Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Q about grommets in Hermitage clinic

Options
  • 15-03-2011 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi there,

Does anyone have experience with getting grommets at the Hermitage clinic? DS (21mths) is getting them tomorrow. We've to be there at 6:30am but we weren't told when the procedure would be. I called the consultant's office but the assistant couldn't give me any info. Do they usually do the young kids early? DD got them a few years ago, but we lived in the US then so I don't know if it's the same here - she was first on the list then because she was the youngest one being seen that day. I hate the thought of DS having to wait for hours, especially since he'll be starving having not eaten since previous day! Surely they will take that into account? If anyone has any experience, I'd love to hear.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭KazDub

My little fella got grommets there last year. Ok, from what I remember they do the children first, due to them being so small and fasting. Go and register first of all, allow time to fill in some forms. Then you'll be brought to wait in the day ward. Bring pyjamas for your son to wear during the procedure. You will then be brought to the waiting room outside the operating theatre. There are toys there for kids to play with. You'll probably meet your consultant/surgeon there too, along with the anesthetist and some of the nurses. You then get 'gowned up' and bring your son into the theatre. You'll have to hold him on your lap as they give him gas to knock him out. If you're like me, you'll then fight hard to hold it together. It's not a nice experience having to leave your kid in an operating theatre. Tell the day ward nurses that you're going for a coffee upstairs. There's free wifi there, if that's any use. You'll have just about enough time for coffee and the whole thing will be over. My son got a nice bowl of weetabix afterwards, after he'd woken up properly and stopped crying from waking up in a strange room surrounded by people he didn't know. He recovered straight away and it was like he hadn't had anything strange or unusual happen to him that day. Kids are great at stuff like this. Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 jccf2003

KazDub, that's VERY helpful, thanks a million :) When DD got it done we were really surprised at how fast it was (like you said, just about enough time for a coffee), and that she was right as rain after her nap that day as if nothing had happened, but we were really worried too about the anaesthetic. We weren't allowed go with her to get the anaesthetic though which was really upsetting - they just took her away while she was awake (she did a lot better with that than I did). I'm delighted that we might be able to be with DS til he's asleep, but at the same time I think it'll be even more scary... It's also brilliant that there are toys there. That wasn't the case last time, and their own toys don't hold their attention for all that long when you're waiting a while.

Thank you SO much :)

Advertisement