Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC and VAT

• 15-03-2011 4:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭

Does their conditions not stipulate "Prices include VAT" ? so why am I being charged VAT on my bill along with the subscription charge "as advertised"

anyone else get this?? this is my first bill with them

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Nollog

They charge you at the same time every month, so you're being charged the month+the days until the day they next bill you.
    Same happened to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭dogpile

Yeah I expected the 1st bill to be a little higher but VAT @21% is showing up on the BB and stand alone charge......so what I signed up for at 41.89 pm is totaled as 50.69 ?

I dont get charged for VAT on my bill. Porbably just a once off.

But I got charged just like /\/ollog on the first month.

Eg:
    Your bill is 7th Of month. You get UPC installed on 25th of previous month,the amount from 25th-7th will be put on your first bill.

That may be your extra charge?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 300 ✭✭paddyk

Subscriptions 32.02 38.74
    Charges for this period 32.02 38.74
    VAT Amount 6.72

Above is taken from my E-Bill. I can't get it to copy properly.

I have TV only + Digital plus. Bill 32.08 before Vat. Bill then says VAT 6.72

On their site they advertise what I have for 35 Euro, Hoping BroadBand is available in my area in a couple of weeks, Got the Letter stating 12 weeks about 6 weeks ago, otherwise I would query this.

I dont get charged for VAT on my bill. Porbably just a once off.

But I got charged just like /\/ollog on the first month.

Eg:
    Your bill is 7th Of month. You get UPC installed on 25th of previous month,the amount from 25th-7th will be put on your first bill.

That may be your extra charge?

This is how it looks on my bill

Standalone charge 7.77 21.0% 9.40
    Fibre Power BB 20mb 34.12 21.0% 41.29
    total for internet 41.89 50.69

equipment activation fee 24.79 21.0% 30.00

credits -16.53
    Correction other charges -3.47
    Outstanding balance -20.00

so I really haven't a clue if I'm being charged with VAT or not, guess I'll have to wait for the 2nd bill

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

dogpile wrote: »

credits -16.53

so I really haven't a clue if I'm being charged with VAT or not, guess I'll have to wait for the 2nd bill

You are being charged 21%VAT and always will be. (unless of course the government increase or decrease the standard rate of VAT, most likely going to be increased over the next few years)

You are being charged 21%VAT and always will be. (unless of course the government increase or decrease the standard rate of VAT, most likely going to be increased over the next few years)

That's my original point, their terms and conditions clearly state *prices include VAT*........I can only think the reductions on the bill are the VAT somehow taken back off, I dunno

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

credits -16.53

I can never understand why companies sent out bills that are not clear and need to be posted on a forum for help to understand them. (and of course UPC are not alone in this by any means)

With all the surveys they do you would think that they would ask people if they can understand the bloody bill!!!!

Is there any time period detailed on this bill?

How is a customer supposed to know what the credits relate to?

How is the customer supposed to know what "other charges" are being corrected?

Surely it is not that difficult for a company to anticipate such questions and make sure that a customer does not have to ask them by issuing a proper easily understandable bill?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

You will always pay VAT, and consumer prices must include the VAT (by law), but they will always break down the charges on the bill to show the price ex VAT and inc VAT. You are not being charged extra, they are just showing the amount of VAT on the bill.
    151815.jpg
    This is my current bill. The broadband charge is €42 including VAT, which is correct, plus the standalone charge then which is shown with and without VAT.

Your bill is for more than 1 month, so that's why the amounts are larger. On your second bill, when it is for exactly 1 month, it should look similar to mine.

jor el wrote: »
    You will always pay VAT, and consumer prices must include the VAT (by law), but they will always break down the charges on the bill to show the price ex VAT and inc VAT. You are not being charged extra, they are just showing the amount of VAT on the bill.
    151815.jpg
    This is my current bill. The broadband charge is €42 including VAT, which is correct, plus the standalone charge then which is shown with and without VAT.

Your bill is for more than 1 month, so that's why the amounts are larger. On your second bill, when it is for exactly 1 month, it should look similar to mine.

So what are you actually paying pm 41.11 or 49.74??

also how is BB charge at 42 euro correct when it's advertised as 34 and "prices include VAT"

@Dub45 from looking at their conditions it looks like credit relates to online order 20 euro

the bill is dated from 14/3/2011 to 28/3......was installed on the 8th

• Advertisement

also how is BB charge at 42 euro correct when it's advertised as 34 and "prices include VAT"

49.74, as she explained in her post. She is a consumer, and must pay VAT.

Look closely, she's on 25mb, which is unlisted so where did you get the price?

jor el: You should switch to 30mbit, it's the same price as you're paying now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

@Dub45 from looking at their conditions it looks like credit relates to online order 20 euro

He's paying 49.74, as stated on the bill. The 41.11 is the price before VAT, also as stated.

Fiber Broadband 20MB is 34 euro, this user has 25MB...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭BaronVon

I'd say the standalone charge could be the one you omitted.

Broadband is €42, when you have TV package.

Standalone charge of €7.50 if you have no tv package

Ok I'm going round in circles, look here http://www.upc.ie/broadband/twenty/

20mb Fibre BB is priced at 34 euro, bottom of conditions clearly states "prices include VAT" ...so what am I missing?

when signing up I was sent an email saying my monthly bill for BB + standalone charge would amount to 41.74, no mention of over 7euro VAT

20mb Fibre BB is priced at 34 euro, bottom of conditions clearly states "prices include VAT" ...so what am I missing?

when signing up I was sent an email saying my monthly bill for BB + standalone charge would amount to 41.74, no mention of over 7euro VAT
    Are you reading?

What Date does it say on your bill?
    How many days were you connected before the 20th of the month?

/\/ollog wrote: »
    Are you reading?

What Date does it say on your bill?
    How many days were you connected before the 20th of the month?

Are you?

posted it above .....the bill is dated from 14/3/2011 to 28/3......was installed on the 8th

I pay €49.74, which is correct. The old 20Mbps was €42. That is now the 30Mbps price, but I was auto-upgraded to 25Mbps. The price remains the same. The standalone charge of €7.74 is for having no TV service.
    /\/ollog wrote: »
    4jor el: You should switch to 30mbit, it's the same price as you're paying now.

12 month contract, which I've no interest in getting into. 25Mbps is more than enough, and I don't get that anyway, so I also won't get 30Mbps. It's fine, and I'm over my initial 12 months so can cancel if needs be at any time.

Your bill is not for 1 month though, so you are not going to be billed for 1 months use. The €34 excludes the stand alone charge for having no TV too.

This will be your monthly charge, when you get a single months bill. Stop talking about VAT though, as you're only confusing the issue. VAT is always charged, but it is not an extra. You are confused by your current bill because it is a partial bill, and there are discounts applied. You are not going to get a bill for €41.74 until you get your first full months bill (next month).

Are you?

posted it above .....the bill is dated from 14/3/2011 to 28/3......was installed on the 8th

Then the charges from the 8th until the 14th are what you're seeing as an extra. This is not VAT, it's the charge from when it was installed until when the billing cycle begins. Why your bill period is for 2 weeks is not clear though.

This will be your monthly charge, when you get a single months bill. Stop talking about VAT though, as you're only confusing the issue. VAT is always charged, but it is not an extra. You are confused by your current bill because it is a partial bill, and there are discounts applied. You are not going to get a bill for €41.74 until you get your first full months bill (next month).

Well that answers my original question, I did put off contacting them and asking because I knew the first bill would be muddled with overlapping dates....we await the 2nd bill :D

Then the charges from the 8th until the 14th are what you're seeing as an extra. This is not VAT, it's the charge from when it was installed until when the billing cycle begins. Why your bill period is for 2 weeks is not clear though.

I think I have it now, the 28 is the payment date for this bill

the itemized billing is dating 8/3 to 13/4....which explains the extra

clear as mud

• Advertisement

clear as mud

welcome to the wonderful world of UPC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

On that note, their plan to cause consumers to falsely associate UPC offerings with real (FTTH) fibre service is working well.
    testicle wrote: »
    Fiber Broadband 20MB
    20mb Fibre BB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 EddieQ

@dogpile there is €7+ per month if you don't have tv with them.

I just got my first bill and it is for 20mb Fibre Power and Home phone. The bill is exactly what they stated it would be, but with 21% more tagged on. I tried to phone them but they only open during working hours mon-fri.

The broadband is amazing and the phone line is crystal, so I will wait until I speak to them on Monday before losing it with them. One very odd thing is that there ins no mention of a cooling off period on the site, which I believe must be given by law.

Advertisement