Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Patricks Day fun?

Options
  • 15-03-2011 4:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭

Hiya,

Whats everyone doing for Paddys day? I hate going to the parade, cant stand the squash trying to see over peoples heads!

Anyone one got other ideas or fun things to do for paddys day?

My daughter is 8yrs btw :)

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

We are going to invite friends for breakfast then go to our local parade and then to a friends house for dinner:)
    One of my favourite days of the year as a child was Paddys day,my mother would bring me to the parade in Dublin city and then to Flanaghans for lunch.
    I am dreading when mine are old enough to want to go to the big parade!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

We are planning a pj day with movies and games.
    Town is way too much hassle and we'd all rather stay at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭maameeo

Moonbeam, mind me asking where your local parade is?

id love to go to something small away from town but its hard to find out whats on!

i think bray would be fun but we're so far away and it seems the dart isnt going north to south and vica versa on that day, theyre closing the tracks around tara. :/

I agree Sharrow, town is just a big ball of stress!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Local parade for us. Then the local GAA club for a couple of pints and kids entertainment.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

maameeo wrote: »
    Moonbeam, mind me asking where your local parade is?

id love to go to something small away from town but its hard to find out whats on!

i think bray would be fun but we're so far away and it seems the dart isnt going north to south and vica versa on that day, theyre closing the tracks around tara. :/

I agree Sharrow, town is just a big ball of stress!

Maynooth.
    It isn't like the city parade but it is good fun:)
    Maybe bring your daughter on a day trip out to one of the smaller parades?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Our two little ones are two small to bring to the parade in the city centre, so I think we'll possibly just bring them to nan and grandads because it's one of grandads rare days off these days, and the older one misses him now that he's back working full time.

Moonbeam wrote: »
    Maynooth.

Make sure to say hi - I'll be walking with the Educate Together school. My girls will be in the parade. Twin blonde girls will be harassing me so you'll be able to spot me easily I'm sure :)

We might walk with the play school depending on how lazy I am and how excited my small girl is:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭bulmersgal

is the maynooth parade any good, i was think of going to the celbridge one

Is the Celbridge one going ahead?
    They were short volunteers.

The Maynooth one is as good as any small town one that I have seen.
    The play ground here rocks though:)

• Advertisement

The Maynooth parade is good fun. Great atmosphere about the town. We'll probably head up to the GAA club for a drink afterwards - they usually have some kids entertainment up there. Lets just hope the snow keeps away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭ynul31f47k6b59

I hate the parade, my OH is big into the vintage scene so he's always gone at 7am on Paddy's morning to load stuff for 3 parades. He'll be away until about 8-9pm, so it's much too long a day for me and our son to go - he's only 6 and gets bored after an hour (as do I, being honest). I'm not overly gone on parades either, so I've bought some popcorn and we'll watch some DVDs (or the parade on TV if my son wants to), make some Shamrock decorations or paint pictures, then my Mum is coming up to babysit at 8pm so I'll go out to the local pub for a traditional irish music session and meet up with the OH for a few pints :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Fittle

We are going to the cinema (Rango) and Eddie Rockets - at 8, he has finally realised that the parade bores him silly:D:D. Eddie Rockets is a real treat for him and I usually can't afford it;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 tphelan

Kilcock will be doing some rubber duck races and water zorbing in the canal after the parade. Will also have free bouncy castle, free face painting, free pony rides, free petting zoo etc in the square if anyone was looking for a small village atmosphere. More details here http://ourkilcock.ie/2011/03/st-patricks-day-2011-the-annual-duck-race/

Anyone some good recommendations for things to do in Dublin on Friday with a 2 and 5 year old?

Macros42 - congrats! the school were great:)
    My small girl got a but over excited and ran in front of their banner instead of with it:)

Hope everyone had enjoyable days:)

They won the best community entry. The whole school are delighted. I was the guy in the ireland rugby shirt laying out the white sheet on the ground. Great craic up in the gaa club afterwards too.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭mmalaka

My daughter is in Educate Together school...

152111.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭maameeo

we ended up going to the plex in coolock,dublin and spending a fortune!
    bowling, zoo plex and pool and spent over 50 euro :( with vouchers!!

but came home a baked a cake, lovely day :)

I got no pics of my little on in the parade but got loads of the parade as himself had the camera will pass on the et pics that I got to you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement