Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

3-4 metre dish

• 15-03-2011 3:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 125 ✭✭

Hi All,

Looking to pick some brains here, I've got access to a 3 or 4 metre dish and wondering if I can make use of it.

The dish was left on our roof and is no longer in use, it was being used to transmit data to a satellite for distribution from there. My question is: can I remove the lnb that is on it and install my own? I then need to point it to IntelSat 10-02.

Cheers for any help,

Bing

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭Apogee

Are you sure it's 3-4M? Because 4M is a substantial piece of kit - in terms of scale, looks like this

MountedSM.jpg

You can replace the existing feedhorn, but a normal home LNBF is designed for an offset dish, rather than a prime focus dish, so you won't get as much out of the dish as you could.

What model is the dish? Many of the larger ones come with separate, specially designed feedhorns which can be fitted to LNBs, like this:

80.jpg

What channel are you looking for on i10-02? Could you post a few pics of the dish?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 125 ✭✭Bing_IRL

Hey Apogee,
    Been up to have a look and I did overestimate a bit. It's probably about 2.5-3m. There's a 1m and sky dish beside for comparison.

Here are the pics:
    dishh.jpg
    lnbp.jpg

I want to use it for cinema content - opera, theatre, etc. It may even be used for regular content as well.

You think this one might be suitable?

Better pics:
    photo1pc.jpg
    photo2lrq.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭John896

It`s a 2.4m Channel Master Dish,the same dish i use for 36 East W7 Satellite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

By ecky Thump!

It's big.

151676.jpg
    You want a really decent meter to peak that!

I took liberty of adjusting Gamma to make smaller dishes visible and highlight Sky dish in magenta.

Used on wrong satellite, you overload the LNB.

It's for Two way use (VSAT). Bigger dish for poorer footprint or less power on transmitter.

It should be OK http://www.lyngsat.com/intel1002.html
    for Spot 1 and Spot 3 Ku Band, but not Spot 2.

you need a professional LNB, re-use the existing horn as it matches the dish. As Apogee says, you waste a lot if you use a domestic LNBF on it.

The existing LNB is only one polarity, and may even be only high OR low band.

It all screws to bits. There is a Ortho-transducer 1st, that separates the H and V from the circular feed on Horn. The existing LNB can't connect to Horn as it's rectangular feed. There is a filter section between the H/V splitter and LNB. The big box is BUC (block Up converter, converts the 950MHz to 1700MHz IF to 14MHz to 18MHz and 1W to 4W Transmit Power Amplifier, depending on what satellite service it was for). The LNB is always opposite polarity to Transmitter and about 3 to 4 GHz lower in Frequency (regular 10.7 to 12.6 Ku BAnd downlink)

• Advertisement

WOW. My head just exploded! I guess I was a bit nieve. I figured I could just remove the existing lnb from the 1m, attach it to the big dish and then swing it around to boost the poor signal levels I'm getting from the 1m.

The channel is coming from Spot 1. It's not constantly live, just for specific times. I've not been having trouble with the signal but only getting out (max) about 30% level.

It looks like I've got a bit of research to be doing!

I'd say that it looks more like a 1.8M dish when you see it relative to the feedhorn, though the angled pic makes it more difficult to be sure.

http://www.satellitesuperstore.com/dishes-motors2.htm#andrews18mot

The feedhorn is probably C120 flange (interface/opening), so you should be able to just use a C120 Universal LNB. That is the similar to the setup John896 has in #5.

I went and measured the dish. It's definately a 2.4m. Here's a more detailed pic of the lnb. It's mount is approx 30mm diameter.
    photo8ju.jpg

The feedhorn looks like this one, so it's probably C120 alright:

cmfeed.jpg

So you need a C120 Universal LNB (e.g. Invacom or Inverto)
    invertosinglec120.gif

And the final thing should look something like this
    feedspain.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 810 ✭✭✭muincav

Have you seen that episode of "Only Fools and Horses" ???
    Hopefully you are not near any Airports with that piece of kit...lol...:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement