Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm uploading but not downloading

• 15-03-2011 4:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭

Now it might not be UPC, but this is annoying me heavily.

I'm running Network Meter on my Acer Win7 laptop, 50% of the time I can download files, open internet pages and upload stuff too at relatively high speeds that my 8Mb line can carry. The other 50% of the time I have no download speeds at all, 0 Kbit/s or barely less than a kilobyte/second. But my network meter is showing that I'm uploading, and have connection to the internet.

My girlfriends laptop, Toshiba/Vista has no connection problems, no slow speeds, constant downloading capabilities and normal browsing.

I have tried to find updates for my Broadcom Wireless card, but unfortunatly I can't find anything newer than 2008.

Anyone have any ideas to what this could be?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭rob808

Now it might not be UPC, but this is annoying me heavily.

I'm running Network Meter on my Acer Win7 laptop, 50% of the time I can download files, open internet pages and upload stuff too at relatively high speeds that my 8Mb line can carry. The other 50% of the time I have no download speeds at all, 0 Kbit/s or barely less than a kilobyte/second. But my network meter is showing that I'm uploading, and have connection to the internet.

My girlfriends laptop, Toshiba/Vista has no connection problems, no slow speeds, constant downloading capabilities and normal browsing.

I have tried to find updates for my Broadcom Wireless card, but unfortunatly I can't find anything newer than 2008.

Anyone have any ideas to what this could be?

Have you try changing wireless channels

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

How do I do that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

UPC throttle your line under certain circumstances.

From what I can tell a sustained upload will do this. Are you running a bittorrent client or anything similar?

Do you have both your girlfriend's laptop and yours on at the same time while you're testing this?

Yeah, using uTorrent from time to time. But even with this turned off I get say problem. Using my girlfriends laptop, she doesnt have the same problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭generalmiaow

Sounds like a problem with your machine. Assuming you're using wireless, I would disable that and plug into your router with an Ethernet cable to see if that works (you will have got one of these with the modem). That would narrow it down.

• Advertisement

What programs are running when you are uploading?

If your girlfriends comp has no problems while yours does, it would suggest its a problem with you machine...

Has it happened since day one of getting your comp?

Sounds like a problem with your machine. Assuming you're using wireless, I would disable that and plug into your router with an Ethernet cable to see if that works (you will have got one of these with the modem). That would narrow it down.

I will have to try this tomorrow connecting directly to the router. Actually, being in my own place tomorrow, so I will see if I have the same problem with the wireless connection too.

UPC could be straddling my connection, but it's intermitant.

What programs are running when you are uploading?

If your girlfriends comp has no problems while yours does, it would suggest its a problem with you machine...

Has it happened since day one of getting your comp?

The uploading is on idle, I'm not uploading. Right now it jumps to maybe 20-30Kbit/s, programs running = WinPatrol, AVG AntiVirus, Firefox.

It;s only happened in the last 2 weeks. At first it was an inconvenience, now its an annoyance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭generalmiaow

I will have to try this tomorrow connecting directly to the router. Actually, being in my own place tomorrow, so I will see if I have the same problem with the wireless connection too.

UPC could be straddling my connection, but it's intermitant.

Good things to test. I doubt UPC are throttling you if your girlfriend's computer is having no problems - you are NAT'd behind their router and I don't think they can apply policies to individual machines in this way (if they somehow did, you could just change your IP or MAC)
    A few ideas spring to mind:

Incorrect TCP/IP settings (eg an IP conflict)
    Wireless issues, like as congested channel
    Firewall inconsistencies or malware

All of these could cause intermittent faults. Your tests will show which. While you're at it, type ipconfig /all into a cmd window and paste the results here, before and after trying a cable - that will help others see the issue.

Advertisement