Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

What do I need for my Campervan

• 15-03-2011 4:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 134 ✭✭

Hi, bought a camper just before Christmas...its been laid up over the winter but now spring is here, we're(wfe+3kids) getting excited about up coming season and we plan to maximize the campervans use...

So here is my question to all the experienced folks out there

What key items/purchases etc would you recommend I get e.g. picnic tables and chairs...external BBQ....wet suits (rain gear)...bike carrier....

Basically what could you not do without (bare in mind I have 3 kids to also keep entertained over the campervan trips (morning-day-night)

thanks in advance

T

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

All of the above,
    Chairs, buy good ones that are light and sturdy, false economy buying cheap ones and the kids will fight over them.
    Don't bother with the fancy picnic table/chairs (Blue one) that fold into a handy box, waste of time in my opinion.
    Bike rack for the back, a cycle is always a good way to pass the time. Table tennis bats and ball, they don't take up much space and most sites have a table.
    We bring a badminton set which proved to be a big success.
    We bring some kayaks with us but that adds a tonne of wet gear to our load.
    Sky box and dish comes with us on holidays, great for weather forecast and a bit of Joe Duffy when set up in France.
    Portable DVD player always handy for the long journey.
    Cooking, We have a Cadac BBQ which has served us well, occasionally pack a small George Foreman, small electric kettle to save my gas on the campsites. Small electric heater for the chilly nights.

Is that enough to start your list? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Don't forget about the small items either.
    Dishes, cookware and cutlery that can stay in the van all the time, glasses, mugs etc
    Lots of small, sealable and refillable containers for sugar, salt, spices, biccies, etc
    A good supply of sticky plasters and other small injury first aid stuff
    A collection of old (kitchen) towels and other spillage fighting equipment (kitchen roll)
    Super glue, gaffa tape and WD40

and most importantly ...tin opener, bottle opener, corkscrew :D

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Neonjack

I'm new to campervannery..., campervanology..., this craic myself, but having read almost every thread in this forum for info, the first thing I put in the van was a roll of duct tape. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Note book so when you go, we don't have that you can write it donw. Get a argos catalg, good of ideas of what stuff you want. Some of their tables are ok.

Connect 4 game will keep the kids occupied. Ear plugs for you. Get a guide book to ireland.

Oh a ticket to France would be a great start

Get some cheap body boards and load up on wine!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 214 ✭✭demoreino

If the kids are occupied it makes it so much more enjoyable.
    Bring kyte, sand bucket and spades, plenty old clothes, football, hurley. Deck of cards, favourite board games, colouring books and pencils.
    All of the above would fit in a medium size bag.

An extension lead is handy for plugging in electric hob to cook outside.It keeps the van fresh and free from cooking smells.

Kevin www.iwmotorhomes.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 197 ✭✭zoltar_boi

A box of matches to light the gas to make a brew when you arrive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 adrianbennet

plastic laundry baskets [the folding ones if space is tight]are brill for efficiently carting quantities of clothes, food, and stuff from house to van and dirty dishes, clothes from van to wash-up places on site.

And you can never have too many hooks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,158 ✭✭✭shanec1928

pack all what you think you need and more.it wont be long till you find out what you need and dont need and as it goes on you will find you will reduce it every time

Advertisement