Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Residents objecting to UPC groundworks?

• 15-03-2011 3:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Just moved to glenageary/dalkey area, contacted UPC about broadband (should be available, other people on the street have it), but some cables need upgrading. Several weeks later we contact UPC again only to discover that the residents association have objected to groundworks.

I'm really struggling to understand the rationale behind this. The cables are already there for UPC. Is it just a case of the Irish object-to-everything culture?

Until I looked at the alternatives I hadn't realised just how bad the broadband situation still is. We wouldn't use a landline so we are faced with paying double the amount for a (probably inferior) ADSL service, or go with a 3G connection that probably isn't good enough for skype...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

I am in the exact same position in Cork. Neighbours refuse to allow UPC in for upgrades. Its driving me NUTS!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭rob808

gavjd wrote: »
    Just moved to glenageary/dalkey area, contacted UPC about broadband (should be available, other people on the street have it), but some cables need upgrading. Several weeks later we contact UPC again only to discover that the residents association have objected to groundworks.

I'm really struggling to understand the rationale behind this. The cables are already there for UPC. Is it just a case of the Irish object-to-everything culture?

Until I looked at the alternatives I hadn't realised just how bad the broadband situation still is. We wouldn't use a landline so we are faced with paying double the amount for a (probably inferior) ADSL service, or go with a 3G connection that probably isn't good enough for skype...

That suck didn't think people could object to road work without good reason it be bad now if the new government did FTTC or FTTH only to find out that resident association block it in your area.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Why not ask the residents association concerned what UPC are proposing and what are their objections to those proposals?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 239 ✭✭oisin

UPC upgraded my area in Lucan recently. I don't recall seeing any notification beforehand. I presume they got permission from the Council for groundworks. I have to say they did the work very speedily and with a minimum of disruption and reinstated all the roads and footpaths to a high standard.

Have to agree with Oisin, cable was recently installed in my area, the work was done quickly and there was no mess left behind when the work was completed...

I dont understand why some agency with not agree with the groundworks!?

All UPC are trying to do is improve the service the specific area! I cant help but think its just some older people who don't use the internet, and only watch RTE/TV3 ect that are complaining...!!

• Advertisement

Have to agree with Oisin, cable was recently installed in my area, the work was done quickly and there was no mess left behind when the work was completed...

I dont understand why some agency with not agree with the groundworks!?

All UPC are trying to do is improve the service the specific area! I cant help but think its just some older people who don't use the internet, and only watch RTE/TV3 ect that are complaining...!!

They probably don't have any tv's at all!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

In built up areas UPC connect houses by running cable from house roof to house roof. At regular points they have a junction box (usually under the eaves). To compensate the owner of the house where that box is installed gets a discount on their services.

However if the owner refuses UPC access to replace or install a box then any house "downstream" is left without service or reduced service. Bit if a pain and a bit selfish in my opinion. It's not like a mobile mast is going up in the front garden!

It is a waste of time to be speculating. The simple answer is to approach the local residents' association and ask them what exactly is the position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Denisoftus

Any news on the installation?

Advertisement