposed to imho.

WoW playerbase is at times very insensitive and elitist and alot are just trolls. So for me the addiction could be dealt with by cutting off the internet etc, but I urge you not to let him play because if you played yourself, you would in no way want a child of that age playing.

Not to mention the game is actually pretty complex and of course time demanding.

That's my thoughts as a player of 2 years or so.

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

Ok, I wouldn't let a 10 year old play WoW in any case. Not primarily for its addictiveness but because of the people that play this game online (strangers). It is a MMORPG which requires player interaction at a high level to make it rewarding and fun.

My own experience showed me that 10 year olds are not very good at this and when I've had young kids in the group, they either consistently mess-up or are just a wreckhead to the rest of us. This always leads to rage-quits and alot of flaming when patience runs out. Which is not what a ten year old should be exposed to imho.

WoW playerbase is at times very insensitive and elitist and alot are just trolls. So for me the addiction could be dealt with by cutting off the internet etc, but I urge you not to let him play because if you played yourself, you would in no way want a child of that age playing.

Not to mention the game is actually pretty complex and of course time demanding.

That's my thoughts as a player of 2 years or so.

:cool:
    I think you underestimate kids. My 10 year old son owns PvP. I was watching him one day laughing at people trying to take the flag off him. And, he knew all the HC's tactics before Cat came out from watching the video's on youtube. He was my little DBM sitting next to me when I had to run them. And, no he's not addicted. He plays a few hours on the weekends and even then he gets bored of it after a while. You can't wrap them in cotton wool then throw them into the real world.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

And, he knew all the HC's tactics before Cat came out from watching the video's on youtube

Addicted for sure, when i was playing and raiding new bosses i didnt even bother to do that :pac: :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

Changing times, my son spends more time on youtube than he ever did watching TV. Looking for "glitches" as he calls them in games. I don't get it at all but sure there ye go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭StinkyMunkey

A fellow WoW player i know lets his son play WoW, he is now 13 or 14, he has been playing since he is 12. Truth be known, he is alot more mature than half the people ive played with in the past.

I have 2 sons, the eldest is 5, if WoW is still around when he gets older im going to let him play. But that said ill be monitoring the time played and people he plays with.

Playing online will never beat a healthy social life. Making sure your child just adds a bit of online play to other activities during the week, is not going to make a major impact on his lifestyle.

Everything in moderation - even a social life :D.

Advertisement