Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting Rid of old PC

Options
  • 15-03-2011 4:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

Hi,

I have a dell pc that I want to get rid of.
    Does anyone know of places that take old pcs to recycle them or something?
    Don't want to pay money to get rid of it in a dump.

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

Stabler008 wrote: »
    Hi,

I have a dell pc that I want to get rid of.
    Does anyone know of places that take old pcs to recycle them or something?
    Don't want to pay money to get rid of it in a dump.

Thank you.

If it works, clean out your data from it and offer it on Freecycle. If it does not then you can dispose of it for free at the Kinsale Road recycling facility. There is a specific place for electrical equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭mlumley

Dont forget to take out the hard drive and smash it with a hammer, so that no personal info can be got from it. Wiping clean wont do, forensic programs can recover wiped info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Daegerty

mlumley wrote: »
    Dont forget to take out the hard drive and smash it with a hammer, so that no personal info can be got from it. Wiping clean wont do, forensic programs can recover wiped info.

A simple dose of 'write zeros to disk' (dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hdX in *nix) will do unless your name is Bin Laden and someone with a lot of money is really determined to recover whatever few scraps of data they can. If you are really paranoid fill the disk up with other stuff like MP3's to the brim and leave them on it after zeroing but don't smash a perfectly good hard drive over some far fetched paranoia

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

If it still works i'd like to take it for the kids room:D

If you don't mind:)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Smash the hard drive, lol. Yeah. Or alternatively, get Hiram's Boot Disc, and use one of the many hard drive wiping utilities.

If it's working, and not particularly old, you might get a few quid for it on adverts.ie!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

The only real way to ensure the data is unrecoverable is to put it through a wood chipper! But unless you have something serious to hide (should we the reader be worried?!), a whole host of free utilities are available to run anything from one run at over writing the data (with 0s) to 7 (apparently the US DOD standard) to something called the Gutmann Method (overwrites 35 times). I can recommend ace utilities or ccleaner, or even if you boot up you computer with your restore discs, you can usually access a utility there too. But for selling it to the average punter, I'd go with the 1 or 3 passes and leave it at that.

If its still working, why not make someone's day, like that chap with kids who needs a pc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Daegerty

tommy21 wrote: »
    The only real way to ensure the data is unrecoverable is to put it through a wood chipper!

Except a wood chipper wasn't designed for chipping metal and that might damage it

You'd be better off taking out the platters and putting an angle grinder on them till there is nothing left but dust

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

Daegerty wrote: »
    Except a wood chipper wasn't designed for chipping metal and that might damage it

You'd be better off taking out the platters and putting an angle grinder on them till there is nothing left but dust

Fine the metal equivalent you get the picture either way :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

Paranoia ftl..

Raffeen dump near monkstown take them too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

When in your car on Paddys bridge eff it out the window and drive away nonchalantly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Urban Myths aside. Once data is overwritten I don't think anything can recover it.

http://www.anti-forensics.com/disk-wiping-one-pass-is-enough

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭tech

boot & Nuke :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I'm in your trash heap, stealing your hard drives.

Oh and a much easier way of wiping a hard drive is just run a magnet around it a few times.
    Man I must of cost my old school a fortune :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Maybe if they were really old drives, from like 10yrs ago, it might mess it up. But a magnet doesn't wipe the data from a modern hard drive. Theres actually powerful magnets already in a harddrive.

http://www.computer-hardware-explained.com/hard-drive-magnets.html

You need a laboratory degaussers or some massive industrial magnet to wipe a modern hard drive.

http://www.cobolhacker.com/?p=488

Advertisement